Cinnamon

Delia's classic Christmas cake

I just got back from John Lewis, didn't even give it a thought to look there for a big container as I was frantically trying to find some firework type cake candles as it's my son's Birthday tomorrow and I thought it would be nice to put a candle with some wow factor on it instead of the usual paltry ones the shops sells.

For now my Christmas cake is having to sit under a tea towel in the spare bedroom as I just don't have anything big enough to put it in :?

I put marzipan on mine on Sunday. I levelled the top first as I always do so that we can have a pre-Christmas nibble. This year my cake seems dry, I am a bit worried that it has only dried out in the middle rather than cooking properly. It doesn't taste quite right either. I was really upset and nearly threw it away. OH stopped me told me it was because I had a cold and it tasted fine to him so did the children. I am still not happy but time will tell :?

I put the marzipan on my cake today. Once again was quite a learning curve as I haven't worked with marzipan for years. I cheated and bought the stuff that is already made and rolled out. Still took me ages getting the folds out on the edges though. Now it's on the cake board of course it doesn't fit in the cake tin, so I've looked at the Delia website and she advises putting a clean tea towel over the cake and leaving it like that. I'm not sure how long to leave it for and when to ice it :?

Normally just a day or two - enough for the Marzipan to dry out, so as not to "stain" the white icing you put on top (assuming you are using white icing!!). You don't really want it in a cake tim at this point, as it won't dry out properly. The cake will be fine, as it is covered in the marzipan, so it won't dry or anything.

One tip to make the icing stick to the marzipan is neat vodka... Brush it on the marzipan as you apply the icing, the icing will stick, but it leaves no taste and dries out completely, unlike jam. Not great if you going for an alcohol free cake, but otherwise it is fine!

125 TO 130c

I have not cooked a cake in it before as it cooks everything so fast. Give me an old fashioned oven anytime. :x

What temperature did you use?

What has upset me the most is that I used the beautifull eggs that my girls gave me, what a waste. I am going to write to Waitrose as I am so angry. :twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted:

There is a recipe on here in the all things nice for mrs clucks mothers fruit cake and I always add treacle and nuts and cherries and its foolproof = I use a fan oven and turn it down about 10 degrees and keep an eye on it and turn it down further if needed - its a lovely cake - I use port in it for the liquid too - nice boozy cake

Thanks you for all your nice comments. Lesley thanks for the tip about the polisher - never heard of them so will have to look out for them

Here’s my second cake - I'm not very imaginative - I did try to do some icicles in the spare icing but they didn't come out very well :( so had to resort to the cutters I had.

CakeNo2.jpg

What you can do is..glaze the base of your cake ( most flat) & lay on the rolled out marzipan. Cut round then flip over. Then roll out a marzipan strip cut perfect to a long rectangle & gently wrap round your glazed cake side. :roll: You then use your finger to smoth the joins & seams. Such a faff, hence the reason I bought ready rolled marzipan & flopped it over hoping for the best. Ha ha. You don't see the marzipan anyway.

Emma.x