Cinnamon

Delia's classic Christmas cake

I baked mine last Saturday and it was the first Christmas cake I had baked since I was at school, so a really long time ago :lol:

I did buy the bag of ingredients all ready to use from Waitrose, but I do agree that to buy them all separately wouldn't cost as much as it says on the pack. However I can't be bothered with having so many left over bits and pieces.

I did use baking parchment that I've had for years that I bought from Lakeland, but I forgot to put the double layer of it on top of the cake. I very gently opened the oven when I realised, which was about an hour after it went into the oven. I was expecting the cake to be a disaster but so far have been very pleasantly surprised with how wonderful it looks. I have fed it once with some brandy, not sure whether to feed it any more.

I am cheating with the marzipan and icing and have bought the ready rolled stuff :roll:

I also bought the Heston Blumenthal Christmas pudding and I'm glad I got it when I did as I hear they are sold out now :shock:

There were lots in mine in Abingdon- looked as though they couldn't sell them all as they were in piles on the checkout. No Heston Xmas Puds though

Tricia

Have you seen what the Heston Xmas Puds are going for on eBay :shock:

I was looking yesterday and one person wanted £250 on a BIN. I was then following another one that went for £95! I can't believe anyone would pay that for a pudding :?

Can I ask you all when you intend putting the marzipan and icing on your cakes? I have just put a 2nd lot of brandy on my cake and I think that it's now till it's time to put the marzipan and icing on, but I have no idea when to do that or how to leave between the two :roll:

You could feed it with cherry brandy, but remember that it is quite sweet and strongly flavoured so only do it if you want your cake to taste like cherry brandy. I used a mix of brandy and cherry brandy in Nigella's very boosy Christmas cake a coupe of years back, it was very nice but did taste strongly of cherries.

Mine still has an hour to go and it's smelling cooked (I don't think burnt but scared to look :? ).

How long did you cook yours for if you have a fan oven? I've got it at 130 and set it for 4 hrs.

Mine was cooked in exactly 4hrs and I even opened the oven door after 1hr as I had forgotten to put the paper on top of the cake. I also use an oven thermometer as I find most oven temperatures are not accurate. I have a fan oven but I didn't turn the fan part on because my sister always tells me it's best not to with cakes, not sure why :o