welovemarmite

We're all planning walk in runs! PART 3!

It took my OH to about a day to construct the Bay Animal Housing run. It is 12 x 6. He is not a DIY expert and he is meticulous so it might take a shorter amount of time for somebody else. It was worth it though. I have just put a big tarpaulin over the top which is working for now.

It took my OH to about a day to construct the Bay Animal Housing run. It is 12 x 6. He is not a DIY expert and he is meticulous so it might take a shorter amount of time for somebody else. It was worth it though. I have just put a big tarpaulin over the top which is working for now.

Tarpaulins are great for a short term roof but will very quickly collect water so i would not recommend them long term.

I have tried all kinds of ways to avoid paying for the plastic corrugated roofing for our runs but it really is the best thing.

I'm after a bit of advice with my WIR roof?

I have completed my run which is 350cm x 230 cm but I have not put a roof on yet. I was assuming that a plastic roof would be the easiest and the cheapest option but I can't find anything in the least bit cheap at the moment.

can anyone suggest a cheap supplier of something I can use for my roof?

Thanks

I've seen them at B&q too and I will get them at some point in the future. For now I'm making do with a cheap tarpaulin (only cos my house is on the market and the tarp is considered by me to be a temporary measure). :| I want a proper roof though :!:

Any suggestions welcome please!

We're planning to build a permanent run having moved the Cube from grass to patio to unused veg patch (and back again!) over the last year.

We have 3 raised vegetable beds at the far end of the garden, which aren't used as such since we got an allotment. The Cube is currently on bark on the smallest of these. The biggest bed is 11.5ftx9.5ft. We have a large stand of bamboos on 2 sides of this, so as it's quite shaded it's not really suitable for growing much, so we thought it would make a better chicken run.

The beds are surrounded and held in by 6"x2" pressure treated planks. So the beds are approx 5-6" higher than the surrounding ground surface.

We'd like to keep them on the soil, so with with this set up, what would be the best way of ensuring it's fox proof? And with the bed being the size it is, would you put the Cube inside or outside the run?

Deep joy - I've done it - the DH will make a proper WIR for the whole 14' x 9' space we have behind the garage. We have a combo of two separate runs cobbled together (one I can walk in) but he's agreed to use the garage wall and garden fences to make 3 sides of a huge WIR and use the door/sides of the current narrow WIR to make the 4th side. We can use the remainder to make the roof (but we will need to get a few more panels for the roof) and get a decent roof covering on the whole lot. :dance:

The DH has even had an offer of help from a pal who just built his own WIR in a similar location to ours.

Morehens disease here I come. :shh:

We're working with a 'well known supplier' to get a quote for the following walk-in-run.

• 2m wide x 2m high x 5m long run with Cube outside on the long-end (with a hatch to close if the Cube is moved away)
    A stable-door and to open inwards.
    A couple of shelves
    A couple of perches
    Free-ranging Chicken Access Hatch
    Translucent roof.

Will probably add guttering myself once I've worked out how to route the water.

I had a concrete base put in during this thread thread.

Can folks advise anything else I should consider prior to the firm order going in?

Many thanks!!!

Thank you Ain't "Ooops, word censored!"ody Here great idea and I'll add that to the requirements list for the builder!

Is it worth screwing the run to the concrete base? It does get a little windy sometimes ...

Any more suggestions? Looks like it'll cost £800 or so but that includes delivery and assembly!