aqualiv

Their water

My chicken's water seems to need filling up a few times a day! I have a standard water container that can be found in most shops that sell chicken supplies. It gets filled with grass and mud easily or seems to get knocked over. I'm now worried that we won't even be able to leave them for the day. We don't have an eglu.

Any ideas?

Olivia

Is it one that you can hang from the roof of the run (bear in mind it will be heavy when it's full!) or could you stand it on something, say a couple of bricks, so it doesn't get knocked over or get mud kicked in?

I wouldn't worry too much about the odd bit of mud, if you're filling it up clean every day then a bit of wood chip etc won't hurt (and my hens seem to prefer drinking from scummy old puddles when they're let out! :roll: ).

I don't know how many hens you have, but if they are emptying the entire drinker during the day then you either need a bigger one, or you need two.

I started off with a small drinker for my hens which never seemed to keep water in it. I found out after watching it for a bit that it was because I hadn't put it on a completely flat surface so the bit where the water came out was never covered in water - and so the water just poured out of it. :doh::oops:

Needless to say I then went and bought a grub and glug and fixed them to my run with the use of an airer. :D

I hang (with chains and hooks) two good-sized drinkers and two feeders from a tree conveniently postioned in the garden...although in the Summer I will leave out a couple of washing up bowls filled with water...mine loved the one we had when we just had a Glug :whistle: Now that we have 10 girls I am concerned about them always having access to fresh water. Gertrude in particular likes to jump up onto the side of the bird bath :doh: which I fill with fresh water every day too...fortunately no wild birds venture into the free-ranging area...they wouldn't dare I guess :whistle: When the drinkers and feeders were on the ground they clogged up completely very quickly with wood chips...a real concern during the Summer months :wall:

I have a great big terracotta plant pot - it is low and wide - probably about 6-8" deep, but about 2foot across - it was sitting around in the garden (after the chickens dug up all the plants in it last year :evil: )

Anyway - I put it in their run with them a couple of weeks ago, and filled it with water (takes ages - even with the hose!), and they seem to love it. They can either drink from it just standing next to it, or they can hop on the side, and drink from above. Because it's such a large body of water (compared to most drinkers) it is very good at staying clean.

Not sure how big your run is... but might be worth thinking about.

Good idea with that Ikea pole thingy... I might try that for the ducks, as they don't have an Eglu, but I would like to use an Eglu feeder with them.