welovemarmite

We're all planning walk in runs! PART 3!

Doh - you are right Plum! Doesn't need to move far back to open.

Now how do I hang my Grub and Super Glug ... was planning on getting replacement feeders and waterers but new ones have been vetoed by the United Nations :doh:

EDIT: Answer seems to be a 20mm x 4mm x 1200mm strip of aluminium from B&Q!

I am hoping to use a bit of the money left to me after my mum died suddenly to help buy a wir, I am sure she would approve she loved chickens and kept them when I was growing up. I may possibly be moving, so how easy would it be to dismantle a run and move it with me? I am considering a avaries4u wir run. Also I'm not too sure what base to put it on, I'd rather not use concrete, but maybe a slabbed outline for the run to rest on, although I'm happy to hear your views.

Plum, good idea, I have some aluminium now (cost about £8) which suits me as I don't want to re-use the Omlet run as it'd obscure my vision of the chickens.

As for taking it apart, I think I could take it apart in a day ... though not sure how I'd get the roof off as I'm not as acrobatic as Lewis!

Lewis and his Dad were here for 3.5 hours including lugging all the panels round from their van - not a trivial job and I am glad I paid the extra for it to be assembled as I could not have made such a good job of it.

had a metal fabricator round today to measure up for the wir....all galvernised and pressurewasher proof...couple of things...could someone remine me of the correct defra weldmesh size and grade if applicaple....should doors be opening in or out, or doesnt it matter?!!...and one have any good shouts for the heaviest guage correct weldmesh (sorry im weldmesh obsessed!)

thanks all

ive been hunting for 16g weldmesh 1" square....does it exist...ok....door openening inwards.....ive designed it so an the door is split stable style but with the split only 250mm (10") up from the floor...that way i guess i can sweep it out....right out the door...does anyone else have galvernised all metal wir's!?

When I first told hubby I wanted to get chooks he said No Way! So I left it but then was incredibly lucky to get a cube on Freecycle! I brought it home and he wasn't best pleased but I wore him down over a week or so and he agreed to two chooks...we got six!

So. Didn't expect a good response when I suggested a WIR in his beloved garden...but he thought it was a good idea! So I measured and planned and yesterday emailed my plan to Lewis at aviaries4you and am awaiting a quote!

So excited although it won't be until late summer, but still...the ball is rolling - just hope the quote isn't tooooo hefty!