Purplemaniacs

** The Omlet WIR thread** Please post about it here.

I have a few worries with this WIR and not just the Price !

We all know that a dry run is best, damp in summer increase the risk of odours and in winter can make for miserable looking chickens, if you start to cover this run, it looks to have the potential to blow over or at least move and I agree that it looks unlikely to bear the weight of the kind of snow fall most of us had this past winter.

The attachment for the Go and Classic, to be placed outside the run, appears to be at ground level, I have this arrangement with my WIR but have my classic raised on several layers of paving slabs, mainly to prevent Rats and/or foxes digging underneath. Kickboards are essential, even with several layers on mine the lady's still manage to shift a fair amount of woodchip out of the run, for the price they are asking I think they could have included this in the design :shameonu:

Lastly I justified the cost of buying an Eglu with the fact that it is easy to keep clean, therefore reducing the possibility of pests and disease and have never regretted that decision.

My god this WIR is getting rather a large battering..... I think we are all feeding off each other here, Omlet have

produced a run and i guess they have done it because enough omletters have asked for one, and to make money as well......

It may not be what everyone was expecting and yes its expensive, its should be around the £300 mark. But seriously is it the money? If it came with a roof and with kick boards would it sell better at that price?

Maybe we should watch this space....... There may be a WIR2!

I suppose it's a question of getting your market research right. dont know what market research was actually done, and wouldn't really expect to - but if I had a business, with an active forum like this, I would have asked for a 'wish list' and then assessed it against price, desirability etc and maybe gone for a 'basic' price with add-ons like roof, kickboards etc.

My god this WIR is getting rather a large battering..... I think we are all feeding off each other here, Omlet have produced a run and i guess they have done it because enough omletters have asked for one, and to make money as well......

It may not be what everyone was expecting and yes its expensive, its should be around the £300 mark. But seriously is it the money? If it came with a roof and with kick boards would it sell better at that price?

Maybe we should watch this space....... There may be a WIR2!

Why pay £5k for a car, if I can get the same make and model but with a sun roof and lower mileage for £2k?

My first thought when I saw the email was FANTASTIC, as was my OH's - but then we saw the the price - and unfortunately that was the end of that - and that was before I saw this thread :wink:

I really hope that Omlet come up with another solution - otherwise we will be getting one from another supplier once we move. I love my other Omlet products, and wouldn't swap my eglu for anything else (except maybe a cube!!).

Well, I'm one who has actually ordered one of these so I feel I should try to offer a balancing opinion on this thread :think:.

Yes, it is expensive, but the price is actually pretty consistent with that of the other Omlet runs/run extensions, when you look at it per square metre of mesh.

Cube extension - £90 - about 3sqm. = roughly £30 per sqm

Basic WIR - £490 - about 20 sqm = less than £25 per sqm.

The mesh is wider spaced on half of the WIR, but then there are extra bits like structural parts and the door etc, which I would imagine make up the extra cost.

The way I see it, the Omlet weldmesh is pricey because it's top quality and built to last. It shouldn't deteriorate with any rust/rot over time, so may not need replacing/repairing for a lifetime. That also means it should hold its value pretty well if the time ever comes to sell it. I certainly wouldn't have been able to say the same about the DIY WIR I was previously planning!

Edited by Guest

Well, I'm one who has actually ordered one of these so I feel I should try to offer a balancing opinion on this thread :think:.

Yes, it is expensive, but the price is actually pretty consistent with that of the other Omlet runs/run extensions, when you look at it per square metre of mesh.

Cube extension - £90 - about 3sqm. = roughly £30 per sqm

Basic WIR - £490 - about 20 sqm = less than £25 per sqm.

The mesh is wider spaced on half of the WIR, but then there are extra bits like structural parts and the door etc, which I would imagine make up the extra cost.

The way I see it, the Omlet weldmesh is pricey because it's top quality and built to last. It shouldn't deteriorate with any rust/rot over time, so may not need replacing/repairing for a lifetime. That also means it should hold its value pretty well if the time ever comes to sell it. I certainly wouldn't have been able to say the same about the DIY WIR I was previously planning!

Well done. :clap: I want one but can't afford it just yet as I only bought my (cube green) plus extentions last year. Do keep us posted. I am planning one for my big birthday in two years. :lol:

While I'm not currently a blonde I'm still struggling to see how a 2m by 2m run is 20 m2... Am I missing something?

Sorry, just realised that was ambiguous so amended my post - it's about 20 m2 of mesh including all sides and the roof, even though that only gives you 4 m2 of floor space.

It's due for delivery on 11th March (although I have to do some excavation and lay some slabs before I can move anyone in). I promise to post lots of photos and report my findings when it's ready :D.

It's due for delivery on 11th March (although I have to do some excavation and lay some slabs before I can move anyone in). I promise to post lots of photos and report my findings when it's ready :D.

We look forward to hearing all about it, I hope you are pleased with it.

I wonder if anyone else has ordered one :wink:

Chrissie

I thought it was pricey anyway and that was before I realised it had larger holed weld mesh half way up the sides and on the roof.

Is it my imagination or has the cube one come down a bit in price? I thought is was £510. :doh:

Crazy KC - yup, I noticed too that the Omlet WIR for a Cube with a run attached was £510 and now it is £475. I was teasing Mr Wolfie with it!

I would like one for a run on the grass for the girls, but we already have a home-made one, so can't justify it. Or can I? It would be fox-proof :clap: What's the saying "because they're worth it". :P

I am so pleased to find someone who has ordered one as my OH is quite keen to improve on our Eglu Classic with run for 2 chooks set up at present. I do like the green mesh not being too obtrusive idea too. Will hope to hear more from someone when its actually up and trsted - we were thinking of getting ours around Easter time when the ground is a bit drier.

After thinking ... and thinking...I've ditched my order for the classic (was going to use it for introductions, but now they're all together it's not really needed)...and changed it to a WIR for the cube and run!

At last I'll be able to sort out the food and water a lot easier (I'm only short but I am a bit round so it's a bit of a squeeze getting in and out of the cube's run!). And instead of me getting more girls the ones I have will have more room on a daily basis. I shall buuild some roosting bars so we can make more use of the available height, and there should be absolutely no problems with wind as they will be very close to the 5 or 6 foot high garden wall. This'll protect them from the elements too - and I shall be siting the whole set-up on paving slabs.

Any tips on keeping the skirt solidly on the ground, other than using stones or cobbles on top of it?

Yes, I use the screw in pegs on the grass - and they're very useful! But as I'm hoping to site it more permanently on paving slabs I was wondering if it could still be held down a little more securely?

This is a debate I'm having at the moment. I'm thinking of having a WIR (Omlet or otherwise! :whistle: ) and siting it on slabs and was wondering if I could actually get some bolt holes drilled into the slabs so i can screw said run to the slabs in case of gales, persistent foxes or escapist chucks?

Think it's today that the first Omlet WIRs will be dispatched? If anyone has ordered one, please, please, please, please, please can you let us know what you think of it when it arrives. I've recently had a (big) birthday :wall::oops: and had some money which I am putting in to the WIR fund, the question now is simply a case of which WIR (Omlet or otherwise) ... :whistle::anxious: