Millie-Annie

WELCOME NEW MEMBERS. INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE

Hi Everyone,

Well this is my first post, and im sure there will be many more when my 3 Isa Browns come this Wednesday. Just waiting for delivery of my coop and i can go and collect my chickens, or girls as im calling them already lol.

Hopefully have them before wednesday. Very excited, but at the same time, a little nervous. Ive done as much reading as i can so they will hopefully have a great new home to live.

Im going to have a good read through this forum now and ill be back soon. Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself...

Take care

Mark

Hi Mark and welcome :D

The forum is a great place for advice and info - I think I must have read just about every post there was before I got my girls!

Good luck when they arrive and dont forget to tell us all about them (we like piccies too) :lol:

No problems, ill get some piccies up asap. Just been told my coop should be here this afternoon, but i bet i have to wait till tomorrow.

Im just trying to source a good chicken feed company that also sell lots of other accessories regarding red mite sprays, grit, etc. Would want to deal with ONE company really that i can order it all from, but being new to this im not sure who is the best, fastest delivery etc etc.

Hi, another very excited new eglu owner making my first post!

My eglu !gogreen! arrived 2 weeks ago, here in Bristol. We picked our chickens the very next day, a speckly PP (maran crossed with barred plymouth rock), called Esme and an amber star (white chicken) , which the boyfriend insisted on naming Jeff, not sure why but hey - at least I managed to get him round to the idea of chickens somehow! No !egg! s yet, but having read through the posts about egg laying, I'm not too worried. Think they are just getting used to Florence the cat and getting settled in. Jeff was the bossy one to start with but now Esme holds her own, they are fascinating to watch - I know Florence will agree on that one!

Just want to say the eglu is fantastic for new hen keepers and the support that comes with it from the forum is brilliant. I can see why hen-keeping is so addictive!

Hi,

I've been the proud parent of PP Babs and GNR Ginger now for 10 whole days. I've almost forgotten what life what like before the little dears :D A great source of entertainment!

GNR is just so inquisitive, PP is just a little reserved atm, but I'm sure this'll change with time (just fed them mealworms and oh my gosh PP was beside herself with excitement!). They've been out and about in the back garden now and had a field day exploring!!

So far we've had 8 !egg! s, with PP laying on the first day (on route I might add!), the second day she treated us to a double yolker!

Love my girls to bits :dance:

xx

Hi Chucks (corney I know)

This is my first post, to say Hi.

I am waiting for the tv programme on bbc2 next thursday - private lives of chickens- to see what's involved before owning chickens. But I would welcome any helpful hints/advice etc from people who can remember what it was like, the plans you made etc when you decided you were going to become a chicken keeper. I don't want to get it wrong because these a little people in feathered clothing so to speak and need the right love and care.

My other question, are there any keepers in the west midlands/warwickshire/worcs area - sort of between warwick-redditch-solihull that can advise and would be willing to become a buddy, who I can call upon for advice, who in the worst case senario - like I can't catch my chickens - would be willing to come to me and show me how to do it.Yes I know that's cheeky but having 'chicken friends' would be nice too.

Also,I would like to also have some battery rescues(laying or lack of not a problem) as well as some young chucks that will lay. Any advice on that (mixing the two kinds) wouldbe great.I would like 2 layers and 2 rescues.

So there you have it, I've taken the plunge in saying hi, and hope everyone will welcome me into the roost, be happy to share info/advice, and become friends.

Hope to hear soon,

Gj

Hello Chickmad, Midsey, Dangri and Gigilly, how lovely to see more people joining the forum and saying hello.

I hope you all enjoy browsing the forum, I learnt everything I know about hens from here.

Chickmad, my own experience is the Eglus are amazing for cutting down potential redmite problems, I'd recommend them every time! Prevention and, if necessary elimination, are so easy with Eglus compared to wooden houses, I'm delighted with mine.

Gigilly, when you've familiarised yourself with the different sections, it might be worth starting a new topic in Chickens asking about other local keepers.

Meanwhile, have fun reading, and welcome to the forum everyone, I look forward to hearing more about your chickens in future. :D:D

New to the forum, Republic of Ireland, cube arriving next Friday, we have a dog, cat, 15mth old baby girl and are waiting on our second baby in Oct. We have never kept chickens before and have started growing our own veg this year. We are currently scanning the posts for any help regarding siting the cube, chicken feed, times to put the chickens to bed and when we have to let them out, cleaning regimes etc. Today we went to visit the mand who we will get our chickens from so it's all getting very close.

Not sure if we should set the cube up on a raised area surrounded with sleepers and filled with bark or what to do so we will be probably on reading posts frantically until they arrive. I wonder is there a list of essential things that we need to get before they arrive like : food bin, health products, cleaning products etc?

So, it's good to be here and to be able to access so much help at the touch of a keyboard!

Hi I'm Julie

I'm very new to chickens! I've had my girls for 3 weeks and already have had some eggs. They've settled in well, i have an eglu with a run, but let them out when i'm at home. Just a couple of problems if anyone can help. I have no problem getting them in the run (grapes do the trick) but they don't go into the eglu at night, i'm assuming it's because it's been so warm. Should i be getting them in, if so how? i've tried the grape trick but they're too clever. The other problem is picking them up, no amount of grapes or coaxing will get them to stand still long enough, any ideas.

Other than that they're great, wonderful characters and so funny. I have a labrador who loves them, and is even more excited than us when the lay an egg.

Hi,

just got our first chickens ever yesterday, 3 ex free range commercial girls, keeping them in our back garden which is not big but full of lovely stuff. Our neighbours both sides have loads of land and horses and goats and things so no problem with them!

Chickychick

Hello! I'm Sarah! We had chick chicks when we were kids and i've had to wait to buy a house to get some again! but first weekend in May i got my girlies! they are great and the kids love them! A speckly GNR , bluebell (Bluebelle) and amber star (white chicken) . wasn't keen on a white one but she has won our hearts and is the ring leader!! lol!

A big wave to Ariel in Republic of Ireland, how exciting that your Cube is arriving this Friday! There may well be an answer to your question in the FAQ section, but do start a topic in Chickens to ask if you get stuck & we'll try and help. :)

Same to Julie, I know some members have had this difficulty, so do have a browse around and post if you're still stuck, there's always someone to help. :)

Chickychick, your location sounds wonderful, lucky chickens! :)

Sarah (Sazmet), I'm so glad to hear about your chickens. I also nearly didn't get a white one, but now I'm besotted with them. Lovely white eggs too. :)

Welcome to you all, I hope you enjoy the forum and your hens. :D

Hello fellow chicken owners,

My name is Sian and ive had chickens for about a month now.

They're odd little things =) Ive been trying to figer out what all the noises they make mean, not having much luck so far, so if anyone has any ideas i would be greatfull to know. =)

Not sure why my gingernut ranger (lottie) isn't laying yet either, maybe just a late bloomer?

Hi, just got my first ever chickens,Thelma and Louise. Am now paraniod about foxes and expectations of partner who will go mad if they wreck the joint! Worst scratching of grass happens where they toss the food out of the grub and onto the lawn. Can I reduce this tendancy of theirs in some way?? How can I get my man to bond with the girlies?

All suggestions welcome.......

Edited by Guest

Hi

I am not totally new to Chickens as I have had 4 ex battery x (2 hens and 2 cocks) for the last year, however I am new to this site. Sadly due to the fact that my chickens are not that friendly, despite lots of handling, the 2 cocks had to be re-homed as they went for my toddler a number of times. So I decided that it was time to boost the group and purchased 3 Barnevelder pullets (approx 10 weeks). After much discussion with the owner and a number of other older generation hen keepers the advice I was given on introducing them was to put them all in the hen house at night and then let them get on with it the following day. Having read articles on here I now know it was the wrong approach. Now I have 2 hens (the originals) who constantly bully the 3 Barnevelders. There are numerous feeding and watering stations in their enclosure however the originals love to corner the new ones and drive them through the electric fence. How can I ensure that they integrate more successfully, at the moment I am splitting their time in the enclosure but as I have 2 children under 3 I could do without having to referee between another 5!!!

Any thoughts are REALLY welcome.

Hi, I got my 2 chics from a school I worked at, I watch them hatch !eggwhite! and have had them 2yrs sadly blanche died :boohoo: this morning but was fine last night, I was wondering if she could have got something from a pigeon that has been hanging around the past few weeks and how will this affect ethal now she is on her own I have already been in touch with the British hen site on rehoming some chics, any input from you would be great pls

Our two girls arrived this morning and we're very excited! :D I feel like a new mum, lots of butterflies in my stomach, and I keep on popping to the bottom of the garden to check on them. My nerves aren't helped by the fact that we found a young fox curled up asleep on the raised bed of wood chipppings this morning! Hubbie has been sent out to 'mark his territory' all over the garden, which will hopefully deter the rascal! Wish us luck everyone! We've had our first egg already, although it was laid in transit which I guess doesn't count...

Hiya

Karen here, just joined today, two weeks ago took delivery of my very funky lime green eglu classic (which thanks to ebay now have some rather fetching flowers all over it in orange, pink, blue and green) with two hens Pansy and Drum (dont ask my daughter named them after some Zingzilla's on CBBs lol) Drum laid her first egg after just 4 days well impressed but two weeks later still waiting on Pansy to pop one out, I never knew having chickens could be such fun we find ourselves in the garden watching them for hours ruining our bark and digging holes but who cares they are having such a lovely time, thank goodness I fenced off the veggies! :o

Hi we're new members n we've had our 4 chicks, Dorothy, Valentina, Wilma n Stella, for 4 months. The cube is great really easy to move each night so the girls have fresh grass every morning n so easy to clean. Only probs we have had so far is with Wilma being broody - any tips other than keep taking the eggs? Never realised they would be so entertaining, letting them run round the garden is great esp the dust baths!! :D

Greetings from Worcestershire.

After much planning, saving, reading and finger crossing, we collected four ex-battery hens on Sunday. I tried to do the first 24 hours by the rule book "keep them quiet and on layers crumb" but they weren't having it. They have slept under the stars (refusing to go into the nest box so far), have eaten lots of grass, played tug of war with worms, eaten slugs that crept in and laid four eggs in two days (one yesterday, three today). They do seem to be enjoying themselves, although they are establishing a pecking order. They have an Eglu with 4m of run to explore and so far, so good, the pecking is minimal.

I have a question, if you don't mind. One of them is completely bald from the neck down. She fills her crop so full, it looks like she has swallowed an egg, let alone got one forming at the other end. She feeds all day, and drinks to match. She's also the one that ate the worm and the slug.

So, can chickens actually overfeed themselves? Do they know when to stop?

Thank you!

Hello Everyone!

I have been loitering :oops: around your forum for a while now and just plucked up the courage to say hello! I have had wonderful 3 ex battery hens GNR for a week now and have gained loads of good advice and tips from the forum.

I am a first time hen keeper but I am very much in love with my girls much to the annoyance of my once pampered pooches Ninja and Samson :shock: I have been looking enviously at everyones (pink eglu) and WIR's - I must work on the OH! Lol

I have nice wooden hen house and run and the OH buil an impressive nest box on the side, pity my girls are not used to using anest box just yet - but shhh dont tell the OH as he would be upset!

It is lovely to meet you all and a big wave to you all from Wales :D