megalin

Cream legbars vs old cotswold legbars

So we're getting ready to get some new girls soon! So excited I can hardly wait to

finish the run extension!

We want to get a blue egg layer but I'm confused about the difference between these 2 breeds.

Some people are saying the cotswold is a pure breed and some say it's a hybrid.....

Is there much difference between the 2?

Megan

Proper Cream Legbars are a pure breed (breeding true) whereas Cotswold Legbars are a hybrid. The problem is that they've become quite mixed up with a lot of crosses being sold as pure Cream Legbars, so it's not easy to know for sure what you've got. This is a proper Cream Legbar and this shows Cotswold Legbars. HTH :)

I have to say I find it all very confusing too. We have a Cream Legbar and someone told me that they are crossed with an Araucana and another breed, which I thought would make them a hybrid :?:

We looked at the Cotswold Legbars and had thought about getting a couple of them next year, but didn't realise they were a hybrid.

This is our Cream Legar Chloe, she does lay very pretty blue eggs, but they are identical to the eggs that our Lavender Araucana lays :lol:

SDC15927.jpg

From various bits of reading, I think that Araucana are in all blue egg laying breeds.

Many breeds (most even?) have crosses of one sort or another at some point in their history but now breed true (like KC recognised dog breeds), but hybrids are like lurchers - crosses that don't breed true.

I'm still confused, but that's nothing new with me :lol:

Here is a pic of the eggs our two are laying and they look so alike I can't tell which girl laid which egg :shock:

2011-02-05110852.jpg

THIS website has lots of handy infomation on proper Cream Legbars. The lady that owns the site and the birds picture won the Cream Legbar classes at both the National and Fed this year so she knows her stuff!!

A true cream legbar should have CREAM in her neck, far too many are too gold.

The hybrid versions that I have seen come in all sorts of colours, some looking quite cream legbar-ish except for the gold and some are all sorts of colour ways.

A true cream legbar should lay green or blue eggs. I believe the hybrids have about 70% chance of a green/blue egg.

We have two Cream Legbars who have just started laying blue eggs !eggblue! at about 30 weeks of age. Heaviest so far weighing 50g Lucy and 37g Lulu. These two were "free to good home" and are the sweetest little hens. They are much quicker in their reactions than our two hybrid white leghorns. They are very friendly and tame, but I don't think they will ever lay supermarket size eggs, as they are such petit darlings. I think also they only lay 160 eggs a year each, if that is a consideration for you. They have to do everything together, when we first had them, if we took one out to check for "fleas" on a Saturday, the other one squarked like crazy! They still go in the nest box to lay together. :lol:

I have to say I find it all very confusing too. We have a Cream Legbar and someone told me that they are crossed with an Araucana and another breed, which I thought would make them a hybrid :?:

We looked at the Cotswold Legbars and had thought about getting a couple of them next year, but didn't realise they were a hybrid.

This is our Cream Legar Chloe, she does lay very pretty blue eggs, but they are identical to the eggs that our Lavender Araucana lays :lol:

SDC15927.jpg

what lovely chucks, your wir is fantastic :D

Thank you :D

The only thing we feel they are missing out on is not being able to dig as the WIR is slabbed and then has Rapport on top of that. As my OH feels sorry for them he has ordered a load of panels to match the WIR and he is going to build another run along the back of the garden that will be connected to the existing WIR and will let the girls access a bit of lawn and all the border at the back where the shrubs are, although not sure how long the shrubs will survive once they get out there. We already let them use that part of the garden but only when we are out with them as it's not fox proof. Panels are coming tomorrow so I will have to put some pics up once he has finished.

Thank you :D

The only thing we feel they are missing out on is not being able to dig as the WIR is slabbed and then has Rapport on top of that. As my OH feels sorry for them he has ordered a load of panels to match the WIR and he is going to build another run along the back of the garden that will be connected to the existing WIR and will let the girls access a bit of lawn and all the border at the back where the shrubs are, although not sure how long the shrubs will survive once they get out there. We already let them use that part of the garden but only when we are out with them as it's not fox proof. Panels are coming tomorrow so I will have to put some pics up once he has finished.

cant wait to see your pics :D it sounds fantasic, ours is on slabs its like a wir but not tall enough for me to walk in.But my oh says when we move this year he will do a wir for me :D we are the same we have to let our chooks out to fr when we are there as we have a local fox who comes past our garden. Talk about locks :lol: i have put that many on the run and the coop so the fox can't get in

I didn't realise they were smaller than other hens, I just assumed they would be the same size as a Cream Legbar :?

I don't know why they stop laying in Winter either, I know hybrids do slow down, we were only getting about 1 egg a day at one point and even had to go to the shops and buy half a dozen eggs we were that low :shock:

Nearly all hens, hybrid or pure breed, will stop laying over winter - depending on when they hatched, their first winter is the exception. It's natural for them to concentrate their efforts on re-growing feather during their moult and re-start laying as soon as they daylight hours suit them. In my experience it also helps them to live longer too. :)

Well I think It's good the don't lay all the time.

It must be exhausting! I think we'll try and find some cream legbars, they are beautiful.

I get the impression they're interesting characters too, although a bit concerned about then being

better flyers than others, what are peoples experiences of this?

I have slow clumsy birds at the moment so I can let them out in the garden a bit without fear of escape!

Got the wood for the new run and going to start tomorrow..... :D

They are definitely good fliers and are better at escaping than houdini! The smallest gap is only there to challenge a cream legbar!!! But they have fantastic charisma, but very nervy. Ours is far from easy to catch and will certainly not be one to let the kids catch and stroke!!!

They are great though, and the eggs are fab. Yesterday is officially the start of spring in our house cos our cream legbar laid the first blue egg of the year.... Definitely spring now!!