chestnutmare

please help me with my morehens disease!

It seems to be highly contagious amongst Omleteers - I've held out until now (6 months ago I'd never had chucks), but my new Cube is (hopefully) arriving today, not of course that I'm going to have any more chucks, its purely to give my existing girls a bigger home ... :whistle:

Very serious. The onset can be any time from 24 hours after delivery of your first Eglu and hens, but the risk increases with time.

Symptoms:

searching for local suppliers online

looking up different breeds

measuring up different reas of the garden

Voicing the words 'two (or three/four/five) hens are so easy to look after, a few more won't make any difference'

shouting 'Ooh, look - chickens for sale!' when driving locally

There is no cure, but symptoms can be alleviated by enquiries about walk-in-runs, and spreadsheet exercises enabling you to calculate how much money you could save up if you stopped feeding the children can bring temporary relief.

Symptoms:

Voicing the words 'two (or three/four/five) hens are so easy to look after, a few more won't make any difference'

Eek I have all the symptoms :anxious: Oh and I have bought a chicken magazine recently too and turned to the ads at the back first :(

Very serious. The onset can be any time from 24 hours after delivery of your first Eglu and hens, but the risk increases with time.

Symptoms:

There is no cure, but symptoms can be alleviated by enquiries about walk-in-runs, and spreadsheet exercises enabling you to calculate how much money you could save up if you stopped feeding the children can bring temporary relief.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

CHM - go on you know you want to, besides current demand for your eggs must outstrip your supply, so surely it makes economic sense :wink:. I will if you will :whistle:

Definitely terminal! You will note all the symptoms above plus

- shouting "chickens" whenever you see them on the TV

- saying "ooh, I'd love to get a [insert breed here]"

- planning out how you can re-jig your run for more intros

- having a DH who says "how many this time?"

With me it was going to be 3 chooks to lay eggs - up to 8 already :)

Yep will vouch for Speedy Gonspacechick. It was love at first sight and out she rushed. My OH rang while we were in the queue to pay and he tentatively asked er have you . . . ? The sigh of relief when I said no could be heard all over Wessex. It was hard mind you - very hard because me wants blue laced bantam Wyandottes, and faverolles and croad langshans and and and . . . .

I just love this post!

I bought a lovely Welsummer trio just oabout 3 years ago, then aquired another hen, then last summer hatched my own and bought some day olds.

And yes, I keep planning how I can re-arrange the garden to add another small area for some 'fancy' hens.

ITS VERY ADDICTIVE!!!

:lol: I'm loving the responses - it seems there is no hope for me! :lol:

Bramble, have you received your cube yet?

Space Chick, what's going in WIR no. 2? :wink:

I will if you will :whistle:

:lol: Ok, so I'll go first... but you have to stick to your word, agreed? :lol:

I'll probably have to wait until I have moved house (which will hopefully be very soon) before getting more chickens. But I am already plotting... I've even found myself thinking about my next chicken-housing purchase. :roll:

:lol: Bramble, have you received your cube yet?

Yup, Cube arrived yesterday, on schedule, I now have a kitchen FULL of humungous boxes, but daren't open them, cos then I'll start putting it together and then I won't be able to get it out of the house, oh flippety flip, what have I done? :wall::wall: 2 more ex batts maximum, that's it, no more :whistle:

I've found that not only do I react to chickens on TV, but I keep hearing the same bbc chicken soundtrack. It appears on all sorts of programmes , not just the obvious ones. For example, it was on Doctor Who (when they Victorian Christmas edition), Whenever there is a chook on a bbc programme, even unrelated to the story, you can here them burbling and bocking away.

By the way, the correct medical term for this sort of illness isn't "Terminal" because it isn't going to kill you, it's "Chronic" which means it's incurable.

Many years ago, my DH was very anti chicken, and it was an uphill battle for me. Before I got chickens, my normally quiet husband had a moment of public outrage in a restaurant, when I mentioned that I was thinking of getting 4 chickens instead of 3.

Now we have 16, and are both totally engrossed in it.