majuka

Opinions on Superlorin

Hi All,

I would be grateful for your input. We took in four more ex battery hens on 5 December. All seemed well enough until the weekend when Cinderella looked quite hunched and miserable and was passing a lot of yolky fluid. We have had a few softies over the last few days, despite them having plenty of grit.

We were quite concerend and saw the emergency vet yesterday who confirmed, as we had thought, peritonitis. We lost one of our first girls to peritonitis (she recovered from the first bout but not the second). The emergency vet gave her an injection of engemycin which she said would need to be repeated in 48 hours.

Well I have been watching poor Cinderella this afternoon and she is just as hunched and miserable. She is drinking but has no interest in food. I have made another appointment for later at the vets, which is with our usual vet who sees more of the chickens in the practice than the emergency vet. I suspect it will be a one way trip for our girl... Obviously she has only just come out so has not had time to build up strength yet. I have seen a few people on her talking about superlorin. Do people recommend it? Does it still work when the hen is very unwell or is it too late by then?

I know that some ex batts pass away quite quickly after coming out. I wouldn't feel half as bad as I do if poor Cinderella had experienced at least one day of sunshine after getting out.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Hi - I don't have personal experience because a calcium supplement (nutribal) cured my hen's problems. However my vet says he has had very good results. When I canvassed opinion about it the only negatives I heard were that the implanted hen was a bit less aggressive around food and went to bed a bit earlier. If my hen has problems again I would not hesitate to have it. I think it costs 50-60 pounds. Presumably it can be easily removed if it causes problems. It lasts around 6 months, I think.

Thank you both for your replies and thank you again Sandy for all of the information.

Little Cinderella has gone now. She was so weak and had deteriorated so rapidly. I did discuss the superlorin with our vet who is happy to consider it as a preventative measure but we both agreed that she was too weak for anything. He had a good feel of her and could identify two separate hard masses in her, poor girl.

Not even a month out, I feel that she has been robbed. Still if this had happened when she was still in her cage then no-one would have noticed or cared. At least she has had some love in her outside life.

Majuka, sorry to hear that your chuck has gone, but i thought i'd post this incase it helps others.

I would recommend the superlorin to anyone. Our Chalkie was very ill and had laid softees for a couple of months.

I tried everything i came across, from food supplements, to water supplements to crushed eggshells - it was all hopeless. Eventually the soft eggs began to get stuck and i went to the vets twice to have stuck soft rotten eggs removed from Chalkie before i found out about the implant (which cost the same price as having a stuck egg removed!).

After the implant chalkie went though a massive moult, and it did change her eating habits, she eats less and is more interested in greens rather than the usual mealworms, seeds etc. Her comb has shrunk to amost nothing but she has grown into a great big stocky bird, looking more healthy than ever.

From the day of the implant there hasn't been any sign of any eggs - stuck or otherwise, so i am very pleased. I am sure she wouldn't be here now without this implant. The vet told us it would only probably last six months, but it has been much longer then that, and i would be happy if she never laid again. If she did, and the same problems arose again, i would take her back for another implant without hesitation. I cannot reccommend this enough. I believe it has saved her life :D

Thank you Alison, that is really helpful. Cinderella was the second girl we have lost to peritonitis and, as I understand it, it is quite common in ex-batts so I'm paranoid about the others.

Our three new girls have their check up with our vet next week so I am going to have a good chat with him then about it. We have had a couple more softies so hope another one won't also become poorly. They are on the ex batts layers pellets with additional grit so I thought their diet was quite good. Chooks can be such a worry when things aren't right with them.

just to say that GRIT is used to grind the food in the gizzard as they have no teeth.

Mixed grit contains Oyster shell (calcium source) which is needed for shell quality.

You might like to try a feeder with crushed oyster shell permanently available.

Unfortunately "good diet" is only part of the story as your girls will have come to you with virtualy Zero if not zewro calcium reserves.

You might also need a good quality calcium supplement wit D£ and phosperous.

I personally cannot recommend The Bird Care Company for both their products and advice. :)