Millie-Annie

WELCOME NEW MEMBERS. INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE

Hello bsee4u. Sounds as though you are taking good precautions. Coyotes! :shock:

Hello MissPug. You could always put a football in the nesting box at night. I think others just check the nesting box is clean each morning.

IMO Try to keep them in the run for a few more days.

Hello Reb70 - great hen names!

Hello Les. You'll be giving the rest of us advice on Quail then.

Hope you've all planned bigger runs etc. This has to be the most addictive thing I've ever done. :)

Hi

I'm a vicar in Gloucestershire & since the beginning of June a happy hen owner too...I have 3 girls, Margot (a black star), Barbara (a bluebelle) and Broody Brigid (a speckled star), who were my birthday present to myself after many years of fruitless negotiations with the OH. :D They live in a Go !gored! , with an extra playground surrounding it (only for when we're home - it's definitely not fox proof, and not always hen proof either :lol: ) and are have been laying merrily since their 2nd week here.

My youngest child (of 3) starts uni this autumn, so I reckoned that I had to put the chooks in my nest before it became empty! I'm also mum to Libby, a 2 y.o. golden retriever, & (Thomas) Tallis, a home-bred fluffy cat...both of whom get on fine with the girls. This summer we said a sad goodbye :cry: to Mufti, an elderly Australian terrier (who had diabetes) and Teddy (a 16 yr old ginger cat, who sadly had a brain tumour) - and the house feels quieter than it should, so I suspect I may need some extra chooks soon.

When I'm not fussing over my menagerie or the human flock of my parish, I spend "spare" time reading, listening to music and generally dreaming...

I'm an expert at putting off til tomorrow and spend much too long online...Suspect that signing up here may lead to an increase in symptoms! On which note...I'm supposed to be working right now...so I'll go and see how the girls are getting on. Suspect Broody Brigid may be due a stint in the Naughty Cage :(

Not clever enough to work out how to add the little pictures to my signature - there doesn't seem to be an "options" tab anywhere when I try to "edit signature" - so this is the basic version...!

PP Margot

(Bluebelle) Barbara & Brigid

Hi all, I'm new to omlet. I've tried posting a few times but doesn't seem to be working :( . I'm Donna and although not new 2 chicken keeping I've only just got my ehlu go :D!gogreen! . I had three lovely ex-batts, Sharpey, taylor and gabriella( named after hsm). but we lost 1st after a year and the other 2 soon after. After this very sad loss i decided that although really good cause i can't cope with looseing them so quickly.So vet recomended oprphingtons. (would love to know if anyone eles has these). After big search i've got two 9 wk old girls. and am loving it.One seems to have runny yellowy pooh. Might try worming them???? :think:

Hi, I am Sue, I live in Norfolk and I am a GP Practice Manager.

I have 3 weimaraners that I take to agility training each week which all 4 of of us love, looking to compete later in the year.

I am in the process of clearing an overgrown part of the garden for a WIR and a cube, looking to get some chickens in the spring as not fair to get them before our holiday in November.

Apologises now as I am sure I will drive you all mad asking questions along the way :oops:

Hi all let me introduce myself My name is Pamela, I am new to being owned by a hen. I got 6 ex-bats 4 weeks ago and I am smitten. 5 of my girls are in very good health and 1 is very tatty but loveble and produces come cracking eggs (ho!). I have elderly Basset hound and two old cats. They all get on, the cats can often be seen taking in the sun with the girls. They settled into free ranging within days and within a week were seen dust bathing and catching their own worms. They learnt how to come to a bell being rung (with the aid of a few dried worms). The only problem is that I only have to go towards where the worms are kept and they run to my feet. I have to confess that I stepped on gobby, she now limps when she thinks I am looking at her (just to make me feel bad). I have also got some really nice leather sandles that I have had to stop wearing because the girls think my toes look like worms in them, s"Ooops, word censored!"py made my toe bleed trying to get what she thought was a nice juicy worm! The dog would like to go into the chicken area but she has a habit of rolling in the chicken poo and smells too fragrent to be allowed to sleep on my bed.I have a long suffering partner who can also be seen sitting with the girls in the greenhouse (which has a sofa in it) he says that it not so much a working greenhouse more of a relaxing one. I don't know what he means it has got a tomato plant in it.

Hi everyone

received our chooks today. Nice to have a delivery thats on time for a change!!! We have a ginger ranger, abbey and a miss pepperpot, sally. The kids lov em already, and have spent most of the day outside sat beside the run laughing and giggling at the chooks antics. Complete novice at this so I am really gladd to have this forum to come to if theres any problems. Eggs should arrive in about 2 weeks time. Kids are waiting to see which hen lays first!! Sally is definitely the boss and whilst Abbey is walking up and down the lenght of the run looking for escape routes, Sally is happily sat in the nesting area of the igloo. Our cat isnt too sure what to make of them just yet, shes keeping her distance, but i have no doubt curiosity will get the better of her.

Well heres to the next x amount of years as a hen keeper!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi I am a new member. I have had chickens, Doris and Mabel for approx 2 years and live in West Sussex. So far we have really enjoyed having them. Managed to nurse one back to health about 8 months ago when it was attacked by a dog. Amazing that she actually survived.

Having a problem with lack of egg production at the moment so just posted a problem under chicken health hoping someone with more experience can advise.

Looking forward to learning more from everyone. :D

Hello!

I've just bought a second-hand Eglu from Ebay, after months of disappointment, being sniped at the last minute! :evil: It's a Pink MK2, I believe, and am going to buy 3 chickens from a boy in my class....a couple of Sussex's and a Legbar I think.

The Eglu has the 3m run, and I'll be letting them FR in the afternoons and evenings , when I'm home from school. I've been hankering for chooks for some time now, and am really looking forward to the eggs, the antics and the destruction of my garden....

I'm looking forward to advice, pointers etc....and I've already read the newbie threads and am much comforted by them.

well, not much to add.......will sort my sig out soon....!

Sarah x

Hello

I am a new member. Signed up as I have a question about lice on our chickens. Is there a spary rather than power we can use on them? I have read that tea tree is a good treatment, has any one used it on their birds?

We have mostly brown hybrid chickens with a few aging black rocks and bluebells. They have a huge pen which they share during the day with two ducks, a drake, gander and goose.

Thanks

Well I am not new. In fact I'm a very old member (my how this has grown since then!). The Omlet forum has been gone but not forgotten in our house for a few years. Maybe something to do with a certain 2 year old boy keeping me busy for the last couple of years and indeed the 9 months before that! Anyway, here I am! Still enjoying life with my hens. I will have to learn/remember how to do stuff on here - signature will need updating for sure! And the big news is that I have just placed my order to upgrade my old original Mark I eglu (in rare eggy yellow) to a lovely big yolky orange cube :D Now just have to be patient until delivery day ...

Welcome back Red, good to see you again, can hardly believe your little boy is two, where's the time gone? Great news about the Cube. 8) Make sure you keep in touch now and again.

Welcome aboard new members, from the more experienced 52churchlane, and dappledgrey, to the new to chickens Sari.

Lovely to meet you, hope you all enjoy the forum. :D

Hello, I'm new. 2 weeks ago I adopted 3 ex batts (Ruby, Clara and Nessa) from BHWT which are living an my second hand (pink eglu) bought via eBay. I live in Birmingham with my partner, 2 budgies and 4 retired Greyhounds, our chickens are in our long garden and make a lovely addition to the work we've already done in creating a vegetable garden.

I'm a city girl dreaming of a smallholding in the country!...one day. !egg!

hello.

I am Phil from hilly Burnley, by the end of the year I hope to habve an eglu and some lovely chickens, I am in the process of getting the garden ready and then need to get an eglu, so any help or advice I can get will be gratefully received.

cheers ears

Hi guys I am a chicken keeping newbie,

We have just been given an Eglu and 2 Gingernut Rangers, we took them in on Sunday.

My wife has named the ladies Miss Marmalade and Miss Clementine (If my daughters had been allowed they would have been called Cinderella and Gabriella!!! :lol: the same as the goldfish) So far we have had 5 lovely eggs.

This website appears to be one of the best I have found for good info on keeping chooks and was super fast when I ordered a couple of spares for the run.

I am sure I will be posting questions for all you experts fairly soon when I am in need of some help :wink:

Cheers

(green eglu)

2x GNR

Hi,

I'm Adam, husband and father to two boys and now 3 chickens.

We got our three ladies a little while back, Henny, Penny and Gwenny and so far all is good.

They're pretty 'old' ladies being over 2yrs old but they're still enormous fun and we get 3 eggs a day, 10:30 -11:00am like clockwork.

We live in an urban area but are lucky to have a long back garden, with the chickens situated down the back and our ladies are really quiet so the neighbours seem fine with it.

As our fences aren't terribly high and there are dogs next door we don't let them out in the garden often but I'm in the process of constructing a bigger enclosure for them out of two greenhouses stuck together, with half the windows and half the roof removed and substituted for galvanised chicken wire and boards (for privacy). Cluckingham palace is pretty palacious with enough sheltered space to keep them safe and warm at night and panels that can be added or removed during winter as heat cold demands (at least that is the plan).

I'm new to chicken keeping but so far we're all enjoying it and i'm sure i'll be on here lots asking for help and advice.

Adam

Hello, I'm Lorax and I joined this forum two and a half years ago, had my chickens on order, was just about to order my Eglu when I discovered I was pg with baby no.2 and got really bad all-day sickness and the thought of chickens was more than I could handle. So I took a holiday from chickens for a while.

Now that my youngest is 18 months old I'm finally back on track. Ordered my Cube (purple) (cube purple) and waiting for it to arrive. When it does I'll be going to buy some chickens with my hubby and girls and no doubt the questions will really start then.

We live in Suffolk and we have no other animals so far although daughter no.1 would like to change that!

I really want to keep bees, but am waiting to go on a course to learn more about them and make sure we're right for them and they for us. My grandfather was a bee-keeper so that might explain why I've always been fascinated by them!

What else can I tell you? I bake A LOT.