egluowner117

why not plastic perch instead of the wooden one?

It;s only the end of the bars that would need sealing: that is where the beasts lurk, deep inside the wood where you can hardly see them. I have suggested sealing these ends elsewhere on this forum. You could of course do it yourself with varnish.

I have found a simpler and more effective solution, however: I have packed Diatom into these ends, rubbing it in like Polyfilla, and I haven't seen a live mite since. If you simply wipe the bars clean, the Diatom stays put in the edges and it does not have to be replaced.

Omlet does sell replacement bars: see here for Mark 1 Eglus and here for Mark 2.

(Note to Omlet: the text for the Mark 2 Eglu is quite wrong, as it states that the Mark 2 replacement bars are only suitable for Mark 1 Eglus!)

Well, I've found some of my mark 1 bars really hard to move, but guess that's the nature of wooden ones :evil: Had to get a man to help :oops:

However, I do totally agree what a really handy tip Steph gave us; it was only when I actually rubbed Diatom (like Polyfilla, what a great description) on all the ends & rough bits, that the mites really did disappear. Its so easy just to keep the bars like this to avoid mites. Thanks Gallina!

Re plastic perches - the new plastic ark we have bought for our 'other' chickens has plastic perches and the chickens find them slippy :? . We've taken the plastic straight out and put a piece of wooden trellis in instead.

The wooden ones - especially with an application of Diatom - are much nicer for the chickens.

Yes, Jenny's a nest sleeper too! Bit of a nuisance as the nest is full of poo in the mornings :roll: !

Yep, no eggs just poo. :( I think they stand on the bars but hang their bum over it.

They also roost on the metal bars under the barbeque during the day.

Incidently the bars look just like our bath mat from Ikea! :D

Mine too!! Think I'm going to have to get another bag of straw soon..... I have to change it every day now!!! :roll:

A little tip for those who, like me, have a nest sleeper. I put a folded sheet or two of newspaper in the nest and in the morning poop comes out on paper and I change it again. No messy nest box now and harrie seems to find it quite snuggly.

BBx

we also have nest sleepers all four try to pile on.re wooden roosting bars if they liked the feel of the wood so much why are they all on the nest,:?:making it all pooey

also forum addict,pop on for quick look 2 hour later hoover still sat there and washing still in the machine :!: