How big it this one and how much was it? How heavy is the material that it is made of compared to the standard runs? It looks smart bur not overly big. I wonder how it compares to those that are larger and purpose built to fit individual gardens and requirements :think:

The main run measures 2mx2m, (or just over 6' x 6') The classic run connects onto the corner giving another 2sqm of space.

The run itself cost a bit over £500 with the discount that was offered in the first week. We've then spent about another £50 on log roll to surround the base, and tarpaulin for the roof.

For comparison we had a quote last year for a 5mx1.5m wooden WIR which came in at around £560 (with a proper plastic roof). £110 of that was for delivery and construction, so Omlet definitely win hands down on that front - £5 delivery charge and easy enough to put up myself :).

The mesh is basically the same material as the standard eglu runs. There's a very strong steel pole frame which supports the mesh panels, and a generous supply of clips to hold it together.

Another reason I like it is that it fits perfectly into a corner of our garden - as neat as any purpose-built run could be. See below for the plan I put together in Photoshop (yes, I'm a computer nerd :oops: )

RunPlan.jpg

How big it this one and how much was it? How heavy is the material that it is made of compared to the standard runs? It looks smart bur not overly big. I wonder how it compares to those that are larger and purpose built to fit individual gardens and requirements :think:

The main run measures 2mx2m, (or just over 6' x 6') The classic run connects onto the corner giving another 2sqm of space.

The run itself cost a bit over £500 with the discount that was offered in the first week. We've then spent about another £50 on log roll to surround the base, and tarpaulin for the roof.

For comparison we had a quote last year for a 5mx1.5m wooden WIR which came in at around £560 (with a proper plastic roof). £110 of that was for delivery and construction, so Omlet definitely win hands down on that front - £5 delivery charge and easy enough to put up myself :).

The mesh is basically the same material as the standard eglu runs. There's a very strong steel pole frame which supports the mesh panels, and a generous supply of clips to hold it together.

Another reason I like it is that it fits perfectly into a corner of our garden - as neat as any purpose-built run could be. See below for the plan I put together in Photoshop (yes, I'm a computer nerd :oops: )

RunPlan.jpg

Can you tell me how high the WIR is :?: Like you we have a brick wall and I dont want it to show above this. At the moment we have the (cube green) and runs. I don't want to draw attention to the fact we have chickens by having the WIR seen from the street. :roll:

Can you tell me how high the WIR is :?: Like you we have a brick wall and I dont want it to show above this. At the moment we have the (cube green) and runs. I don't want to draw attention to the fact we have chickens by having the WIR seen from the street. :roll:

Just been out with my measuring tape, and the exact dimensions are 196cm x 196cm on each side (excluding the skirt), and 202cm high to the apex.

Hope that fits against your wall. We're definitely glad that it doesn't show above ours - although our chickens draw quite enough attention to themselves anyway with their daily noises :roll:

I think it looks great, and better than I thought to be honest. I do like the u"Ooops, word censored!"trusiveness of the green wire, and I think especially in a smaller garden (not saying yours is but hope you know what I mean!!) it's a neat solution.

and you are pleased and have morehens which is the main thing!! :D

That's what I use on my cube run but it still makes it look like a something,anything, draped in a tarp. Yes, it lets the light in but I wouldn't say you could see the mountains through it and the chooks are just a blur. My point is that you can't expect it to be u"Ooops, word censored!"trusive because it is not weather proof and you have to cover it with something. Only a force field would be invisible.

Thanks for going to so much trouble to let us all know about this WIR :D I am not in the market for one but was expecting the mesh to be a bit more robust than the standard runs. Anyone interested would have to factor in some sort of roof or cover and something to stop any bedding being kicked around. I think my concern on the face of it would be how attractive it would be when a tarp or similar is added and also I would worry that the mesh may bow a little with the roof or tarp. Maybe the mesh is more robust that I think.

I think it looks lovely and neat and fits into the shape of your garden perfectly - almost as if it was designed especially for you. Love the fact that your Eglu and run attaches at the back alongside your summer house.

As far as the tarp is concerned....... I use a transparent 'glass' tarp on my very extended cube run - which you can see on my blog link below.

I can see all twelve of my chooks clearly through it, and love the fact that I can see their antics - jumping up onto their perching bars, preening, etc. It doesn't restrict the view at all!

Your layout is just perfect as your view into your run will be end on - so no tarp at all at the front - brilliant!

I did add a piece of 'glass' tarp to the front of my cube run to keep out the snow and heavy rain in the winter - it just hooks up easily during the day.

Claret advised me to add some of the ridged plastic roofing to stop the rain/snow getting in at an angle which I did - and it's brilliant. No fixing required, I just slid it between the tarp and wire and can pull it out as far as I like or retract it. Cheap and cheerful.

Thank you for being so generous with your time showing us the photos, and putting a detailed plan on here - and being the 'pioneer' for the Omlet WIR.

It's great to to read the different points of view of other forum members and I am sure this topic will evolve as others buy the WIR's and adapt them to suit their different needs.

Looking forward to more photos and seeing all your girls happily settled in it together

I think it looks lovely and neat and fits into the shape of your garden perfectly - almost as if it was designed especially for you. Love the fact that your Eglu and run attaches at the back alongside your summer house.

As far as the tarp is concerned....... I use a transparent 'glass' tarp on my very extended cube run - which you can see on my blog link below.

I can see all twelve of my chooks clearly through it, and love the fact that I can see their antics - jumping up onto their perching bars, preening, etc. It doesn't restrict the view at all!

Your layout is just perfect as your view into your run will be end on - so no tarp at all at the front - brilliant!

I did add a piece of 'glass' tarp to the front of my cube run to keep out the snow and heavy rain in the winter - it just hooks up easily during the day.

Claret advised me to add some of the ridged plastic roofing to stop the rain/snow getting in at an angle which I did - and it's brilliant. No fixing required, I just slid it between the tarp and wire and can pull it out as far as I like or retract it. Cheap and cheerful.

Thank you for being so generous with your time showing us the photos, and putting a detailed plan on here - and being the 'pioneer' for the Omlet WIR.

It's great to to read the different points of view of other forum members and I am sure this topic will evolve as others buy the WIR's and adapt them to suit their different needs.

Looking forward to more photos and seeing all your girls happily settled in it together

Hi Dilly Like you I only bought my (cube green) extentions at the end of 2010 but who knows we may both upgrade in time. May be in Norfolk soon visiting sister will PM you if I am.

Managed to get out for some more photos today. The run is almost finished, log edging most of the way round, spare accommodation installed, and tarpaulin over the roof.

I'm not particularly pleased with the tarpaulin in fact - the rain is pooling in it, then dribbling into the run when it does run off. Might try some corrugated plastic. Also Amy thinks it looks like a market stall! :eh: See what you think:

IMG_1816.jpg

Next job is to lay shingle all the way round the outside and edge the lawn, but chicken watching is proving quite a distraction :whistle:

New girls are settling in well, and Pepsi laid us a mini egg this afternoon :dance:. After a week of separation we let them mingle for the first time today, although the old girls started to get a little mean :( so they're separate again for the time being. Using the front door of the classic run as a partition makes it a doddle to combine/separate the spaces though :)

IMG_1818.jpg

Since a few people asked about the structural solidity, here's a photo showing the cross-braces in detail. The whole thing holds together pretty solidly - almost like a market stall... :oops:

IMG_1825.jpg

I'm not particularly pleased with the tarpaulin in fact - the rain is pooling in it, then dribbling into the run when it does run off. Might try some corrugated plastic. Also Amy thinks it looks like a market stall! :eh: See what you think:

IMG_1816.jpg

How it looked with the addition of a tarp was my concern too :anxious: Don't really know what to suggest. There are plenty of inventive Omleteers out there though.One is sure to come along with good advise. Some have great ways of neatly rolling it up so that rain doesn't blow in from the sides too.

It's all looking good.

Lovely to see the 'girl's in the sunshine isn't it. Chickens change a garden in such a positive way. It takes me literally hours longer to do things now, as I just get mesmerised by all mine up to their antics here there and everywhere

Thanks for sharing the photos with us

You could try some corrugate plastic sheets but I think they'd be hard to fix in a way that would stop them rattling in the wind - and there isn't a lot to fix them too! The slight curve of the roof also complicates it because you either have to try to fold a sheet slightly to cope with the ridge, or lay them the other way and accept that some water will sit in the grooves.

I know it would shut out some light, but I think that corruline would be easier to fix as it's easier to drill and has a little more give. It's also less rattly in the wind.

Someone here has a very snazzy roll-up-blind type set up for their side tarps and it's the neatest set up I've seen. I'm afraid I agree with your market stall look at the moment - it's a shame to spend so much on something that's nearly perfect for your situation and then cover it with plastic sheets. :think:

Have you thought about not having a cover? You could put hardwood chips on the floor (from B&Q) and the rain and the chooks digging it over will keep it fairly clean, although you will need to change is occasionally. You already have some shelter in there and if you wanted more shelter you could buy a field shelter like this http://www.flytesofancy.co.uk/chickenhouses/Chicken_Shelter.html

I've got one of these for mine but I have not put it together yet.

Looks great. :dance: I find the bungies hold my clear tarp firm, I have a dirt floor with wood chip and they love a good old dig about. The run has been covered all winter and has kept very dry.I have lifted the side a couple of times including today as it is warm. Why don't people like a bit of rain getting in :?: It soon drys up in the summer. I will remove it for the summer leaving the Omlet cover on for shade a bit of protection from the rain.

Hi andyandamy, your set up looks fab, Im really inspired, but just wondering what the "stuff" is under your WIR, is it some sort of weed membrane?

Thankyou :D. Yes, it's weed fabric, although it's just tucked under the slabs at the edges. The eventual plan is to have shingle/pebbles around the outside of the run and around the veg beds, so that's why we've laid the fabric down.

Hi andyandamy, your set up looks fab, Im really inspired, but just wondering what the "stuff" is under your WIR, is it some sort of weed membrane?

Thankyou :D. Yes, it's weed fabric, although it's just tucked under the slabs at the edges. The eventual plan is to have shingle/pebbles around the outside of the run and around the veg beds, so that's why we've laid the fabric down.

:lol: Thats so funny andyandamy :!: Weeds will never be allowed to grow in your WIR while you have the GNR in there. Really want an Omlet WIR keep the images comming Thank you. :D