sparkysmum

Australorps

Two of our pekin's chicks are australorps, we think one girl and one boy. They are just lovely and are now just over 6 wks old. We are soooooooo tempted to keep them. However I don't know much about the breed. Does anyone keep them :?: What are they like :?: How big are they :?: At the mo, they seem very sociable & get along just great with all the others :D but I'd just like to know a bit more. Cheers, Alli x

Australorp = Australian Orpington

They have all of the docile, laidback friendly nature of the Orpington without the sheer size (black Orps were crossed with other lighter breeds in Australia to create these)

they are single combed so it sholuld be quite easy to tell the males from females as they grow up a bit :D

I have an Australorp, large fowl. She is absolutely stunning. Very big, very gentle - completely unaware of her size. she has the most gorgeous eyes.

Australorps are a good dual purpose breed, and an Australorp crrrently holds the world record for egg laying.

Absolutely fabulous birds.

No idea if the Bantams are the same, but I can't see why not.

I have an Australorp, large fowl. She is absolutely stunning. Very big, very gentle - completely unaware of her size. she has the most gorgeous eyes.

That'll be her orpington heritage 8) And its the reason LF black orpington girls are my favouritest bird in the whole wide world :D

My two year old black australorp, Daisy, is a total joy. As has been said before, she has the prettiest eyes I've ever seen on a chicken, a lovely nature, gorgeous feathering and a real zest for life. And I believe her to be very clever - she responds to her name, lets you cuddle her, and has learnt which parts of garden are out of bounds. It was also fairly easy to tell at about eight weeks that she was a girl - the comb is quite small on hens, as compared to cocks.

I've never actually found her to be a brilliant layer, in all honesty, but that's fine by me. She's never gone broody on me either, which is great!

I also acquired her by accident in a batch of fertile eggs under a broody, but am now a total convert. I'd be happy to only have australorps from now on!

Here she is as a four week old, with her mummy (Buff orp) and auntie (Bluebell)

2962fee.jpg

and then this was last summer (at around a year old).

2gv2bt1.jpg

P.S. She also shares my birthday, so is especially precious to me :)

When I was deciding between large or bantam I saw some large Australorp. They are lovely but our current garden and set up is better for little girls. If ever we are able to have full size chickens I definitely want one! I love that green sheen against the black. The feathers that my naked neck does have are like that although nowhere near as thick and glossy :shock:

Thankyou everyone, she's very special to me, bless her. The only lovelier chicken I ever had was her Mummy, Henrietta (the buff orp) who I sadly lost last January to crop impaction (died on the operating table :( ). Daisy was an only chick, so she and Henny Penny were especially close, even when Daisy was fully grown. When she lost her Mummy, Daisy seemed to turn to me as the next best thing, which is lovely.

I recently sent her on a short holiday with a friend who has a huge friendly blue cochin boy (called Cuddles, because he loves them!), and he took something of a shine to Daisy :wink: Unbeknownst to me, her eggs went in the incubator and hence Daisy now has a son and a daughter that she's never met, but who I bet will make the most docile and beautiful pets for someone out there when they are sold. I'm even tempted to buy her daughter myself, so I have another chicken as lovely as Daisy! :D

Oh mothercarey, what a lovely story about Daisy. She sounds like one, beautiful gal :!: Sootydog , my bantams have on occasion cleared more than 1.5 metres but tbh they're happy just pecking around and for the most part they don't fly. I haven't had any of my chickens wings clipped. Hope this helps. Alli x