Poached

Still no eggs :(

My top hen Kiki is still not laying..

She gets Omlet feed (layers pellets), grit, bokashi bran, garlic.. The lot really, but she's still not laid since late October when she started the world's most protracted moult.

I'm not too bothered - I'm sure I read once there's anecdotal evidence that suggests hens' lifespan is loosely tied to their laying. (This is not something you can prove of course)

My top hen Kiki is still not laying..

She gets Omlet feed (layers pellets), grit, bokashi bran, garlic.. The lot really, but she's still not laid since late October when she started the world's most protracted moult.

I'm not too bothered - I'm sure I read once there's anecdotal evidence that suggests hens' lifespan is loosely tied to their laying. (This is not something you can prove of course)

yes it is good for them to have a break off laying

It's because you're feeding them corn Josh.

Corn will fill them up, but its like chocolate to us ... they'll get fat, they still need their greens.

Switch them over to layers pellets which has all the protein, nutrients and calcium in that they need to lay :D

They might grumble about no corn for a few days but they'll be better for it!

Just a query as my three of my Omlet hens stopped laying on a regular basis before Christmas and the one that had kept going (on a three day spell, one day off basis) has not produced any eggs for 4 weeks. We have had to start buying eggs.....the first time since the girls started laying 3 years ago.

Can anyone let me know how many years their original Omlet girls kept up production ?

A breeder quite close to us is hoping to have Cream Legbars ready in April and I'm tempted to get a couple to add to the flock so that I'll be able to see by the egg colour if the eggs have been provided by the new or the old girls.

Regards

Christine