Our Omlet WIR arrived on Friday, and after a busy weekend preparing the ground and trying to figure it out, I've pretty much managed to put it together. N.B. I haven't received the instructions yet, but couldn't wait to get cracking - so if it turns out I've put this together in completely the wrong way, it's my fault and not a problem with the product!

Here's a few photos:

The girls' current setup:

IMG_1789.jpg

The site for the new run:

IMG_1791.jpg

'Ground floor' going up (this bit was easy!):

IMG_1793.jpg

Upper panels and first structural piece (bit of guesswork, but I think I've done it right):

IMG_1794.jpg

Almost there!:

IMG_1795.jpg

I've now attached the original classic run, although there aren't any photos of that yet. The whole thing seems very solid and strong and looks great at the bottom of the garden. Putting the whole thing together took me around 2 hours. Definitely pleased with my purchase :) .

However, a serious problem with the run came to light early this afternoon, which I felt needed addressing urgently... :shock:

...It's far too big for just 2 chickens! :lol:

So when we went down to a local chicken supplier to pick up a bale of Rapport, we ended up coming back with a couple of new girls too - a Bluebell and a Black Rock. The layout of the run makes it perfect for introductions - the old girls are in their eglu and classic run, which I've partitioned from the new WIR where the new girls are temporarily sleeping in a rabbit hutch which I happened to have lying around (OK, which I bought from eBay on Friday 'just in case' :whistle: )

Here are the new girls getting used to the new surroundings:

IMG_1800.jpg

More news to come!

We've bought some shelterflex tarpaulin to wrap over the roof. That's one of the various jobs to sort out next week before we can say it's 'finished'. We'll have to see how that works out, but I'm imagining we might need to put some more tarp down at least one side to keep it dry enough in the rain.

We're also attaching some log roll edging to the outside to keep the flooring in, and building a dust-bath. Add a few odd logs and branches into the mix, and it'll be packed full of fun stuff for the girls in no time :) .

That looks wonderful ... I really am tempted now :whistle:

Go on - you know you want to :clap:

Yes, thank you for that :roll: the trouble is, I do know I want to! :wall:

Really want to take a trip to Omlet HQ or the shop to see one "in the flesh" so to speak. Also want to hang on a bit, just in case they are on special over Easter, (maybe, she says, hopefully :pray: ). Got a lot of saving to do first ...

trouble is, I do know I want to! :wall:

NO don't, the product is seriously overpriced.

Think about it.....you could get another cube or eglu and more chickens instead of this expensive bit of prefabricated nonsense .

This is exactly why I want to see one first. IF the WIR is of comparable quality to the other Omlet Runs for Cubes/Classics/Go, then the price is also comparable in terms price/overall area of weldmesh. I'm concerned about how sturdy the run will actually be and I can only tell that by seeing it in the flesh so to speak. There's no way I'd buy without seeing one first, and hopefully other Omlet WIR pioneers will post about their experiences to help me make up my mind - the jury is still out here!

ooh interesting. :D

I really like the look of one of those, we have been thinking of moving and the thought of dismantling the current WIR would be a nightmare but one of those would be perfect!! Great idea. I know they seem expensive but so like the idea its more moveable. xx

I like the idea they are more " instant" and moveable, especially if you don't think you'll be staying anywhere long- and I'm guessing they'll have a good re-sale value. I like the fact I could buy it and put it up myself. And it looks as though it will blend into the garden well. But, I'm still attracted by a conventional WIR so I'll sit on the fence a bit longer...

I wouldn't necessarily bank on the re-sale value. I know that Eglus and Cubes hold their value extremely well, but they are still pretty unique and are reasonably comparable in price to the better quality traditional housing. I honestly don't see that the Omlet WIR stands up well when compared to other (covered, pop-holed, kick-boarded, better value) WIRs - though I'll have a go at eating my hat if I'm wrong! :lol:

I like the idea they are more " instant" and moveable, especially if you don't think you'll be staying anywhere long- and I'm guessing they'll have a good re-sale value. I like the fact I could buy it and put it up myself. And it looks as though it will blend into the garden well. But, I'm still attracted by a conventional WIR so I'll sit on the fence a bit longer...

I'll join you sitting on the fence, if that's okay, Patricia W? (Might need to bring a cushion though! :lol:)

Thanks for posting the pictures. I have to say it does look very smart and u"Ooops, word censored!"trusive which would be great especially for a smaller garden. I do think they are over priced but having seen the photographs I would be tempted if I had the spare cash especially as it took only 2 hours to construct.

I think Omlet will come up with a roof for it sooner or later.