Purplemaniacs

** The Omlet WIR thread** Please post about it here.

I think it's great :dance: For someone on their own whose DIY is limited this will be a lifesaver for me as I will probably have to move at the end of the year. Although I will take my WIRs with me it would be impossible to get them taken down and put up on the same day. It will be great not to have to have the girls safety to worry about and I'm sure like all Omlet stuff will be easy to sell again :D

Not that I need one, but didn't think of that! My ones concreted into the ground so wont be able to take it if we move and also won't be able to sell it, omlet things seem to hold their value very well. But theres no roof :( I like the fact you can extend it though :D

I want one. :lol: I wonder if you can fit it to a the cube run, does anyone know :?: I could then attach it to the run to give an extra lengh and sell the two extentions. :dance: How high is it?

https://www.omlet.co.uk/shop/shop.php?cat=Chicken+Keeping&sub=Walk+In+Runs&product_id=9295&product_name=Walk+In+Run+-+2m+x+2m+-+To+Fit+Eglu+Cube+With+Run

Not sure why but the cube version is £15 cheaper than the Go and Classic?! And not sure about the dimensions, doesn't look like they have added a full blue print yet. When someone gets theirs, they need to add piccies 8)

I think it's far too expensive when you think you still need to pay for roofing, guttering , kick boards and tarp as no proper winter cover. I love my go as really good quality but thought that was over priced but the wir is just wire, all be it good quality. Doesn't look very sturdy to me either. :( . I think i'll stick to my wooden quotes.

I am fairly suprised by the price, although the 10% discount certainly helps. I don't see the absence of a solid roof as a problem I would simply use my existing glass tarps over the top like I am now on the cube train. A few gravel borads will do around the edge. I think the fact it won't rot or require complex rebuilding is a huge plus as is the ability to extend it with ease, when you have extra cash. I was considering a wooden wir run which was coming in very expensive. This would be a much more long lasting option. :clap::clap:

Mmmmmmm on reflection £770 is rather a lot of money, my girls have a 6m cube train, but they also have 20m x 30m garden to free range in behind Omlet netting and a couple of garden fences. I guess they wouldn't be to impressed to be confined in a 5m x 2m space without bushes to dustbath under. My head has taken over and I shall maintain the status quo for now.

Sorry to buck the trend... But I don't like it at all :notalk:

No covered roof... Door that doesnt look that secure.... Doesn't look like it would withstand the elements... And for the price of the 2m x 2m run, you could get a very sturdy traditional WIR twice the size with a solid rood, kick boards, proper door etc.

Was worried as I have just paid for an order for a new WIR as couldn't wait for the Omlet offering, and I have to say that I'm glad I made the decision I did.

Sorry Omlet, I am a huge fan of the housing, but the run is not for me.... Just doesn't look safe and secure enough for my liking.

I think its a great idea! :D

Think that for people that are willing to pay that price, its a great product to offer and like the stable doors and hanging hooks.

Quite clever the way they've attached the eglus etc too.

But my 15x6 WIR cost £256 ... an Omlet WIR (similar size, but smaller) would cost £753 :anxious: ...

Granted I had to add the corrugated roof to my WIR but it would still be a lot cheaper, even if I have to replace it in a few years and then again, it will still be cheaper.

Will it be strong enough to add mezzanine levels and perches too? :think:

Look forward to seeing one and giving it a wobble test ;)

We've been waiting for this for ages after all the rumours at the end of last year, having seen it, we think it might be our solution temporarily until we buy a house to put up a permanent run. and do final integration as I didn't want to until we had a bigger run - is 6 months a record for taking it slowly? They all get along fine now by the way...

Just trying to think of ways to make it as personalised as possible.

I think it looks good and will fit the space where we have our 4M train, trying to think about how to "onduline" the top as I hate the double tarp and how the dirt traps and also to weigh it down.

Also thinking we could re-sell once we have a permanent base (much bigger than we have now :D )

It looks to be in keeping with the other Omlet products and I'm sure it could easily be pegged or weighted down if necessary, just like the eglu or cube runs. It won't have much wind resistance as it's all mesh so should be pretty stable - unless you add covers or tarps. :?

It's the price that bothers me - my WIR panels cost £175 for 2m x 3m and my big chicken house (this style but only 2m x 3m) was about the £550 mark - for the house and covered run.

I'm sure it will sell well though - it'll be the latest Omlet Must Have. :)

Well, it's certainly interesting! Price wise is probably more than I'd hoped :( but less than I'd expected :? (when compared with other omlet runs).

I'd really like one to go with a cube, but I can' t quite work out whether I need a Cube run as well to attach to the WIR or whether I could fix a cube straight to the WIR (I don't have a run for my Cube at the moment, so would be looking at another £200 plus on top of the cost of the WIR if that's the case :shock: ).

Bit disappointed it doesn't have a solid roof and as others have said that will be extra expense on top, as well as guttering, kick boards etc etc.

At this price I would definitely want to see one "in the flesh" before making a decision, as a I share others' concerns about how sturdy it will be (although this is not usually a problem with Omlet things).

If anyone buys one, keep us posted!?

You do need a cube run to attach or you could put the cube inside. I agree with both sides but as a temporary WIR that I could then sell on would be ideal :)

Thanks, that's what I feared. That makes it WAY too expensive for me. Hadn't thought of putting the cube inside the WIR, but would think that would take up quite a lot of a 2x2m run? Back to the drawing board, I guess? :?

I've just had a look... here's my tuppeny worth! :D

I DONT like the fact that you have to have a cube run to attach to the WIR, seems clumsy to me and means you still have to stoop to get into that bit. and agree that if you put the cube inside you're not gaining much space.

I DO think it's a good temporary solution - if you know you're going to be moving on for example, and resale value would probably make it useful in that situation.

for the price though, I think it should come with a clear tarp roof and side panel(s), ala tarpaflex but with omlet stylee hooks like on the sunshade etc - easy to move around, roll up/down etc.

If you're not planning to move, I'd go for a 'proper' wooden WIR every time - it has transformed my chicken keeping!

After reading this thread through about people moving house etc it makes me think that Omlet should also think of ing this item to rent for short periods for this very purpose. There seems to be a market for it and would prevent people having to fork out loads for a run that they wont need when their current WIR is re-insalled at the new house.

It really doesn't float my boat at all, I love love love my eglu and cube and wouldn't be without them but this just doesnt scream safe and sturdy to me.

I like it and will seriously consider it when we are looking for a WIR, yes it is expensive :shock: but so are the Eglu and Cube when compared to a traditional wooden coop.

Looking at the pictures I would say it looks quite stable and could quite easily be staked down if there was any concerns about high winds, although as previously posted, being mesh the wind will just blow through it.

As for security it seems of similar construction to the existing Eglu and Cube runs, which are plenty strong enough.

Would be nice if they did do a roof for it (different colours to match the Eglu), maybe at a later date? :pray:

For me it is a question of convenience and ease of maintainence(sp?).

I like it and will seriously consider it when we are looking for a WIR, yes it is expensive :shock: but so are the Eglu and Cube when compared to a traditional wooden coop.

Looking at the pictures I would say it looks quite stable and could quite easily be staked down if there was any concerns about high winds, although as previously posted, being mesh the wind will just blow through it.

As for security it seems of similar construction to the existing Eglu and Cube runs, which are plenty strong enough.

Would be nice if they did do a roof for it (different colours to match the Eglu), maybe at a later date? :pray:

For me it is a question of convenience and ease of maintainence(sp?).

I agree with you chickric I have only had my (cube green) since August and extra run and bought another run when the the price was reduced before Christams but I would really like the Omlet WIR I do have a BIG brithday in two years so perhaps when asked what I woud like I could say Omlet vouchers if they do them. Not wishing my life away but time moves on oh so quickley. :lol: Who will be the first to purchase one :?: Let everyone know.

I wonder if you can just buy the 'connector' which joins the Coop to the WIR.

walk_in_run_-_2m_x_2m_-_to_fit_eglu_classic_9bfee5e4.png

For those of us with traditional WIR's, this would be a neat solution to join our Eglu's to our WIR's without having to fiddle about with the 'gap' :pray:.

Andrew