Millie-Annie

WELCOME NEW MEMBERS. INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE

Welcome to the forum all :D

BGB - they will start off on chick crumb, then growers pellets or crumb. You can choose wether to have them on layers pellets or mash ... they will change to either, as long as you slowly make the change over a few days :D

HI Guys I am a newbie on here...

Been keeping poultry for about 8 years now, breeding and showing them.

I live in South Cheshire and have finally relented to getting an eglu go in green - for my son's Polands. Have to say I am secretly extremely excited about its arrival tomorrow - can't wait to get home and put it together - how exciting !

Considering getting a pink original for my daughter (she has silkies) but one step at a time...

Loving browsing on the forum seems a nice friendly site.

Bev

I have one beautiful Black Rock hen called Una. She was one of a trio I bought seven years ago from a breeder near Launceston and they lived on our land on the North Cornwall coast, completely free range, cadging pasty leftovers off visitors walking through on the SW coastal path, and then one night a fox took two of them from the unlocked hen house. My fault, and to compound my guilt my little Patterdale terrier knew what was happening and went berserk, but it was 1.00 am and I rolled over and went back to sleep. Blokes do that. I went out in the morning and my large lawn was covered with feathers swirling about in the Atlantic wind. Una was the sole survivor. I found her trembling under a hebe bush and now she's locked in every night in the bike shed, I feed her grapes, peanuts and wild bird seed but she spends most of the time pecking shoots and digging for insects. She makes nice little burbling noises but I worry about whether she's lonely and whether she would accept another hen as company or attack it, or be attacked. She lays an egg each day, the dogs are a bit scared of her and she keeps trying to come into the house. What should I do? I'm very fond of her.

Hi Everyone

I am not new to chickens, I am a farmers daughter so there have always been chickens and bantams around. Up until now we have had hybrid laying hens that wander around our garden and then back into their shed at night. Also, I had 4 guinea fowls but they liked to fly very high alot and quite often were found on the roof of our steadings!!

Today, however, I have bought 2 Silkie x Welsummers from the Marketplace so I am hoping to pick them up this weekend. I'm v v excited!!! :D:clap:

Hi everyone,

I am a newbie chicken owner who took delivery of three chickens yesterday morning and was thrilled to find a brown egg in the nesting box this morning. The learning is slightly complicated by being in the french speaking end of switzerland, but am getting there with the help of another member who is in France.

Water seems to be a problem in that the superglug has them baffled, so I have lowered it so they can drink out of the top. Have read conflicting advice about water in the coop - do they also need water in the cube or are they alright overnight?

Jo

(cube green)

GNR Gerry

PP Barbara

(white chicken) Margot the Sussex

Hello to you all,

I am very new to chicken keeping, inherited my first two girls from my sister last week. Sadly one died today, as you can imagine it has bee quite traumatic. Not sure what happened she was fine all morning, and I popped out to hang the washing and her breathing was funny, placed her in her house she had a massive fit and died very shortly after, I am not sure if she choked on something and then could not breath. So as Tracey had died, we had to get some new companions for Sandra, we decided to get two more bantams, and so far they are settling in well.

Sandra is a very bossy ginger silkie bantam

Myrtle and Pearl and light sussex bantams, yet to see their personalities, although we do think Pearl is going to be a cheeky chapess!

I look forward to saying hello and to chatting to you all..xxxxx (white chicken)(white chicken)GNR

Well, the Eglu (green clasic (green eglu) ) finally arrived yesterday, along with our new girls. One of them had even laid an egg in the van on the way to us - we're only 5 miles or so from Omlet HQ, but they'd had a trip to St Albans.

We've two Miss Pepperpots - PP Lady GaGa (she has lovely ginger feathers on her breast) and PP Joe, and GNR Henny Penny (original huh :lol: ) the Gingernut Ranger.

They seem to have settled in pretty well - took themselves off to bed last night and seem pretty content. Lady GaGa seems to be top of the pecking order, and is desperate to go exploring! Our dog, Molly, was very excited to see them, and has been haring round the Eglu.

We all trooped out this morning to let them out of the Eglu and we had another egg :D . Unfortunately, it had been laid on the roosting bars and had dropped through and broken :( . The shell of it is very thin and flexible, so hardly a surprise.

Some pictures for you (Lady GagGa had already gone into the Eglu to explore)

Good afternoon,

What a sucessful day! After taking delivery of my eglu classic and 2 chickens at 8.30am, we were rewarded with our first egg by 11.30am. Treacle PP and Toffee GNR have settled in very well and Toffee was so comfortable she popped into the 'pod' and promptly produced her first egg!

My husband, who sees the new girls as my replacement for our two daughters who both married and left home this year, was well impressed and, despite "having nothing to do with this latest project" finds himself talking to them already! Apparently, it is my Sicilian heritage that makes me want to have chickens!

So, let's hear it for the girls! Well done and thank you to Omlet for amazing service and support.

Mafia Princess

:D

Hello everyone,

We took delivery of our Eglu go last week and are now the proud owners of 3 hens. Margo is a pink combed Rhode island red, Matilda is a Sussex and Sylvia is a Welsummer. They are all around 19 weeks old and we are looking forward to our first eggs ! :D Margo is defiantly the boss- where ever she goes they follow. For the first week we kept them in the run as advised and this weekend we let them out in the garden. We ve noticed that since we let them out they are eating less pellets- will this slow down egg laying ? We were worried about our 2 cats Bella & Pepper but we didn't need to be. Bella isn't interested and Pepper loves following them around.

We would love any advice that fellow members can give to us new owners ! :anxious:

Hello I am a new member. I have 3 hens in the caravan type Eglu. Rick, Ray and Rudy (sadly Rusty died within 2 weeks of moving in with us). I also have 2 cats - Kit and Kat - black and white 13 year old male domestic cats. The hens have been with us for nearly 2 months now. I let them out in the garden every evening afterwork and for some hours every day of the week-end. Until last week my cats and hens all rubbed along well together. Rick is a bit of a bad tempered hen but now he has started to chase my cats and peck at their bottoms. They don't need this bother at their time of life. Rick is quick and I seldom get to the cat before she does. The cats are idiots and have a lot of hen free garden but their attidute seems to be that they were there first so keep wandering into hen territory. I don't know what to do. Has anybody been successful in making a cranky hen be friends with 2 cats.

Hi,

My name is Anne and I am a newbie to chicken keeping, but enjoying so far. We have 2 Ginger nut rangers, called Pixie and Dixie.

They settled in really well and started laying after about a week, but then stopped and have not restarted yet! Have spoken to local farmer and he says that lots of chickens have stopped laying at the moment as the weather has confused them, advised us not to give treats and just carry on with their layers pellets.

Hope they will start again soon as may have to resort to buying from the supermarket!

Also the children are on holiday from school so they are not getting much peace and quiet at the moment.

We also have a rabbit called Austin, who was very put out when the ladies arrived, didn't know rabbits could sulk!! And a guinea pig called Flash. They have all now been introduced and seem to accept each other!!

Hope to hear all about everyone elses chickens

Bye for now

x

Welcome to the forum! Lots of good advice on here, and remember there's no such thing as a silly question - it's always worth reading the FAQs to see if anyone else has had the same question, but you will usually get an answer if there's anything you need to find out. Don't forget there's a bunny section as well, so Austin doesn't need to feel too left out!

Hi, just assembled my Cube this past weekend, but am still placing 1/2" hardware cloth around the entire enclosure to keep out raccoons. I have 5 hens total, 2 Golden Comets, 2 Partridge Rocks, and 1 Barred Rock. I am very proud of them, they learned in one day how to drink from the supplied water container and when I went to put them up last night they had all 5 gone into the Cube by themselves, I just had to close the door. They saved me a lot of training I thought I would have to do. I have raised them from a couple of weeks old, so I am anxiously awaiting on their first eggs, should be in a month time. I guess I am being overprotective by adding the hardware cloth, they are in the Cube at night so they are safe and I have a 90lb German Shepherd that shares the backyard with them during the day, there are also coyotes in the area. She has watched them grow from chicks so uses her "guarding" instinct to protect them and her yard.

I rambled enough, it is sure nice to feel like an "official" member now and I can't wait to start eating all those wonderful eggs!

PS. I am accused by my wife of spoiling the chickens, is that possible? :D

Hello another newbie!

Omlet kindly delivered my (purple eglu) and 2 GNR yesterday!

I am new to chicken keeping and I am finding the learning curve great fun! I spent the majority of the day yesterday just watching them and I cannot believe just how funny they are! One of them has an OCD of drinking all the drips of rain water off of the bars of the run and they other always speaks to me when I go up to the eglu :) they even laid their first egg on the way to my house in the carrier - earning their keep already!

I have some questions for the experienced chicken keepers/omleteers if you don't mind;

1) Does anyone else's chooks sleep in the nesting box? Is this just a one night thing or do you think she will keep it up - is it a dominance thing?

2) Today is day 2 in the Eglu run and I was told to keep them in there for 5 days; however one of the chooks is pacing up and down next to the run door - Of course I must keep them in for this period - but will she be ok?!

Thanks for taking time to read/reply...I can't wait to get to know some of you on here and learn more about chicken keeping!

Jadine and.... GNR - unnamed & GNR - unnamed (any suggestions?!)

xxx

Our !gogreen! arrived yesterday!! With GNRGNRPP called Teapot, Teacup, and Teabag!! They brought !eggbrown!!eggspeck! with them in their carrier and laid !eggbrown! this morning, amazing!!

We are new to chicken keeping too!

Looking forward to being able to let them roam around the garden in 5 days time! Hoping they will eat all the slugs that are eating my vegetables!!

As well as their lovely eggs, I'm quite excited about their poo!! I'm going to use it on my vegetable patches in the hope my veg will be even better next time round!

Our hens are pecking the rain drops off the run bars too, I think its because they are nice and shiny!! But mine seem to peck each others beaks..any ideas why anyone? :?

Bye for now!

:lol:

Hi everyone. Im Les. Im 38 , married with three kids, three dogs, two tropical fish tanks, and now our newest additions are our four hybrid hens. Got the hens a week ago......they are.......1 sussex star, 1bluebell,1speckled and 1 magpie. These are all now 17 weeks old . Have always wanted some hens, but to be honest, do not know a great deal about them,so lots of questions in the future. Have kept aviary birds in the past for many years, inluding different types of quail. Looking forward to getting to know you all !!! :D