patsylabrador

**Thread of little facts & things**

Oooo wow how exciting :D seems like you've done your research, I remember just going to the pet shop and picking some pretty rats I liked :lol: I did know how to look after them of course! Seems a long wait though... hopefully it will fly by :D

No I didn't rehome them, I was fine with them at the start but I seemed to get worse, they were my second lot of rats and was fine with the first 2! I just couldn't handle them for very long, I managed to clean them out once a week but ended up sniffling and sneezing so it was up to everyone else to handle them!

Inky-1.jpg

Heres Inky :D Sorry for those who don't like them... no-one ever liked their red eyes! :(

We spent the weekend trying to make our own rollaway egg system for our homemade wooden house to beat our naughty girls, Saturday's prototype, was a complete failure, but with the addition of a cobbled together cardboard box it now rolls the eggs out of their reach, we now need to work out how to make the cardboard template more permenant. :?

I also saw something quite odd on the way to work last week and can'r for the life of me remember what it was now, great idea for a thread though. :D

Hey chickencam, a friend is struggling with crows stealing her hens' eggs and I suggested they try to make a roll-away egg system. Could you pass on your design??

I am not sure that it would help. We made the house ourselves and all we have done is take off the nest box at the back and refitted it so that it is angled slighly so the eggs roll. We have cut a slot at the back of the base in each nest box and have contructed a shallow box section under the slots and protruding out at the back that we have made a shallow open backed drawer for. We haven't perfected the design yet, the eggs drop too hard and crack, so yesterday we changed the angle slightly and lined the drawer with cardboard and put some pipe insulation at the end. I will try to post some photos if I get time.

This is a wildlife observation so no one has to respond but this was so sweet to watch.

The lawn hasn't been mown for weeks so the plantain has grown about a foot high. Adult gold finch and baby started at the bottom of the stem, shuffled up to the top to bend the stem over, then the adult hopped off, leaving baby to peck the seed heads.

And I saw a scarlet tiger moth! I have no idea what they feed on but it must be a Good Sign.

(Sorry, OH thinks I am completely bonkers but I know that some of you might understand).

Proud Mum moment

DD left me a prezzy in the potty this morning :clap::clap::clap: . She is such a clever girl.

Sage

Well done to your DD! :clap:

I'm potty training with my youngest at the moment and its so funny all the excitement and fuss around poops and wees!

Heres Inky :D Sorry for those who don't like them... no-one ever liked their red eyes! :(

Been there, done that, got the T-Shirt! :lol: Whenever I tell anyone that I'm getting rats all I get is "Ewwww! Why would you want rats? Their tails are all slimy and horrible and they'll give you the plague!" :roll: This is what I get from going to an all girls' school! :lol:

Awww Inky was lovely :D Were your rats girls or boys? I love hooded rats, I'd probably get hooded ones if my breeder bred them but she doesn't. Minks/ Cinnamons and Russian Blues/ Blacks are still really cute though :D

Sidenote: Is it sad to be thinking of names for rats that aren't even born yet? :lol::oops:

I know what you mean, everyone thought I was crazy when I said I wanted rats! Fancy rats are completely different to the horrible ones you get in drains!! I guess its just like chickens, you wouldn't expect them to be such nice pets until you actually have them :D

Haha not at all ;) We named ours but called inky got her name when she went up the printer on the first day and stayed in there so 2 days...! My first 2 were boys, I think we got girls the second time because they smell less but I really can't remember if that was the case. Neither of them smelt bad though. How are the chicks doing? :D

We were a bit upset (a bit???) last night as my son brought one of our girl rats downstairs. They had a new supersized wheel a couple of months back & he thought that one of them had lost weight due to the exercise. She was huddled up & cold & could hardely move; most worrying was the blood coming from her lady bits....Half an hour later she was dead, but she had died trying to eat food, it was still in her teeth.....I would have thought an animal dying wouldn't have tried to eat but it appears I was wrong, furthermore, she had been running around the cage full of fun in the morning. R.I.P. Esme :-(

Half an hour later she was dead, but she had died trying to eat food, it was still in her teeth

Oh so sad, I only came on to bore you with my house insurance* again but your story of Esme really touched me, I'm sorry :(

*kept on hold forever and was getting fed up. Will it take them over 45 mins to answer? Oh yes! Did I hear their awful synthesised music stuck on repeat a dozen times? Oh yes! Did I cancel and go elsewhere and save £150 with better cover? Oh yes!)

Edited by Guest

I keep getting tingling in my finger and the edge of my little finger on my left. After using Dr Google, it seems I may have trapped my ulnar nerve! One of the causes is sleeping with the arm of the affected fingers bent. Which I do, left arm bent under my pillow. Not going to be able to sleep like that again :(

Haha not at all ;) We named ours but called inky got her name when she went up the printer on the first day and stayed in there so 2 days...! My first 2 were boys, I think we got girls the second time because they smell less but I really can't remember if that was the case. Neither of them smelt bad though. How are the chicks doing? :D

Yes, girls are supposed to smell better but I don't think there's too much of a difference to be honest.

The chicks are fine. They're four weeks old today. You forget how quickly chicks grow and how messy they are :lol:

... that reminds me, I STILL haven't put any photos of them up :oops:

It was bucketing down this morning (still is!) so I dug my coat out of the cupboard to wear when I went to check the girls. Sophia had already laid a lovely big egg and I put it in my pocket, thinking "I must remember to take this out before I go to work".

Hmm... Went to work, got through the day, home time came so I put the coat on and CRACK! :wall::wall:

It had to happen one day...

No the reptiles were not mine but from a local pet shop who did pet parties.....

I did have visions of explaining to OFSTED why the children in my care had a snake bite or a nice skunk smell....

Mind you all the parents stayed and waited until the end and joined in holding the animals etc....I never realised a skunk who could be so cute....perhaps I could put one in the WIR !!!!1

I've been baking and made ***A*** scone, yes one giant one instead of lots of little ones. All because I don't like handling food (I think it started with Swine Flu - I work in a school and now constantly wash my hands :oops:). So instead of rolling the mix out, I just tipped it from the bowl into a baking tray and flattened it with a spatula :lol: Now I'm no great baker (!) but the last couple of times I've made it, it came out lovely, a bit like a sponge cake :lol: But this time, well... I had no plain flour so used SR instead, skipping the baking powder. YUK! I've made a giant FLAT biscuit!

And this reminded me of "pimp that snack" from a few years ago! This was my favourite - the effort they put into the foil was incredible (and inedible! :lol: ), although the party ring and Jaffa cake came close runner ups :D

Picture18.jpg

Today I took some garden snails in to nursery for my 2 year olds to observe and we all spent about half an hour watching them. I never knew snails were so fascinating. Seeing the wonder on the children's faces when they got virtuallly nose to nose with the snails was great AND for the first time ever, I saw a snail do a poo. I never realised snail poo came out from between the side of the snail's body and it's shell. I'd just assumed it would come out from the back somewhere. You learn something new every day! :lol: