As I plan the greenhouse walk in run I'm wondering what to plant in the in-ground beds. I realise that the chooks will annihilate whatever I put in there pretty quickly, but still, I'd like to do what I can to make it nice for them when they arrive (I realise now that I have gone chicken-potty).

Am I best getting some wild flower seeds, or perhaps just some tough grass, or should I see what weeds I can find to seed in there? Being a greenhouse, whatever I choose should grow pretty fast.

I'm not sure I'd bother, to be honest, they really will strip anything in seconds :roll: . I have a plant in my WIR but they aren't keen on the leaves (and I empty what's left in the glug onto it every day) so it's doing quite well. I've no idea what it is though!

They'll be just as happy with nice dry dusty beds to dustbathe in :D .

Read your first post on converting the greenhouse into WIR, really think that tarpulin on the roof will not be enough if the weather is hot, have to agree that it would be better to replace some of the panels with wield mesh to get good air flow, chickens do not regulate body temperature well and are like miny furnaces even in the coldest weather. As for planting inside you could try cutting the bottom off of a large pot and placing directly on the dirt, this stops the chickens digging it up and you can surround the pot with some sort of fine fencing or netting to protect the plant while it grows, not saying it will work though, chickens have habit of getting what they want but had a small victory with this method and a now healthy looking tomato plant :D

Yes, I think I might just go for a bit of grass for when they first arrive :)

really think that tarpulin on the roof will not be enough if the weather is hot, have to agree that it would be better to replace some of the panels with wield mesh to get good air flow

Yes, will definitely go this route and check temperatures well before the birds arrive. Can't be doing with hard boiled eggs. :lol:

At our pet shop they sell "Kitty greens" seeds which grow very fast. They are made for cats to munch on inside and then grow back. These are definitely going in our chicken run salad bar. I've seen folks put in weld mesh (1/2") so the grass has a little time to grow before being mowed over. When I get our salad bar together I'll post photos!