Hello

Bumpa bits :- Has anyone used these before? I have just fitted them on my 2 year old hens Ruby and Penny. They seem ok, Ruby has tried to eat and drink but im not sure if she has been successful and Penny just keeps tring to pull hers off How long does it take them to get use to them? Can any one give me any advice.

I have fitted them because im tring to introduce three new 11 week old hens and ive tried meet and greet with them but they seem to just fight i am un sure if i should put bits on them all or just the older two so they can not attack each other or just let them fight it out i have been told just to but them in at night and that they will just sort themselves out or use these bits to prevent pecking can anyone help me

Hi there :)

11 week old chicks are far too young to be placed with 2 yr old hens - they could kill them because they will attack them and be too strong :(

You will need to keep them apart until they are at least 20 weeks old and gradual intros are best :)

Someone more experienced will be better at giving advice and will be along soon :wink:

Do you have a hutch/run/cat box you could use? Take care x

Thank you for your help i will keep them apart for now then. I have a different run for them at the moment and that is next to the other hens run so they are use to seeing each other. At what age do you think i should put them in together and should i put bits on them all do you think or just take them all off.

:?:

Hi, well just over a month ago i got 3 new hens that were 20-22 weeks old, Yes seperate them ASAP, they are not mature enough to stand up for themselves, the other hens would dominate and kill them most probably! I dont like bumper bits, i have never used them so maybe my view is void but i have read horrible stories on here, pulling beaks off etc. When my 3 newbies went in the cube after about 2-3 weeks (they put themselves to bed in the cube and they have been in there ever since) They others girls did peck, they are sorting the pecking order out and its natural, although hard to watch sometimes. I felt sorry for the newbies and my older hens. Think about it, if a couple of people just walked into your house and sat down you would be pretty miffed wouldnt u?!!! I used anti pek spray, but only when they were REALLY pecking, i didnt do it all the time, just if they were having a bit of a squabble, the older girls hate it and will stop pecking straight away, at the end of the day there is going to be a little pecking and noisyness as they are all getting to understand themselves again but just take it as slowly as you can. The links egluntyne has posted are fab, i used them and they are full of info. Good luck xxx

I've just had to resort to a Bumpa Bit on one of my girls. She's been feather pulling (and eating) so all the other girls have bare bums and rather sp"Ooops, word censored!" tails. :(

How long should I leave the Bumpa Bit on her? And is this a short term preventative or will it change her behaviour? Any help gratefully received! :)

Leave it on until it drops off - in my experience they eventually work their way off/wear out. You may find that it's changed her behaviour, because she's lost the habit, but some hens are persistent peckers. You've done the right thing - it's a last resort, but your other girls will have a chance to regrow their feathers, and some respite from the painful pecking and feather-pulling.

I agree with Olly, I have used them a few times and usually the problem has sorted itself by the time the bit falls off, but I did have one hen who not only pulled feathers from the others she also pulled her own out, she was flighty and funnily enough bottom of the pecking order, she also had trouble with a bumpa bit because she had been beak clipped before we got her, just goes to show that this horrible practice doesn't work.

I would rather put a bumpa bit on one hen and have the rest in good health than see them pecked constantly.

This is really useful advice, because I asked about persistent feather eating ( own and others) on another forum, and asked about Bumpas...and was shot down in flames, as if I had threatened to debeak my girls. They just eat each others feathers ( bottoma nd legs) when they are all dustbathing together...they always look bald! I might think about it as the nights draw in!