Margalot

Best supplements fors PMS?

Hi,

I need some advice and what better place to come to?

I think I may be suffering from PMS and would like to try to treat it. the week before I start feeling glum, thats the only way I can put it, its as if someone has flicked my happy switch off, apparently I even sound glum over the phone , I feel as if I cant be bothered to do anything, lose my organisational skills, feel fogged up in my head, dont want to speak to people etc. then leading up to my period everything seems bleak, I get irritable with family, and even the things that normally make me happy just dont. i have been toying with the idea that I might be a bit depressed, but honestly I have nothing to make me depressed (I do know you dont have to have something to be depressed about) but the symptoms all seem a bit vague so dont want to trouble the doctor. What supplements can anyone suggest, I have to take 10mg of folic on one day every week to counteract side effects from arthritis medication, so I assume I must be up on B vitamins already.

does anyone have similar symptoms? and can help?

Thank you Michelle (not glum today BTW :dance: )

You could also try Agnus Castus which is supposed to balance your hormones. I take evening primrose oil (I have very hormonal lumpy boobs) and I'm now on Menopace in the run up to the menopause. I feel much better since I started on those about 4 months ago. I think there is also a supplement called Selenium OK which I used to take, it was suggested to me by my reflexologist.

I am going to start on the soya products as well. Hormones are horrible, I used to get really, really grumpy and was miserable with people. I feel fairly even tempered now although I can still cry at the drop of a hat. :roll:

I was recommended B6 by my GP, and it has definitely helped.

I agree, vit B6 definitely the way to go :D my GP said that there is a pool of it that nerves in your brain sit in, but as you approach your period it is used for preparing your body for the cycle so the pools become shallower, and if the nerves don't sit in the pool that's when you become "cranky" :wink:

Not medically explained but certainly worked for me :D

I get very teary, grumpy, snappy and short (sounds like 4 of the 7 Dwarves :lol: ) before I am due on. I have found taking a daily supplement (I take cod liver oil) with added evening primrose oil really does help. I feel so much calmer when I do take (I do forget, but when it gets bad again, back on it I go!) It is a horrible thing, PMS. It creeps up on you and pulls the carpet from under you. But, if when you try any of our suggestions, you don't feel any better, I would go and see your doctor. They are there to help. I remember going to see mine when I realised I had PND and just cried my eyes out in her surgery. She was very sympathetic and proactive, which was what I needed.

I always found that any problems I had were always magnified in the week before, and a friend who is a counsellor suggested that I look at the underlying dissatisfactions in my life and try to remedy as much as I could. This, vitamin B6, and just accepting that it was "that week" helped get me through. Chocolate always helped too. :D