thelurch

Layers pellets or mash - that is the question!

I started my 5 off on layers pellets only which they ate fine, but then as we started to develop the pecking issues I decided to try them on a little mash and they seem to wolf it down.

Now this might be because it takes them longer to eat the same amount or could it be that this is most likely what they were fed on at the breeder?

I'm quite happy to give them just mash as at the moment one feeder is full of mash and the other pellets and the pellets don't seem to go down now.

I have been crushing and making the 20kg bag of pellets into mash as I need it as I don't want to waste the bag but it takes ages each time.

I'd there any difference between the two apart from one is pressed into pellets?

There is really no difference in the food content. However, if your chickens are in a run for most of the time, it takes longer to fill up on mash, so gives them something to do. On the other hand, if they freerange, then pellets are what most people feed. Personally, I find pellets much easier and they don't blow about the way that mash does.

Crumbs? I've not heard of them. Are they suitable for non ex-batts? If so - where can I get some?!

I'd like to try mash, to slow their eating down and hopefully reduce pecking - but it sounds like quite a time-consuming faff to prepare it all for them.

Mash is just the same stuff as pellets but in a powder form, you just give it to them like that, you don't make mash ( I always thought it was something you had to mix up like mash potato ! )

It just keeps them busier than eating pellets

Mine get both. Pellets in the grub and some meal in coop cups to keep them occupied. I'm just using it up really, I can buy small bags. The woof the meal (suppose it's same as mash) but also get through the pellets. I will stick to pellets long term to prevent mess. :D

I also feed ex bats crumb. I have do ex bats but decided not to switch them to pellets for exactly the same reason as other people have said - the crumb keeps them busier for longer.

Lottie, my chicken of fate, is not an ex bat but seems to be doing okay on the ex bats crumbs!

That said, I went to have a look at the Fancy Feeds stand at Burghley Horse Trials last weekend. The lady there showed me a sample of the pellets, they look smaller than normal pellets. I have sent off for a free sample to see what they are like and if the girls like it because it is about £3 per sack cheaper than the ex bats crumbs..... decisions, decisions.....

Crumbs? I've not heard of them. Are they suitable for non ex-batts? If so - where can I get some?!

I'd like to try mash, to slow their eating down and hopefully reduce pecking - but it sounds like quite a time-consuming faff to prepare it all for them.

Yes you can feed the ex batts crumbs to non ex batts too. It's a bit like the texture of a crumble mixture you get from rubbing butter into flour when you make an apple crumble. The mash is more of a powder and they do tend to chuck it all over the place. I started mine off on the mash when I first got them as that was what they had been used to but gosh did they get it all over the place :shock:

I'm not entirely convinced it is just pellets ground down. I can believe one can make mash that way, but my mash, which is same brand as my pellets were, does not look like pellets ground down. Sure it has some powder, but it has bits in it too.

Youre right its not the same stuff

Mash has different composition and nutritional stats to pellets

oh wow, please sign me up as a thickie now!!! I always thought that if you bought mash you had to mix it with water to create a mush.... I never realised that you just fed it dry from the pack!!! durrr :wall:

I've always fed pellets for ease; but sometimes especially when its cold or I want to get some extras into them, I mix it into a mash with warm water - that's why I thought is was called mash :oops:

covered in embarassment now... :roll:

oh wow, please sign me up as a thickie now!!! I always thought that if you bought mash you had to mix it with water to create a mush.... I never realised that you just fed it dry from the pack!!! durrr :wall:

I've always fed pellets for ease; but sometimes especially when its cold or I want to get some extras into them, I mix it into a mash with warm water - that's why I thought is was called mash :oops:

covered in embarassment now... :roll:

Don't be embarrassed.....I thought this too, I thought it was optional, ie could feed warm and wet on cold days! :oops: