Imogen

Christmas Chicks

Well, less than a week to go until Christmas and some lucky (or is it unlucky? I think lucky, and I'm ever so jealous!!) eglu owners have already experianced a fall of snow. I'm extremely tempted to put some tinsel around the top of the eglu run or maybe so ivy because I want the girlies to feel festive but I've resisted! :D

Today, I was decorating the Christmas tree and putting angel lights up in rooms and strings of dried oranges above the Aga and attaching mistletoe to doors etc etc etc and the chicks found it fantastic!!! At the sight of one of the Christmas trees (which you can see from the garden through a window in the sitting room), Gerty and Flo ran the length of the garden and stood in awe at the window, clucking constantly! They stood for quite a length of time - I don't think they had seen anything like it before! They are becoming more and more confident - my mum came downstairs this morning to find Gerty standing in the kitchen after leaping through the back door!! Probably trying to spot an appropriate place to put her little chicken stocking up.... :lol::roll:

Have any of your girls got into the Christmas mood yet? Or had an amusing experiance with the decorations/Christmas trees? And is anyone getting their girls anything for Christmas? I'm sure my two while be thrilled with the sprouts left over from Christmas dinner, and I've seen some of the other posts about appropriate chicken gifts (plus, we've donated some money to that Oxfam thing where they send a bunch of chickens over to Africa). So, any chicken related Christmas stories (or how your chicks reacted to snow) would be great (and I don't want to hear about any chickens on the dinner table! :cry: ) Merry Christmas!!!!

Hi Ice Skating Princess,

Glad to see you're into the festive spirit!

My girls had snow a few weeks ago and didn't know quite what to make of it. Jenny must have thought someone had stolen the grass by the way she stood staring at the white stuff that used to be green :shock: ! They didn't like getting their little starfish feet cold when they walked in it either.

There are a couple of postings about the snow last month in the Eglu section as well as this one (see the sticky called Queries about the hens and eglus in the snow and cold - http://club.omlet.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219) and they point out that the Eglu door and eggport hatch freeze shut when it snows or there is a heavy frost so beware out there and cover the hatch so you can get those eggs out in the morning!

As for Christmas, I've run out of money :cry: ! I was going to buy the girls a grain feeder which didn't make so much mess but I'm afraid they will have to wait until the New Year. They will get a whole tin of sweetcorn on Christmas Day but they won't touch sprouts (rather like my children in that respect!) unfortunately.

Have a very merry Christmas, Eglu owners and chickens :D !!

my un-named isa brown pullets, was awoken by snow on there first morning. just coming into lay and being their first day at home i had not expected any eggs, but right on cue my girls cames in and left me a christmas present each. it was magical. :D they had settled so well, today i decided to let them out of their run into the garden. they loved it, they were not too much of a problem to handle back in. :lol:

yep, i only got them yesturday (christmas eve) for a present; as i couldn't collect them on christmads day. already as i have said they ar so confident even to: come out of the cage, be handled and lay eggs. they have only just come into lay as they are pullets. this mornings eggs could have been their first. :lol:

this christmas really has been magical :D:)

That's smashing!

Being a hen owner is something a bit different, isn't it. They're more exciting than rabbits and guinea pigs anyway!! In no time, you'll be cuddling them and that's lovely. Try to get them used to being handled and that will make lots of things much easier for you - especially catching them if you have to! Sounds like they're pretty settled already so you're doing a great job on your first couple of days!

It's great that they're laying already so you don't have the anxious wait for the first egg in the nest like some Eglu owners have. I hope you're going to enjoy eating the eggs too - they're so much better than shop bought ones!

Good luck and enjoy your girls.

Marigold is a BRILLIANT name!! Well done!

my hens are the most exciting pets i have ever had. i have already cuddled one (marigold). the other hen seems a bit shy but i'm sure she wioll get used to me and my mum and dad who has just christened her 'buttercup' our last name is Butterworth so it seems to fit as it has been my nick name for a while. this is not certain as yet but it will probably stick.

Hi Jack Marigold and Buttercup sound like really good names, I named my girls after the chicken run film and they seem to suit their characters perfectly Ginger being the braver of the 2, and I can just imagine Babs saying I don't like gravy. My husband has even started calling me Mrs Tweedy Ha! Ha! :D

them names are not fianl, i was also thinking about naming my hens after the chicken run crew. but i promised my mum to name it after my late grandma (i never met her) 'margeret' so 'maggie' and 'peggy' sprang to mind but i have named one marigold after the glove on its head (comb) my mum seems to like the names though

Hello Jack

How brilliant - eggs on Christmas day What a wonderful present :lol:

We had two eggs from our newer girls but the older two took a day off yesterday.

I took the children aged 6,4, and 3 out to look for eggs. I lifted my 3 year old niece to look in the nest and there was a beautiful white egg from Mrs. White. She was so excited!. The other Eglu had the deep brown egg from Lottie.

Keep enjoying your Christmas present Jack.

Lesley

the girls had another day playing in the snow.

- yes, the eggs were the best i have ever tasted.

handled both of my hens today; the confident marigold seemed settled but Buttercup and bit fidgety.

some pictures are currently uploading onto the club gallery now!

hope your eggs tasted as good as they sound Kate.

Hi Jack,

Your girls are doing really nicely - eggs and cuddles, that's great. Buttercup will get more confident if you keep on picking her up every day. Jennifer PP used to be really nervous and difficult to catch but she's a real sweetie now and you can cuddle her for as long as you want. Clarissa, my GNR , never had a choice as my youngest son, Ollie, decided she was HIS hen and carries her round the garden tucked up under his arm. She is so tame, you wouldn't belive it!

We're having scrambled !egg!!egg! from my girls for tea tonight. I've got a lovely big bowl of eggs saved up all week so we can really have a Boxing Day feast. It'll be bright yellow too! Yummy! Our home produced eggs are the best eggs I've ever tasted - nothing comes anywhere close to them.

Glad to hear that you are enjoying your eggs too! Boiled, scrambled, poached or fried???

Take care,

Oh Jack!

I LOVE boiled eggs and soldiers! My mouth is watering!! I'm going to have to go and do our scrambled eggs before I short circuit the computer keyboard!!! My 2 boys like a dippy egg too - yummy!

I'm looking forward to seeing the photos of your girls in the gallery. Hope you manage to upload them OK. I had an awful job but got there in the end. Mine are on page 4 of the gallery I think in an album called Kate's Girls.

Cheerio :D !