Millie-Annie

WELCOME NEW MEMBERS. INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE

Hi and welcome!  When we got chickens 10 years ago, we were like you and they went everywhere.  Sadly, when we had no garden, (because they’d eaten it) and too much poo to comfortably walk around or for the grandchildren to play safely, we confined them primarily to their own bit of the garden.  Still a fairly large space. That was about 5 years ago.  

With the Avian Flu outbreak two years ago, we had to confine them to their run for months.  And I realised that, actually, as long as they have food, water, a few interesting perches and toys, they are just as happy.   They adapt.  This gradual reduction of their freedom might also be due to the fact that most of them are now ancient, 9 and 10.  So all they want to do is potter, eat and sleep.  Although theses oldies have access to an enclosed wider space than their run during the day, they often stay put in the run. 

So, it will be interesting to see where you are in a few years time.   Beware though, they are addictive! 

• Like 1

On 07/06/2017 at 11:57 PM, theboyfrost said:

We have just moved into an old house in Belper, Derbyshire with a very long garden, and the current Mrs Frost always wanted chickens so we are going to have some. We have gone in the whole hog and just bought a cube with 3M Run for delivery at the end of the month (purple), we have also booked on to a chicken keeping course via omelet. We decided on the cube over the up as it just seems to be more spacious, we probably would like 4 chickens.

We are completely new to this (and the gardening we are having to do!). So expect us to be asking lots of obvious questions on here !

Welcome. The cubes are great, and even the new ones will hold 4 large hens easy enough; it's the outdoor space that's somewhat more important. If you can give them all at least 1sqm each, they'll appreciate it. Ask away with questions, I know I did when I first started out!

You'll find it oddly addictive.

• Like 1

Granny Trish- luckily he finds it amusing 😂 was quite suprised how desperate they were to eat beef burgers! And they are terrors for marmite! I used to sit in the garden and eat breakfast with them had to give up as I didn't get to eat any of it!

Patricia W- wow 9 or 10! Amazing.  What's your secret?! Yes the poo everywhere gets a little annoying! 😂 and yes so so so addictive.  I absolutely could not be without my girls now! So true re run, we are reducing a bit prior to our holiday (I'm going to miss them!) and they do seem fine.  Altho I miss my little house invaders even if I don't miss the poo!  

:)