docsquid

A base for the Cube and Run - UPDATED again final photos

I'd really like to do something to make the chickens comfortable for the winter. We don't have a huge space available, not because the garden is too small, but because the manhole cover is inconveniently situated right in the middle, so everything we do is constrained by that.

The plan is to clear some of the plants next to our neighbour's fence, and move them, then put down some link-a-bord and put the Cube and run on this. I will then put a clear tarp over the Cube run and extension, and put horse bedding (probably easibed or wood pellets) on the floor to a decent depth (maybe 10cm). They do get to FR most days for a few hours whenever we are at home, which is most days! So they aren't in there all the time.

Does this sound like the right kind of approach? The advantage of doing it this way is it would form a decent base for a WIR if we decide to move towards a WIR in the Spring when we are aiming to get three more chooks.

I'd just like the floor to be dry and comfortable for them, and to have something that is easy to clean so as to minimise the risk of worms and parasites and so forth.

Should I also be treating this bedding with some disinfectant e.g. Stalosan? I treat all their bedding and dust bath with Diatom and clean the Eglu once a week and change all the bedding in the nest box daily. Just hope I'm doing enough to keep them well.

Oh yes, I forgot, how do you clean out the Cube if it is based on the horse bedding? Do you have to move it off the permanent base to clean it? Or do you just scrub it but not hose it down?

Edited by Guest

That sounds perfect, Docsquid - as long as the run is covered pretty much to keep it dry, the aubiose/easibed or whatever you use should work really well to soak up poo and keep things clean. You don't need to disinfect it, just rake it out every six week or so (or longer if it looks ok!)

I sweep as much loose stuff out of my Cube as I can with a dust-pan and brush/rubber gloves etc, and then scrub it with a scrubbing-brush and soapy water, and finally rinse with a bucket of clean water - you do get some running through the hole in the nesting-box, but it soon soaks away. I don't use the hose because it won't reach that far up the garden!

Thank you. I've ordered the Link-a-Bord today - went direct to them because they do black and I don't want green. Also ordered a clear tarp. DH isn't happy about a permanent base as it implies we are keeping the chickens at the house, but I definitely want them to stay for the winter, so they'll need a base anyway ;)

Will get you some photos once I've cut down a tree and built the base!

It is only a very little and not very nice tree. I've been looking for an excuse to cut it down and now I have one.

I also need to move the fuchsias and the montbretias (Crocosmias) because they are getting too crowded so new flower beds will need to be dug. The whole flower bed is too crowded, so will benefit from having new flower beds round the Cube to be populated. Overall it is a good solution.

DH has finally agreed to a base for the Cube provided I build it myself (he will help me move the Cube into position). Ooh, I'm excited now!

Will get you some photos once I've cut down a tree and built the base!

Super Woman strikes! :lol::lol::lol:

That takes me back to earlier in the year when we were planning our WIR's and Ain't No Body Here was weilding her saw! :D Arrrh the memories!

Sounds like you have a plan docsquid!

The link-a-bord arrived today, and hoping the clear tarpaulin will too. The weather isn't going to be very nice to set it up for the next couple of days so I figure I'll build the base on Sunday, and then hopefully I can buy some Hemcore or Easibed and get them settled in. The run should be protected from one side by the fence and all along the run by the tarpaulin. A little may blow in under the Cube but not too much, hopefully, due to the fence covering the main prevailing wind direction.

Will post photos as and when I start. It seems a shame to dig up the fuchsias which are still in flower but OTOH they do need moving.

Does anybody know how much Hemcore/Easibed for a 2 x 3m run? I was thinking 2 bales but if it is three I'll need the trailer.

The link-a-bord arrived today, and hoping the clear tarpaulin will too. The weather isn't going to be very nice to set it up for the next couple of days so I figure I'll build the base on Sunday, and then hopefully I can buy some Hemcore or Easibed and get them settled in. The run should be protected from one side by the fence and all along the run by the tarpaulin. A little may blow in under the Cube but not too much, hopefully, due to the fence covering the main prevailing wind direction.

Will post photos as and when I start. It seems a shame to dig up the fuchsias which are still in flower but OTOH they do need moving.

Does anybody know how much Hemcore/Easibed for a 2 x 3m run? I was thinking 2 bales but if it is three I'll need the trailer.

I was going to chicken and run shuffle tomorrow too but looking at the forecast i think I will stay in with my book.

I only use one bale (25kg) of Aubiose in my 3m x 4m run and that is fairly deep.

Have you got something like lawn edging to cable tie to the edge of the run to keep the bedding in?

em

x

I only use one bale (25kg) of Aubiose in my 3m x 4m run and that is fairly deep.

Have you got something like lawn edging to cable tie to the edge of the run to keep the bedding in?

Thank you, that is very helpful. Now I know I don't need the trailer. I haven't got any edging but will have a tarp right down to the ground over the main part of the run (not the bit under the Cube). I'm taking this project softly as DH still mutters about the chickens going to our remote country site. A little at a time and I hope that we'll get the WIR by Spring :wink:

Well, it didn't quite go to plan, but they do now have a nice base for their run, a proper tarpaulin cover and a Hemcore base.

I forgot to order some of the linkages for the Link-a-Bord, so I had to bodge it with cable ties and bits of wood to hold the Hemcore in until the rest of the parts arrive. DH helped me with moving the Cube into place, and putting on the tarpaulin, but I did the rest of it all myself.

Here's the story:-

First of all, this is what it was like beforehand - I had to clear the flower bed including one bush and a small tree:-

eglu-and-ozzy.jpg

Then DH helped me get the Cube into position and put on the tarpaulin - here it is in position.

cube-in-position.jpg

Oops - I forgot some parts for the Link-a-Bord, so here is the edging bodged into place with some cable ties and bits of wood blocking the gaps.

cube-bodged-edging.jpg

And here is the spacious and desirable interior complete with chicken toys. Part of the tree I cut down is in there as a perch, as well as an oak log and a bit of old fence post.

cube-finished-with-toys.jpg

While I was doing this I had a lot of chicken help! Everything I did attracted a Bwark-Bok! Megan decided to take the opportunity of freshly-dug soil to have a dust/mud bath and turn herself into one of the muckiest chickens I've ever seen. At least she has started crouching too - two of them now! Maybe my efforts will be rewarded with an egg?

megan-mudbath.jpg

I hadn't thought of using linkaboard up close, good idea. The tarp looks good, I use shower curtains and they are really tatty and mucky now, may need a change. :D

Good to see Megan having a dustbath, Eider started today but I've not seen Motmot yet. Looks lovely and dry in there. :D

It is This one but they are now showing it as Out of Stock. Maybe I got the last one. It is 3.0m (which fits right over the run) x 2.0m which is the right length for the run plus one extension.

They will eventually get the conventional edging that goes round the outside of the skirt - the parts are on order. It's my own fault for missing the linkages off the original order.

I'm going to put large size gravel in the outside bit (we already have some), and then Hemcore on the inside, so I get a reasonable dry bit to walk on. I'll fill gravel right to the edge of the flower bed and also make a little gravel path to walk on to get to the Cube so I don't have to wear wellies whenever I go out to them.

The parts finally arrived for me to complete the run base today. I am sure that I did all this work merely to provide really exciting entertainment for three little chickens, because they absolutely loved every moment of the build.

I have now surrounded the run with Link-a-Bord, and then filled the space between the edging and the run with co"Ooops, word censored!" 20mm gravel. I also ordered longer dowels so I could knock them into the soil to anchor the boards in place. The gravel is large enough so it doesn't spill much into the run, and is filled to the same depth as the bedding, so that it keeps the bedding in.

I still have to build a little gravel path from the back door to allow me to walk to the run without muddy feet. I also have to re-plant the rhubarb, and get some decent winter pansies to put in the troughs - at the moment they are full of weeds!

It took 14 small 25kg bags of gravel which I got at a local builders' merchant for £1.70 per bag. This helped to level things out and hide the anti-tunnel skirt.

We have named it Chicken Base. DH was going round saying "Chicken one to chicken base, do you read me, Over?" after we named it, so I guess he approves.

Here it is, in all its glory.

chicken-base2.jpg

Blodwyn is in the run

chicken-base3.jpg

Gwennie is in the background of this picture.

Fantastic ideas- thanks, hope they are not copyrighted, may have to have a sort out with my girls accomadation when the weather holds out.

x

Definitely not copyrighted! Got lots of the ideas from here, just put it together in a way that suits our garden and has not completely alienated DH who seems to have accepted their presence here now.

Still hankering after a WIR when we get more chooks in the Spring....