I've already got a Classic Eglu but so disappointed with the run that we've decided to get a Cube and also have a WIR made. Looking at the Avaries4u site I've seen some really nice runs and am now thinking that getting one with an opening hatch for the egg port and the trays at the back looks ideal.

So thought I had it all sorted but then a few things came to mind that I can't seem to find answers to :?

First one is if the Cube is inside a WIR can you clean it out properly as obviously you can't take the top off the Cube without taking it out of the WIR.

Can you actually put the Cube together inside a WIR or do you put the WIR up around the Cube once it's assembled :?

Also how do you open the door for the hens to get in and out as the lever for the door seems to be on the other side of the egg hatch? Does that mean you have to go inside the WIR everytime you want to let them in or out :?:

Now I know a simple solution would be to have the Cube outside of the WIR and that has crossed my mind, but I've read so many posts on here about the Cubes having leaks and problems with gaps that shouldn't be there that I think I'd feel easier knowing the Cube was safely under cover.

Aah I can help with this one!

Our WIR was built for the Eglu and then we got the cube...

if the Cube is inside a WIR can you clean it out properly as obviously you can't take the top off the Cube without taking it out of the WIR.

Umm haven't got to that yet!!! But could make a hatch for the roof to slide out of?

Can you actually put the Cube together inside a WIR...?

Yes, easily - it goes in in bits and you assemble it inside (our wir is 3.4m x 2.1m x 1.8m high).

Also how do you open the door for the hens to get in and out as the lever for the door seems to be on the other side of the egg hatch? Does that mean you have to go inside the WIR everytime you want to let them in or out :?:

I just leave the door open! But in the coldest depths of winter, yes I'll close it and yes I'll be going in the WIR to open it (unless I can site the cube to the edge of the run and make a door/hatch... :?

Now I know a simple solution would be to have the Cube outside of the WIR and that has crossed my mind, but I've read so many posts on here about the Cubes having leaks and problems with gaps that shouldn't be there that I think I'd feel easier knowing the Cube was safely under cover.

Agree completely, I also like the idea that, when it's windy and chucking it down with rain, I'll be under cover when I empty the poo trays and won't have dirty Aubiose blowing around in my face :vom:

I have a cube inside a WIR, and started off with an eglu classic. The eglu is ideal for into's, so you can divide your WIR in half with the eglu onside. Then you could always sell it, they seem to hold their price, so you shouldnt lose too much if you decide to upgrade to a cube. :D I leave my door open so dont go in and close it.

...e Classic Eglu... really isn't big enough so don't want to make another expensive mistake :shock:

I had 6 in the Eglu last month! My two Eglus were stacked - good job I always check on them before bed as there were 6 girls in the top and the tiny one in the bottom all on her own :shock::shock:

Wait until winter when they all snuggle up, you'll look at them and think you can get a couple more in :lol:! It **IS** big enough for four so your ex-bats will be fine but, in the summer, any more and I think they'd be hot. So if you're getting any more then yes... cube is the way to go!

I was torn between in and out and settled for out to give more room inside.

But if you position it inside in one corner you can have a hatch to the door opener. Then on the side touching the back a couple of lift up and down flaps to access the roof back and poo trays and to the left of it a door so you can reach in from behind and access the egg port, it could be a small door or your main entrance.

I drew so many plans and combinations before deciding what to do :D

It's so hard knowing what to do so that you end up with the run you really want.

We have had a quote from Avaries4u and have sent a deposit, but already changed our minds a few times regarding the size :?

Was going to have a 9ft by 18ft, then thought it would come too far into the garden. So we went for a 6ft by 21ft. Then thought as our garden can take a longer run we might as well go for 6ft by 24ft.

I am still a bit concerned about being able to clean the Cube out if it's in the run. Does anyone else have their Cube inside the run and manage to clean it properly inside there? As we are having the roof on the run we will be limited to the height of that which is 6ft at the front end where the Cube will be.

Hadn't even thought about shelves and other things I have read on here today, they do seem a good idea. Might need one of those things to hang the Glug and Grub onto too. So many things to think about.

Had a lot of rain in the last day and even with the plastic corrugated stuff on the Eglu run the rain has got in a bit at the sides. My OH tried to explain to me how the taller the run the more the rain will get in, so now I worry about 6ft not being wide enough and that the whole run will end up wet :o

Also not sure if it's okay to just go for one main door. Keep wondering what if we had more hens that were in the Eglu, then we would have to put something in the WIR to keep the 2 sides separate, so a door at each end might be better maybe :?:

I think these people will be getting fed up of us changing our minds all the time :?

I can sympathise :lol: . I used to lie in bed at night imagining my WIR and all the scenarios of chickens/people coming and going :oops::lol: .

I must say I'm delighted with my end product - all the doors are in the right place and the whole thing works brilliantly 8) . Unfortunately, as each garden is different, what works for one won't for another :? .

You need to consider the rain.

I've partly covered one side with pvc sheets and a piece I can take on and off. Over the cube OH has made a porch thing that is removable and I have clear tarpaulin in sections to hook on and off other sides and doors depending on weather and wind direction. So far after really dry spell working well :D

Just need to maintain ventilation for chook health and to prevent condensation from the roof. :D

Mercedes55, we are in the same boat! We are both waiting for our WIR's (my OH is kindly building me one), and we are both getting a cube. Great thing is, you have asked most of my questions for me :D But this forum is great, because with everyone telling what they have done, we can take out the best bits and make our WIR's fantastic. I have a vision putting my cube on the outside, but getting OH to build an overhang from the run's roof so that the cube will be in the dry - like a little porch! (I haven't told him that bit yet :wink: )

Well we keep on changing our minds and now we are going for a 7ft by 24ft WIR. We've had to cut down a couple of trees on the side to give us the extra width, but they weren't trees that were doing too well, so I'm sure it will be okay. We are still having the Cube inside but going to have a stable door behind it so that we can take the trays out and also take the back off. However I guess I will have to go in to open the Cube up as the handle for that is on the side and I doubt I could reach that without going inside :shock:

My OH has put down some oak sleepers for the run to sit on and I want to slab the inside, but he wants to just slab around the edges :?

We are just slabbing the outside, with the run sitting on the edge so it is not on bare ground. The slabs with an extra mesh skirt should do the trick. The chickens like being able to scratch in the bare ground - also lots of natural dust baths around. You can always top it up with something else if you want to. I've had my smaller run on bare ground, and the poop dries out so quickly, a quick rake and you're done, so don't see it as a bad thing! When hubby cuts the grass, he sets it on a nice fine cut, and the chickens get a load full in the run - they love it!

I'd forgotten about the mesh skirt, so many things to remember when you order a run :shock:

We are going to put at least one row of slabs on the outside of the run and another row on the inside but I might try and persuade OH to put some more inside just to give me a flat area to walk through as I know how deep they make their dustbaths :lol:

I like the idea of an outside porch over the Cube but it would mean we'd have to have a smaller run as we only have about 4ft of space behind the run area, so if the Cube where placed there it would push the whole thing forward a few feet and we want to have as long a run as we can.

I have a bale of Aubiose and was thinking about getting some more of that to put on the floor of the run, but will need to wait and see how much water gets in as I know you aren't supposed to get that stuff wet. Right now we are using woodchips and they are fine, but it's hard to see the poo when it's on that as it tends to blend in :?

Hi

We hope to have a WIR too and have begun the process of getting a quotation from Lewis at aviaries4u. It is looking good so far but we are in a definite quandry about whether to put the WIR on the ground or whether to put it on a concrete or slab base. We've never kept chickens before and so really don't know what to do! :?

It seems to me that the mud floor seems more natural but would be more difficult to keep clean while the slab/concrete floor would need a lot of wood bark or whatever to make it nice for the chickens. I know there has been lots of discussion on this before ... we just don't know what to do! Can anyone help?

Hazel

Well, I'm a fan of bare soil. Easy to maintain, and the chickens love it. However, I think it works best if your run has a roof, otherwise it could be a bit muddy. A good dig over two or three times a year with a dose of DE and jobs done. I find that the poop dries quickly and a quick rake once a week sorts it out, and you don't have a lot to compost or get rid off. I am sure a run being slabbed has it advantages, but I think it could be costly having to cover it with material. My sister-in-law has had a soil-based WIR for 7 years now, and she has had no problems with smells etc.

A thing of preference I think...