Millie-Annie

WELCOME NEW MEMBERS. INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE

Hello everyone.

I've been trauling through the forum for advice for a long time now and thought joining was well over due so here I am. Not that new to chicken keeping now. This is my 3rd winter. Started with 3 warren hybrids name Ruby, Layla and Bernie. We lost Ruby and Layla last spring which was heart breaking and bought 2 more Warrens this spring. Havent named the new new warrens after loosing Ruby but caught myself calling one of them Ruby so might as well.

We've had relatively few problems mostly new owner anxiety but I would like to thank everyone's helpful posts. The real problems started when we had all the rain last year and being in a clay area their area became water logged. Did our best to manage the problem. Determined not to lose any this year. Any suggestions would be helpful. Dont really want to put the eglu classic on slabs. I'll be looking around more more advice. Thanks again.

Mumma Ruby

Hi MammaRuby. Chickens hate wet feet and in Winter that can make them very cold, miserable and run down. I'd make a wooden frame, fill it with wood chips and plonk the whole lot on top. Sides need to be a bit higher so they don't throw it all out and consideration given to how fox resistant your final arrangement is. So perhaps start with a bed of slabs and put the rest on top? We have all our runs on a slight slope so water runs away better, but still not ideal, even though they are all covered.

Hello, I have just joined the forum. We have 2 very tame free-ranging Morans, taken on from neighbours who moved away just over a year ago. I spotted a louse the other day (I think?) and have bought some powder, but how to apply? Can you buy some sort of puffy thing to puff the powder into their feathers? Can't find anything on the Omlet website. I also have diatom powder which I just spinkle about into their favourite dust bath areas. Thank you......

Hi and welcome to the forum :D To be honest, louse powder is a total pain to apply - I tried it a couple of times and ended up with more powder on me then the chooks :lol: It's really a two person job - one to hold the chicken and one to dust the powder into the feathers right down to the skin. If your powder comes in a shaker pot it's a lot easier. That said, which powder have you bought? Is it Barrier Louse Powder? If so, in my experience it doesn't do anything except smell nice. It certainly doesn't zap lice.

The best product I have found is Johnson's Anti Mite Spray such is actually for caged birds but perfectly safe for chickens. Again it's easier with two people but you simply part the feathers in a couple of areas (I usually spray under the vent and under the wings) and spray the product onto the skin. A quick blast in each area should do the trick. Do two treatments, 7 days apart, which should solve your problem. After each treatment you need to throw the eggs away for a couple of days as traces of the spray can find their way into the eggs. Hope that helps! :D

Hello there. Just joined as I'm waiting for the arrival of my Cube to my home in Michigan, and I'm so excited! I've had smart little wooden coop a carpenter friend build three years ago with a little run attached to our garage. Well, horrible straight line winds blew through our town and a huge tree fell on our garage and run. Hens unharmed! I decided it was time to get the Cube I've always wanted for ease of cleaning and to give the girls fresh ground regularly. As cute as the wooden coop was, of course it was a pain to clean and the run was just nasty. My poor four little silkies and one buff orpington have no enclosed run right now, so I try to let them free range a bit during the day, but we have so many predators -- hawks, raccoons, coyotes -- I'm worried and I just keep them inside the coop mostly. At least it's winter. Clara at Omlet said it should only be 7-8 days before it gets here, so that was a big relief! I'll let you know if I have questions with assembly! I can't wait!

Hi I've never kept chickens before, but am taking the plunge after reading hundreds of forum posts in preparation, although I am very nervous still. I have a Cube and WIR on order for delivery in around 4 weeks time, by which time hopefully we will have the base for the run ready. We are making an area that will be paved for the Cube and attached WIR to sit on and the run area will be 5 x 2 metres. We will be using auboise on the floor. We have ordered 6 chickens from Omlet, 3 each Gingernut Rangers and Miss Pepperpots as they hopefully will be good for us as first timers. We have retired so should be able to spend quite a lot of time with them as we love our garden and grow our own vegetables etc.

Although I will look forward to having some lovely eggs, the chickens will primarily be pets. I am more keen than my husband, but am hoping he gets as interested in having them as me once they arrive.

We have a large garden so may be able to do some free ranging later, but we have 4 Jack Russell terriers and 2 fish ponds so obviously will have to be very careful if we do decide to try free ranging and will need electrified fencing as we back onto open land and have foxes in the area.

i hope we all enjoy the experience and that it lasts for many years.

Hello omlet members

New member nerves!!

Victoria here and my backyard coop is in Derby City. Not set up yet as awaiting delivery of my omlet cube & 2 chucks at the end of July. Very excited at the prospect of keeping chickens. Just be warned I might be here asking for all sorts of starter advice, even though I've done a fair bit of research I'm aware there's still loads I don't know!

Hoping to have a few more birds shortly, so if there are any POL purebreeds available locally please let me know - I'm looking for suggestions 're calm & friendly breeds - if such exists! I also have a Scottish terrier, Campbell & need to know about how to encourage a safe relationship between him & the chucks. Initially I plan to fence the two apart until I get the lay of the land.

Returning after a little absence! Used to post under the WarrensWorld, ID. The email provider I was using went belly-up, caused a few problems. Now I have a new email provider, costs money! We no longer have Warrens/ISA Browns. Now we are owned by Blackrocks, White Sussex and Bluebells, hence the Black-White-Blue. Though the flock could well increase in types as well as number.

Just purchased a large 20 bird coop, and a 3 x 4 meter covered run, they free range after 12 am, we still have a large garden.

So we'll keep a watch on the forum, and it's nice to be back. Colin.

Hi all, just joined up!

Bad luck has brought me here as we have recently bought a Cube of flea-bay. Our old coop got infested with red-mite. Our poor chooks refused to go in it and I ended up burning it (without the chooks in of course!). We were going to replace it with another wooden one but went overboard and bought a Cube instead, well worth it IMHO, easy to keep clean and they love it!

We used to have 6 chickens (three Marrans, one bantam that lays blue eggs, and 2 hybrids (one Warren I think, the other has black tips to the tail) but we lost a Marran a while ago to gape worm, and just lost another to EYP (Egg Yolk Peritonitis), she was really sick and swollen poor girl.

Now just have 4, which is enough for us.

Well what an eventful week!

Hello Forum members

How big are these cubes? I know, the info gives U the measurements but honestly, until it's put together (by the wonderful George (who politely put up with me calling him Tom!) from Omlet) U just don't appreciate the size - absolutely awesome

My Cube arrived on Monday along with my GNR & PP, (24 wks old), collected my 1st egg before teatime; this hen keeping is sooooo eggciting!

Have successfully integrated my younger (18wk old) Silver Sussex & Bluebelle into the cube without any bullying, although being younger they're not top of the pecking order. My 2 Orps are only babies (14wks) so I've got them in a separate setup but within sight so hoping for another smooth run once they're ready to join the big girls. Maybe let them freerange together once they're settled & know where they live!

Can't believe how tame they are already, PP - Patsy is eating out my hand & Duchess is so cocky, she'll jump on my shoulder just so she can attempt to hop out the run.

Thanks to all - I've learnt so much from reading posts, topics etc on this forum that I actually felt like I knew what to do, have had a few panics (Duchess's 1st bid for freedom & "did I lock that gate" but overall just loving it & can hardly wait to let them out.

Happy Derby girl..Victoria

Edited by Guest

Welcome :D . Sorry to hear about the girls you lost :( . Enjoy your cube, I bet your girls are happy in it :) .

Thanks, our girls are really happy in it, although the ladder got a bit of getting used to.

Going to have to get some accessories for it, such as a rain cover and keep a look out for a larger door for the run as the one that came with it is a little on the small side (would be nice to get inside the run).

Hi I am new to Omlet, but on my third year of hen keeping. We started with 3 Gingers off the farmer where we live, which came to him second hand, so were a bit elderly. We lost them one by one. We got two Amber Stars last year, one of which lays every day, (Amber), the other (Lara), layed for about eight months, a lot of double yolkers, and many softies, but hasn't layed for about two months. She seems quite happy though. She was a bit under the weather a couple of months ago, so we took her to our vet, who said she was fine, and he could feel an egg, which she layed, but nothing since.

We have just got two more hens, a Gingernut, and a Speckledy who are both 21 weeks old. The Gingernut, (Ginger, not very original I know), is laying daily, the Speckledy, (Sky), isn't quite ready yet.

We have integrated the new and old hens without too much trauma. The old girls seem to have accepted Ginger, but not so much Sky. Amber can be quite a bully to Sky. Do you think I should leave them to it, or maybe give Amber a bit of time out?

Hello,

I'm Emma, I used to be a member here a loooooooooooonnnnnnnnggggggg time ago, we have only 3 ladies in our flock. I'm currently waiting for our walk in run. Was going to collect as getting very impatient as as a holiday I'd looming thought it's worth the 2 hr drive lol- but they are not open at the weekends ....... Boo!

Xx

Hello everyone - my name is Elizabeth. I am new to keeping hens. I have just survived the first 6 weeks with my 5 ex battery hens. I have been on a really steep learning curve and have had lots of issues with the hens. They had heavy infestations of lice/fleas/round worms/tape worms/bumblefoot as well as lashes, bullying, laying funny things - all of which is quite normal I now know but caused me a lot of worry. The hens have been great despite everything - they are funny, intelligent - some of them, fantastic companions in the garden - I garden alot - they free range from the moment I open the cube to bedtime - they have been great about putting themselves to bed, just the first night they all had to be lifted into the roosting area but they knew where to lay the eggs from the start and now put themselves to bed every night. They forage all round the garden but they leave my flower beds alone. We are all totally smitten! I have a couple of questions that I would like to ask so will post them on the appropriate forums - and I look forward to hearing from some of you - hopefully!

Hi everyone I'm Emma. Been thinking about keeping chickens for a while and his last week or so hubby has said yep lets do it! We have already gone from wanting a wooden coop and small run to deciding actually a WIR and cube would be better, so I've spent the past few days reading all of the stickies walk in run threads to gain ideas. It's going to be a 5/6 month project as we are building the run ourselves and have to sort the garden area out where it's going to be (shift tons of stones and then lift old covers before doing the base etc), plus I have three girls so life's busy! Very excited about this journey though and looking forward to getting to know you all more :D

Hi all, my names Robbie and I'm interested in keeping feathered leg Bantams.

It will be a new experience for me as I have never kept chickens etc in the past.

Just finished levelling and removing tons of old rubble from my garden. It is now a blank canvas for me to work on.

My plan is to make a polytunnel that will eventually have an Aquaponics system (long term goal). I will also be building a wildlife friendly pond, some benches for my bonsai trees, the rest of the garden is for my Bantams :)

I don't have a lot of cash, so will be making everything from reclaimed materials etc.

The start of my project is making a nice environment for my future feathered friends.

Once I get some spare cash I would like to get an Eglue, pretty cool homes they are for sure :)

Got tons of questions, and looking forward to learning as much as possible while making new friends in the process :)

Hello everyone,

I have just joined so thought I would introduce myself.

I live in Invercargill New Zealand and am loking at getting my first chickens later this year its something I have always wanted to do and thought why not the only thing that was holding me back was what to do with them when we are away we have weekends away a lot but I have read that they are fine for a few days as long as they have water and feed I will use automatic ones for this reason we have a very good neighbour who checks on our property now and I am sure a few eggs in return for checking on the girls will be an added bonus for him have other family members who have hens and they head away too. Looking at getting 3 NZ cochins to start with and am now leaning towards a cube with 1m extension so I can future proof and get more hens if needed. Plan on moving it around our garden on a regular basis.

Hi and welcome from the other side of the world!

Chickens are awesome! Loads of people here have cochins (better known as pekins in UK, they are called cochins in the Netherlands as well). From what I have read from their experiences, they are real little characters!

A Cube with a 1 m extension sounds like plenty of space for three bantam chickens.

Two things to keep in mind:

- when wanting to add new chickens you might need extra accomodation or being able to split the run. They are not always very accepting of new chickens.

- moving around the Cube is definitely a possibility, but most of us here have since then decided to leave it in a fixed place. Chickens are little destroyers and can turn over a piece of lawn/garden in a matter of days. (My case a matter of hours...) Especially in wet periods you are going to look at several bald spots on your lawn, when it won't grow back as fast.

Thanks for the welcome cattails NZ cochins are a recreated breed I went out and saw a breeder over the weekend they r very cute if you want tocheck out the website http://fiordlandcochins.weebly.com/ at least then you can see what it is I am talking about they were very cute.

Yup realise that will need to move the cube and run we will see how we go.