Cinnamon

Delia's classic Christmas cake

Wow, that looks gorgeous 8):D .

About to ice my cake (with ready rolled icing :wink: ).

Doh :wall: . Just taken the packet out - it's ready TO roll :roll: . Wish me luck :anxious: .

Actually I think the ready TO roll is easier to use. This ready rolled stuff has a tendency to come off the roll with lines on it from the way it's been rolled up for some reason. I found it far easier to roll out the left overs for the stars than to use the stuff already rolled :?

Mercedes55 that looks lovely - do like the silver flowers :clap:

ANH - pictures - come on you know the rules :wink:

Yes, I used ready to roll - but then covered it cling film and then rolled it again to try and get rid of the creases - perhaps next year I'll have found a polisher

I used the removeable bottom from the cake tin as the template

Got a Tunis cake in the oven at the moment

That is so typical that you get everything ready only to find out you are short of one ingredient. Trouble is with all this snow it's not easy to get out to pick up anything that has been forgotten :?

I found putting the silver balls onto the cake so fiddly and although I followed Delia's method of using a mixture of water and icing sugar to glue them on it kind of turned it into a bit of a mess. I think next time I will get some food colouring and make up some shapes to decorate the cake instead as they hide a multitude of sins if the icing underneath isn't smooth :wink:

I guess the next thing is to taste the cake and post pictures of how it looks when it's had a slice cut out of it. I am just hoping mine actually is okay inside :lol:

Mines done. Have taken pic too. But off out on a knitting club Xmas do ( with a magician) in a bit. So you will have to wait til later.

I had ready rolled icing - which cracked when I unrolled it. Grrr. So screwed it up in a ball & re rolled it. Used my polisher, but had very limited resources. Made snowballs & snowman & some shrink plastic people. Used some organza ribbon too.

Put the cake in my cake keeper, put the dome on top & realised oops it's a bit too tall for the lid. So what happened?........The flippin' snowman's head fell off! Arrrgggh. Hubby laughed his socks off. Good job photo was taken before!

Emma.x

:oops: I am sure some of you have seen my burnt offering on here and I know I am the only omleteer who has burnt Delias cake but I wrote to Waitrose and told them what happened. Wairose more or less told me that the recipe was fall proof however I found a forum telling the problems people have had leaving the cake in the oven for four hours and that the cake was over cooked and in some cases burnt as was mine. :oops: I sent then another polite email telling them this and they have decided to send me a goodwill voucher. :dance: Good old Waitrose. :clap: I have not given up on making a cake in the future but I will be more diligent turn the oven even lower and check after 3 hour. Perhaps Waitrose will advise this in the future . Here is to next years Christmas cake, lets hope mine turns out as good as every one elses next year and I can post a success image. :lol: