chestnutmare

please help me with my morehens disease!

Morehenitis....you all told me it would stroke again - and it has.... :shock::lol:

Ok, as you know, we've got 4 girls - 2 RIRs and 2 Hybrids - we'd like to add 2 more - we are going to see some hens tomorrow at 'Hens Made Easy' (she sells Eglus etc) - she has a variety of young POL hens for sale - there are Welsummers, Marans and she mentioned Bluebell Hybrids - HELP - any thoughts???

I'm thinking of either having a second coop as the one I currently have is really only suitable for 4, or selling that coop and buying another one that is suitable for all of them. If we had 2 coops in time they could all choose where they wanted to be and whoever could share with whoever they wanted. Would this be ok?

I plan to buy 2 tomorrow :clap: and introduce them in the same way that we did when we brought the two RIRs home and introduced them to the Hybrid girls - will it be ok to introduce 2 new ones to 4? The introductions only took a few days, there was never any bloodshed, just a bit of handbags at dawn! I still have the separate hutch/run to ease the new girls into the flock..will it take longer to introduce 2 to 4?

Any thoughts/advice - would be greatly appreciated. :dance:

No experience so also no advice... but WOW! :shock: This disease really has struck you :lol: Would be lovely to get some blue/green egg layers to add some colour to your eggs :D How are they, Are they all settled together now? Anyway good luck and keep us updated with piccies :D

No experience so also no advice... but WOW! :shock: This disease really has struck you :lol: Would be lovely to get some blue/green egg layers to add some colour to your eggs :D How are they, Are they all settled together now? Anyway good luck and keep us updated with piccies :D

All fine together, they have behaved like a flock for the past few weeks, even in the early stages it was more posturing than anything else, Ginger is very much the boss and will occasionally give a quick peck to Poppy who just walks away. Thistle and Babs are totally non-confrontational and just get on with eating!! They happily all go to bed together and I often find them sitting on the perches.

They are all so different - Ginger is bossy, Poppy very nosey, Thistle is the flighty one and Babs is just the sweetest, lovliest natured little bird.

I am so excited about going to look at the selection of hens tomorrow, the lady was lovely and very helpful.

Pics WILL follow.... :lol:

Well Wendy, you're well & truly smitten :lol: Have no experience of these breeds but just wanted to ask if you would consider ex batts :?: I really love them - friendly & feisty at the same time. I think we're getting some more when it warms up a bit.

We were thinking about bluebelles but I think they might be a bit too big to share an eglu with our big ladies. Could you let me know what you think of the "hen keeping made easy" place as we have few breeders around.

Best of luck whatever you chose, Alli xx

I emailed several places about ex-batts but was told each time that there was a waiting list. I also contacted our local battery hen farm but was told they had none. :?

I will let you know how we get on tomorrow.

The other breeder we spoke to had Bantams - Frizzles, Pekins and Wyandottes - I was worried about putting little ones in with the bigger birds.

Ii had a bluebelle and was really disappointed as she wasn't at all friendly, was very flighty and also not a good layer, she was plagued with sour crop too as she was so greedy!

My welsummer is lovely and her eggs are the most fabulous dark brown. I'd agree with Spacechick about getting a welsummer and a hybrid. I have 4 hybrids and 3 pure breeds and think they are a lovely mix! :wink:

I had a Bluebelle. She was friendly enough, but stopped laying at little over a year old - died last summer. My Welsummer is the most timid of my chooks, though her eggs are a lovely colour, why not just wait and see what takes your fancy ?

As for two coops, that is exactly what I did. My original coop can house 8 , no problem, but the attached WIR is only big enough for 6, so when I wanted more chooks I had dad make a 2nd coop ( also bigger than needed- didn't learn my lesson :roll: )and a 2nd, bigger WIR that shares 2 sides with the original WIR. I put the new chooks in the new run and after a couple of weeks removed the mesh seperating the 2 runs.Now the new chooks pile in with the original chooks ( I only have 2 of them left) and the 2nd house is used by Muppet and the 'chicks' she hatched last year, but they all have use of the connected runs.

If you get a 2nd coop get an extra big run and try to butt it up against your present one, then you can do the same . It needs to be extra big though , cos these won't be the last new additions to your flock :wink::lol:

Where are they then :lol::whistle:

Didnt get them :( the POL birds for sale had lice and as my own birds are totally clear i didnt want to bring home any problems. The lady was nice and the birds have a huge area to roam in, she did say she will treat them all and we can go back if we want to - kind of feel a bit deflated as i had the box and the 'temporary' housing already. :?

I liked the Bluebelles, we also like the look of the Cream Legbars and the Marans.

If nothing else, we got the opportunity of seeing all different breeds and it does give you a good idea of what you fancy and dont.

So...a bit disappointed, but i wouldnt do anything that would put the girls at any risk.

Trying to find breeders up in this area seems really difficult. :(

I had a Bluebelle. She was friendly enough, but stopped laying at little over a year old - died last summer. My Welsummer is the most timid of my chooks, though her eggs are a lovely colour, why not just wait and see what takes your fancy ?

As for two coops, that is exactly what I did. My original coop can house 8 , no problem, but the attached WIR is only big enough for 6, so when I wanted more chooks I had dad make a 2nd coop ( also bigger than needed- didn't learn my lesson :roll: )and a 2nd, bigger WIR that shares 2 sides with the original WIR. I put the new chooks in the new run and after a couple of weeks removed the mesh seperating the 2 runs.Now the new chooks pile in with the original chooks ( I only have 2 of them left) and the 2nd house is used by Muppet and the 'chicks' she hatched last year, but they all have use of the connected runs.

If you get a 2nd coop get an extra big run and try to butt it up against your present one, then you can do the same . It needs to be extra big though , cos these won't be the last new additions to your flock :wink::lol:

The 4 girls we have are all very friendly and nosey etc - one of the RIRs is slightly skittish but when they all came they were unhandled and flighty, they all seem to have tamed very quickly.

The girls have a large walk-in run - so that part is sorted, i have someone coming to buy their coop/integral run tomorrow, so am thinking of ordering this...

COCOON1000X.jpg

I'm guessing 3 nest boxes will be fine for 6 birds - there are also 4 perches and the living space is much larger than they currently have - i like the fact that the roof opens up and it means giving it a thorough clean and spray with red mite stuff will be much easier - i also like the storage area - if i put their bedding and newspapers in here it will also help insulate the house.

It looks great...but how weathertight will that roof be in a torrential downpour, or a pile of snow on top gradually melting in?

The house will be inside the WIR which is roofed, so it's safe from any weather.