craftyhunnypie

What have you all been making?

My ED made this from internet instructions, it's mouth moves and it is amazing, she used an old furry sleeveless hoody aged 8-9 that has been in the dressing up case for years. All of her yr 13 went in on their last day today dressed as zoo animals, most were wearing onesies and even the head mistress turned up dressed as a penguin, she really didn't strike me as the type. :shock:

Yes that is her in the kitchen last night, it scared the hell out of one of the cats, the other one had seen it before as a work in progress and had got over her fear.

She made a papier mache base and then used a glue gun to stick on the fur, making sure that the nap of it ran the opposite way on the muzzle. the nose was modelled with Fimo around a pebble, which I had the worrying resposibility of baking for her whilst she was at school on Wednesday, but it worked very well. She wanted to find some teeth for it but couldn't at short notice, but it would have been a bit too scarey with them. Apparently everyone thought it was creepy, with it's black eyes which were made from the gauze that is used to cover speakers, so that she could see through them, but they were black.

DSCF0284-1.jpg

DSCF0285.jpg

I adapted a jacket for travelling on low fare airlines :lol: You know the bit when you get to the place where they weight and check the size of your bags and I always find my bag is too fat with books, water bottle etc. So I used an old shirt of YS's and made multiple pockets on the inside. When not in use the flaps can be fixed in place with poppers :D Now all I need is someone to take me on holiday :roll:

Lovely cushion Stehaggan! I have loads of that fabric, but in paler colours. Got it from a shop in Glasgow, unfortunately, they deliver....... :whistle::whistle:

Been busy doing bits and bobs, and need to crack on with a baby quilt before the due date!

DSCF0284-1.jpg

DSCF0285.jpg

I adapted a jacket for travelling on low fare airlines :lol: You know the bit when you get to the place where they weight and check the size of your bags and I always find my bag is too fat with books, water bottle etc. So I used an old shirt of YS's and made multiple pockets on the inside. When not in use the flaps can be fixed in place with poppers :D Now all I need is someone to take me on holiday :roll:

...........and make way for the fat lady coming through customs bending forward in a strange way :lol: genius you should market them :D

I have a gilet that i used when i was travelling 30 years ago; it's thinnish cotton canvas and has loads of pockets; great for passports, money and other 'sensitive' stuff. Looks a bit like a fisherman's gilet.

The idea came from seeing OH and his friend using a similar sounding gilet to the one you describe when travelling. He got me to alter one of the pockets to take his iPad :shock: The amount of stuff he can pack in is amazing.

Plum-even with the jacket filled there are a lot of folks larger than me travelling :wink::lol:

It's a great idea. Can see the officers in security getting backache lifting the jackets onto the scanners :lol:

Has anyone made photo quilts. I've been following a video and learning to interpret photos into quilts.

I'm doing one of my son with his cat on his shoulders. Can't wait to see his reaction, he looks like he's growing a beard, and is going down with something :roll: Hope it improves when I lay it on the backing and start quilting and embellishing it. Pleased with the cat though even though it has no eyes :lol:

Are you using photo transfer or making up the picture with appliqué based on the photograph? It will be a wonderfully personal quilt. I do have a few quilts under my belt, and a few UFOs . I'd love to see your finished quilt. As for the coming down with something and the cats eyes, it's amazing what a bit of embelishment can do. Sounds like a lot of fun.

I used a photograph and simplified the image with paintshop pro by increasing contrast and posterising it. Then flipped the image, outlined different areas and traced onto fusible web.

This technique was from some online videos by Rob Apell. He teaches at 100 mph but is charming 8)

Yes I'm hoping embellishing will help and I'm not showing Duncan it yet after OH's disparaging comments :lol: I don't mind showing you though, you know I'm learning, I'll load it up.

Have you had a go at a portrait? :D

That's fabulous!

I haven't tried a portrait, only building up simple designs with raw edge appliqué and a form of needle turn appliqué, using freezer paper. I was intrigued by an article on making pet portraits using the method you describe and now, having seen your work, I think I might give it a go. Just need to finish a quilt for my great niece ( that makes me feel old! :lol: ) first.