welovemarmite

We're all planning walk in runs! PART 3!

Wow - this thread has certainly been a useful (and long) read :P

I have now got loads of ideas for my WIR, so many I can't possibly do it all without creating some kind of mansion and spending next years wages :D

Just a couple of questions - would anyone be willing to give me any idea of the price they paid the oft mentioned Tony and the size run they got for it? I have sent off for a quote but am so impatient to begin . . . :oops:

And I think it was Jonty with the Omlet Village - where did you get that gorgeous sign for your run?

Cheers all

:D We're getting our WIR!! A carpenter friend is going to build it for us. The materials are ordered and arriving tomorrow, we have some quick slabbing to do :anxious: and our friend will start the build on Monday :dance:

The foot fall is basically the same as the existing joined runs but this will be one proper walk in run which means we can clean it and put in mezzanine levels to entertain them :D We are joining the cube via it's run about half way along the run and putting in two doors (one into the free range run).

Will do pictures when we start....very excited :lol:

First sorry about the size, I used medium in photobucket but the image didn't change :oops:

Well first day...the slabs and much of the frame went up

day1wir.jpg

second day the basic frame (minus doors) and painting. In the middle you can see the gap for the cube run to join to and to the right of that, in the corner, will be the main door. On the right side wall will be a door into the outdoor run. We are going to put some roosts across the corners in the WIR and possibly pull up a couple of slabs to plant the Lily the girls are enjoying rummaging in in their temporary run (it needs to be moved anyway)

day2wir-1.jpg

We will be laying slabs where the cube will be too but waiting for them to be delivered.

Just had a call from Chris at Bay. He said my run will either come on Friday or "first thing" Saturday morning. (was supposed to come today :roll: ). I hope it arrives as I need my OH to build it pretty soon before we go on holiday. Please bring it Chris :!::pray::pray::pray:

Do you think I should put it on soil or should I make a slab base and cover it? It will have a kick board to keep woodchips/auboise in. :?:

Ooh exciting :D Mine's on earth with aubiose but I have to add that I've got a roof (the aubiose needs to be kept dry ) and a mesh floor to prevent foxes and rats getting in. Many people on here do slab the base but we did not want a permanent fixture so that's why we did it this way. Hope he turns up with it tomorrow :pray: Enjoy it 8)

Day 3 here and rain stopped play :( No change to the run to show but door making has gone on in the shed so fingers crossed everything will be near finishing tomorrow :pray:

Oh last night I crushed a chicken :anxious: I was leaning over the temporary wire run to stroke her and my ankle gave way, she was pinned under the wire...luckily there was a pit they'd dug earlier ( :roll: ) and apart from a few shakes of her foot she seems unaffected....however a garden cane managed to get me about an inch from my eye...thank heavens I wear glasses! Will be VERY pleased when the work is finished.

Work has still mainly been happening in our shed here as we are about the only place in the UK it's raining :roll: Yesterday the doors were made and painted ready to hang. Half of the run has wire on it and more roof struts have been added. Please cross fingers that it's sunny tomorrow and our mate has time to come and get the run usable...though I think more likely to be Monday finish at the earliest...grrrr rain....though I couldn't do 30c either so thinking of all of you in the heatwave.

Pipistrelle, good luck with that. You must post some pics when it is finished.

My WIR is nearly finished. Just need the mesh for the floor. All the panels were ready made but it has still taken my OH all day to assembe. The chooks better be grateful! :!: I've just ordered a (pink eglu) for more chickens too. :)

The WIR is up and running :dance: It still needs the gutter at back, perches and some bits painted but the girls are now in residence :D

I can't get resize to work, so hoping this clickable thumbnail links you to the photobucket album. (should see 9 photos, fingers crossed)

th_thirdday.jpg

Edited by Guest