eggalp

do chickens sulk?

hi folks

unfortunately at the start of december i had to bumper -bit two of my hens as they were ripping the feathers out of the others and causing severe bruising/bleeding - it was awful, but believe me, the bumper-bits were the last resort. None of the sprays worked and in fact one of them (johnsons) seemed to make the problem worse. The two i bumpered were ok within about 10 mins of fitting the bumpers and it seemed to solve the problem. Last monday Fizz's bumper bit came off after the 'bit' piece broke in her mouth. I thought i'd give her a go without one and see how she went on, but within four days my others were half bald and covered in blood again. So on sunday i had to bumper Fizz again, but since then she has sat hunched in the same place and is not eating much and has her eyes closed all day. I have looked at the bumper-bit and it seems to be in the correct place and i didn't do anything different to last time, but i am very worried about her - i am not sure if she could just be sulking or maybe she could be in pain?? I have let them out today to free-range as i am off work, but she hasn't even come out of the run, and she is not even interested in her fave mealworms.

I thought about taking the bumper bit off but this isn't fair to the others, and i am not sure what else i could do with her, except perhaps make her her own house and run for her to live in seperately without a bumper bit on.

Does anyone know if she could just be sulking? or could she be in pain? Its awful to see her looking so miserable :(

alison

You have probably thought of this already but ... are you sure that there isn't some part of the broken bit left inside her somewhere? Or could its breaking have caused her some injury/bruising that the new bit is putting pressure on and causing her pain?

Sorry if this makes no sense, I have not really encountered bumper bits in the flesh before.

i can't see anything that might be causing any pain - there is no blood or anything obvious. i don't think there can be any part of the old bit stuck anywhere as she was fine for the four days without one - happily bullying my other four! she has had a small amount of pellets porridge this afternoon, and has gone to bed now - fingers crossed for a better day tomorrow :anxious:

Hi Alison

I have no experience of bumper bits so cannot offer any advice. I think that chooks can have their beaks put out of joint from time to time but to me it doesn't sound like she is sulking. The hunched, eyes closed posture would to me suggest that she isn't very well. It could be something coincidental or the new bumper bit or the broken bit of the old one has only just started causing problems. Given that she has not eaten much for two days I would be inclined to take her to the vet for a check up as they can deteriorate so quickly. Fingers crossed for her.x

I'm inclined to agree with Majuka, she sounds unwell, and it may be a good idea to have her checked out by a vet.

Is it easy to take a bumper bit off? If she doesn't perk up when you take it off, then it eliminates the bumper bit as the source of the trouble. It could well be that she has picked up a minor infection in the last couple of days and it is flaring up because of the stress of having the bumper bit on again.

You have my sympathy Alison! In the past, we had to bumper bit Roxy as she was relentless in plucking the other 2 until they were like battery hens (we also tried everything else first, even separating them during the day and only free ranging together didn't change her).

We had exactly the response you describe immediately after fitting the bit ie. just standing there looking miserable and almost doing the 'naughty toddler' stance when they've been told off! She actually stood behind the tree trunk looking round and glaring at us for a few hours.

Assuming she's not actually poorly (and if you're in any doubt I'd definately advise a trip to the vet), she should adjust quite quickly - Roxy was practically back to normal the following day.

Good luck!