chickyhazel

Curing a cough?

Our oldest chicken has had a cough since the end of summer, which has been gradually getting worse. She now sometimes breaths with an odd rattling sound. It does not seem to be affecting her that much - she still runs around, pecks the others a little and demands her share of food, but we would like to know how we can treat it. We give all our chickens poultry spice and various other supplements regualrly. I don't want to take her to the vet.

Hmmm, mine we're coughing before.

I tried quite a few things so it's hard to say what actually worked but among the list were:

Garlic clove in their water put in the night before - which they seem to really like so i've continued

that and will do so over winter.

Herban in the water too which is an oragano based tonic for those sort of conditions.

Citricidal - grapefruit seed extract.

And also colloidial silver.

I didn't use them all everyday, don't know if it's great to overload them with meds

but It must have worked as they are better now. I did go to the vets

as it turned out to be myco but the anti biotics didn't do anything anyway so I had to take matters into my

own hands.

Also I've tried extra hard to keep them warm and cosy in this weather which I think is really

important. Personally if I don't keep warm i end up with a blocked nose and coughs quite quickly

so i think it's just the same for them!

Good luck!

I've used Citricidal with great success on chooks with snotty noses.A few drops in their glug daily has cured my crew of colds. :D

You may just have to accept that she will always cough if there are no other symptoms. I have had Sporty Spice backwards and forwards to the vets due to her cough. She shows no other symptoms, eats well and is in every other way healthy. She has been on a wide variety of medicines but nothing has worked. She sounds like she is shouting 'Peanuts' down the garden. It comes and goes but nothing has worked. I make sure that she has garlic and citricidal.

If she has been coughing since the end of the summer, I would get her checked at the vets.

Try changing the bedding in case that is causing the cough?

I have one with Asthma, she is on steroids, wheezes like a 60 a dayer...

No changes in air, Like warm to cold, or damp... no dust, pin head oats are a definate no no and she just loved them to bits. they make her sneeze then have a really horrid horrid attack.

but it could be something easily treatable, and a trip to the vets could make her well .

I had a nasty horrid cough for 3 weeks and felt rotten, wouldn't be happy if I still had it :(

I have one who has coughed since the summer also but she is healthy apart from that, today have another one coughing, she is practically bald, they were all moulting but she seems to be still moulting and I think this has made caused her to get a cough, I have brought her in put her in the porch and giving her mealworm and will put citridal in her water and see if she picks up, she is quite lively and eating but she I am worried that as she has so few feathers she might not cope with this god awful freezing weather