craftyhunnypie

An eventful evening!

Earlier this evening, we noticed a nice pigeon in our garden ' free ranging' with the chickens. It was a lovely one with nice markings, but on closer inspection it had 2 leg rings. Oh heck we thought - it's a racing pigeon lost. The girls went to bed, but Percy pigeon was still hanging round the garden. We gave it some mixed corn & water - it drank loads poor thing. We couldn't catch it though. It decided to roost in front of hubbys shed on the decking. Hubby threw a towel over it & scooped it up into a cat carrier, with a thin log as a perch - some corn & water. we checked its ring & looked it up on the homing pigeon site. It is from Santry, Dublin...Ireland!!! :shock:

It is settled for the night in the carrier & in hubbys shed. It's a lovely thing. year of hatch 2010. You can learn a lot about pigeons from a website. Hubby loves it. I'm calling hubby Jack Duckworth!

We have emailed the owner - so hope to hear tomorrow what we do next. :anxious:

Not your average Tuesday night. :lol:

Emma.x

Percy had a good nights rest. He's all spritely on his perch in the cat carrier. He's ate quite a bit of mixed corn - A lovely thing he is.

Not heard anything back as yet from the Irish Homing pigeon place. If not heard anything by lunch time - will ring them.

I just hope they don't say to release him, as I've got a feeling he won't go. He rather liked our garden. If that happens - we will have to get a dove cote for on the wall for him. :roll:

Mum & dad used to have pigeons & doves. They soon learnt to come home after being ' wired' in their dove cote...got a feeling Percy would do the same.

Wonder how they will get him back to Ireland?

It could only happen to us - never a dull moment! :lol:

Emma.x

I presume my mums neighbours will advise or even 'take it in'. They will know more what to do & will be able to quarantine it, before mixing it with his own flock. If we are advised to just release it, it will be sad - but will be done. If it comes back to us - then hubby will consider a dove cote on the house for it to roost in. :roll:

Emma.x