Millie-Annie

WELCOME NEW MEMBERS. INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE

Hi,

Me (ste) and my partner (stu) are new to this site, well we have been browsing and commenting on it for a few weeks. We am completeley new to chickens. We have built ourself a walk in run on the allotment which is nearly complete and my (cube orange) should be arriving on thursday. We hope to get 6 warrens at the weekend to add to the WIR.

Eventually when we are an eggspert, we will be looking at incorporating a (red eglu) into the WIR and doing our good deed and having some ex battery hens but that will be a while off yet I think.

Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of chickenkeeping, Sam and Ste & Stu.

Many of us here knew very little about hens before we started here Sam, but this is a great place to learn more, and share experiences. :D

Meanwhile, only 2 days until Cube day, and then chickens, how exciting! I like your plans Ste & Stu. :D

I hope you all enjoy browsing the different sections. Looking forward to reading more posts about your chickens too.

Hi Claire!

I wish you all of the best look with your girls, its highly addictive, trust me. Any questions, dont hesitate to post, all the members and moderators on Omlet are very friendly and answer you pretty quick. Have you got planned names for your girls? :wink: Also, here on Omlet, we love pictures! So post some pictures of you're Orps, when you get them, i hope they settle in fine, Goodluck!

Mollie x

Hi Claire,

welcome to you and your chickens. This is a great forum, no question is too stupid (believe me, I have asked a few dumb questions) People are very kind and will always find an answer for you. I have had my girls for 6 weeks and have calmed down considerably (I was a stressed mess for the few weeks before they arrived) They are addictive and you will have a ball.

Colette.

Proud new owners of two chickens!

We have just recieved our first chickens and eglu. The chickens are beautiful, one gingernut GNR and one pepperpot PP . We look forward to our first egg, which may not be for a couple of weeks or so apparantely but well worth the wait!! They are a welcome addition to our new home which we only bought 8 weeks ago and sit beautifully between our new veg plot and 'woodland area' (that's a couple of trees!).

Lovely Jubbely!!

Proud new owners of two chickens!

We have just recieved our first chickens and eglu. The chickens are beautiful, one gingernut GNR and one pepperpot PP . We look forward to our first egg, which may not be for a couple of weeks or so apparantely but well worth the wait!! They are a welcome addition to our new home which we only bought 8 weeks ago and sit beautifully between our new veg plot and 'woodland area' (that's a couple of trees!).

Lovely Jubbely!!

Congratulations and welcome. We got the same as you a week ago. Sounds like you are setting up a lovely new home :D

Proud new owners of a pink Eglu (pink eglu) and four chickens - a black araucana PP (I call her Aurora, my husband calls her Becks) a hybrid ginger brown hen GNR (I call her Merriweather, hubby calls her Rooney - is it obvious that the World Cup is approaching?) and two teenage cuckoo marans (Bluebelle) (Bluebelle) (I call them Flora and Fauna, hubby calls them Agador and Spartacus!)

We're completely new to this - the Eglu arrived yesterday morning and we picked The Girls up last night

The hens were kept in separate pens by the farmer so they've been sorting out the pecking order last night and this morning in their new premises - nothing too violent, just a few well-aimed pecks - It looks like Merriweather is going to be the boss of the bunch, and Aurora second in line. Flora and Fauna are bottom of the totem pole for now, possibly because they are younger than the other two - Aurora and Merriweather are c 20 weeks old, but Flora and Fauna are only 12 weeks old

We hadn't intended on getting four birds, we were only going to get three. The marans were in a pen with their mother and siblings, the hybrid was in a pen with other hybrids, but poor little Aurora was in a pen with 5 large cockerels! In an attempt to be delicate, I will say only that she has a bald spot on her back from the amorous attentions of her pen-mates. Needless to say, we felt we HAD to rescue her! :cry:

The Girls enjoyed a a few cherry tomatoes and a quartered peach last night and hubby will be picking up some better food today for them (the farmer gave us a little to tide us overnight - it is some sort of spent grain - not very nutritious and it STINKS!)

When it came time last night for The Girls to go to bed, we were a little nervous about being able to get them to go into the Eglu (with it being a new environment) - however, can I just say how AMAZING the trick is (can't remember where I read it - possibly in the Eglu guide) to put a torch into the Eglu at dusk and they will make their own way in! I did have to - encourage - Flora and Fauna to go in - they looked ready to settle down in the run because Aurora had parked herself right inside the Eglu doorway. But all in all, it only took about 20 minutes

So, all in all, it is the start of an exciting new adventure and I'm looking forward to getting advice from all of you!

Hi. I am afraid I have already been posting without introducing myself as I found this section a bit late! Apologies! :oops:

My eldest daughter and I have been trying to persuede my OH that we should have chickens for some time and at last he has been won over. So much so that he insisted on building the run for them. I am picking up my Eglu tomorrow and hoping to collect four ex batt hens on Sunday. We started off with the idea of building a simple run, thinking the chickens would be safe during the day and in their Eglu at night but after reading so many fox stories we have completely redesigned our run to make it secure. :pray:

In addition to my own three children I also childmind and they are all very excited about getting our new additions. I have been assured that I will have lots of help looking after them but we'll see. I think having the chickens will be a fantastic experience for all of the children, not just because it teaches them how to care for animals but I also like them to know where food comes from (not in shiny packets from the supermarket!). I have also talked to them about Battery hens and warned them what they might look like. My 6 year old daughter got very upset, bless her. I felt really mean afterwards and wondered if I should have told her. I just wanted to explain why they might be missing a few feathers and why we might not get the hens from the breeder! Oh well.

Anyway, I love this forum already and have found it so educational and the people on here really helpful. I am now really excited about collecting our girls and actually learning for myself.

Hope I havent waffled too much! :roll:

New here.

MissMac & I have decided to invest in an Eglu & chooks this summer. Hopefully we can find a used one (hint hint...)

We have a severely autistic son who loves animals and is quite partial to a boiled egg, too. If we get it right, he'll keep everything beautifully clean for us...

Hi to everyone, I am new to this site and chickens. I am getting my chickens this week. We are getting 3 Goldlines. I am very excited. :D

No doubt I will be on here asking for lots of advice. :)

I will keep you updated on my progress and when we get the girls. (I'll probably bore you) I will introduce them once we get them

Olivia

Hi My name is Ange - my daughter Amanda and my hubby Kev are not too keen on getting chickens but I cannot wait even though I have never kept chickens before - am really excited getting my eglu classic on Thursday but will have to wait a bit longer for my 3 ex batts as the next rehoming won't be til beginning of August which seems ages away. Went on Roz,Andy and Sue's course today in Cheadle Hulme it was brilliant which makes waiting even harder. Hope to keep in touch with the lads who were on the course via this forum. Facinating forum which is very comforting knowing there is some much experience and advise out there. Hopefully keep in touch soon.

Thanks

Hi. I am a new member. I have never kept hens before but I am getting four ex-bats in July/August. I am so excited but have no idea which is the best housing to get. Looking at the cube with the extended run. I have three rescue cats (I am a trustee of a cat rescue charity but my OH will not let me have more!), a rescue dog and soon our rescue hens! I bargained with my OH - no children just rescue hens! I live in York and have I already mentioned, I am so excited about my ex bat girls?

As of today, I have become the very happy owner of a yellow Eglu-go 2 ginger ranger gels and a delightful Miss Pepperpot!

Thrilled to bits doesn't even begin to cover my feelings in owning these gels.

We live aboard a narrowboat and the gels will be travelling with us when we go off on our travels. The Eglu fits perfectly into the welldeck of our boat and the run collapses to fit on the top so once we moor up at the towpaths edge, our gels will be able to enjoy their holiday as much as we will. Our 15 year old labbie has had a sniff and then wandered off from them whereas our 10 year old Springer is determined to make our gels work or his affections.

I was broght up with chickens but until now was never able to own any, I intend to make up for lost time though!

Thank you for sparing the time in reading this and I hope to join in gain later. Take care everyone

Best wishes,

One of the Chicks afloat!

welcome, chicks afloat - wow, I think that's the first time I've heard of hens on a narrowboat, sounds brilliant! You can still have fresh eggs every morning even when you're travelling. We'd love to see some pictures of your boat when you've got time.

Hi everyone,

I'm a brand new keeper of chickens. It will be three weeks on Thursday since I went to get my chickens (a Sussex star and a Goldline) and put them in their new home, a second hand (green eglu). So far all is going well and one of our hens has been laying for nearly a week now, the other seems a little reticent but I'm sure she'll get there soon too. They really are great fun to watch and love roaming round our garden despite my three-year-old son, ten-month-old daughter and the four cats that they often have to share their space with. We're lucky to have a fairly good sized garden though, so plenty of room for everyone.

I've already found some great advice on the boards, so thanks to everyone for that and no doubt the future good advice I'll receive.

Thalia

Hi,

I am new to the forum and new to chicken keeping. We have just got our first chickens, a sussex star and an amber ranger, they both seem very friendly birds and I can't wait to see them roaming in the garden. Lemon and Pepper are point of lay pullets so I am excitedly awaiting our first eggs. :) Spending hours watching chickens at the stables persuaded me to get my own. :D

Amanda

(white chicken) Pepper

GNR Lemon