Henergy

Leaking cube :( *The saga continues*

We ordered the cube just now and will arrive next Monday (yippee :)), but now I'm a bit worried. Should we test it with the hose before the man leaves or the hose would cause leakage anyway?

I'm sure yours will be fine - I think its quite rare - just typical of me !!

As some of you know I am in the process of trying to sort a leaky cube (will be contacting Omlet again in the morning) One thing that looks odd on mine though is that the green cover does not come down as far as the grey (picture will hopefully help) on the side with the pop hole handle. This is the side of most water ingress so I'm wondering if its part of the problem. Could someone with a nonleaky cube tell me if its right or wrong please. (I did ask Omlet but they've not answered me)

Is this right ?

(ps there is no way we can adjust to pull it down as there is no slack)

It almost looks as thought the base of the cube is uneven so that the water is pooling in the corner rather than draining through the bottom hole. My cube doesn't have the grey bit visible under the side wall :?

Is it definitely water getting in? Just wondering if it could be condensation that has pooled in the bottom rather than draining away. Or water that has blown in - mine doesn't leak, but if we get horizontal rain, it sometimes blows under the poo trays. It always drains away though.

Hi, ours is similar to yours with the grey showing on the bottom it is joined to a WIR although temporarily as we are doing intros so we will need to do some adjustments when it becomes permanent. We have had some water in the right hand tray when big downpours happen but I think that blows or comes from the back drain which falls above it. There aren't any leaks at the front where yours seems to be or any large amounts under the trays. There is a drain next to the gap in the door which is inside the joint and ours drains to the front but comes out underneath. We have it on a table and have made sure it is level using a spirit level. Does the water just come in under the trays or also on top of the trays?

I don't have a photo of the side but you can see the back of ours on this one.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/17/img2325uo.jpg/

Will check cube later but your cube would make the roof slope to the front away from the drainage channels and alter the angles. I would check under that side for any tags in the plastic stopping it going on flat. You may be able to file any swarf away.

I'll check this afternoon. :D

Thanks everyone - I will get there in the end :)

Its harder I think when you have had to erect it yourself & not had the Omlet man round - so I want to ensure all 'user error' is sorted before I shout too loud about it.

I still love it though - it took me 15 minutes to do a real good soapy wash of it at the weekend. Marvellous. And judging by the way all 4 squeeze into the nest box at night - they must find that its snug. Of course mean chicken mummy turfs them out but I think in the depths of winter I'll let them snuggle :)

I've just checked my cube after the heavy rain and winds last night.

The grey base does show underneath the green side panels. However the panels are much better aligned and fitting more snugly togther unlike Malcolms,

I do get some rain underneath the poo trays which drips down thru the drainage slits. This is not a problem as the chooks dust bath is directly underneath and if it gets very wet I just empty and put in fresh soil. How much rain getting in depends on wind direction, strength and how level the cube is.

I do keep the three winter covers underneath the cube on all year round as these do stop the rain driving in thru the mesh and the chooks love to rest in the semi shade in the summer.

The front of the run is soaking wet from last nights rain so I'm off dig out the winter covers

My cube is the same as yours on the right hand side, with a gap showing, the piece of plastic showing at the bottom is also the same.( My cube leaks in on the right side.) My son who put it together for me has tried to 'realign' as suggested by Omlet, with no change to the overall structure.

I had to chase Omlet today for a reply. Customer service seems a low priority. The reply takes some believing.

"I have taken a look at the pictures with one of our directors, he has advised that there are normally gaps all around the houses to allow air into the house to avoid condensation, our houses are designed and fitted with weather kits to avoid anything like this from happening."

They want me to spray with a hose to see where the water comes in. They will then send someone out to try and put right.

If they had decent quality control in the first place the problem would not occur.

Take a look at the photos and tell me if this is how they should look.

I had to chase Omlet today for a reply. Customer service seems a low priority. The reply takes some believing.

"I have taken a look at the pictures with one of our directors, he has advised that there are normally gaps all around the houses to allow air into the house to avoid condensation, our houses are designed and fitted with weather kits to avoid anything like this from happening."

They want me to spray with a hose to see where the water comes in. They will then send someone out to try and put right.

If they had decent quality control in the first place the problem would not occur.

Omlet customer service has been second to none for a lot of people here, so I'm sorry if you feel it hasn't been.

I bought a second hand cube, and I have these gaps (the same size as yours, I did worry it would let rain in), it's been gale force winds and raining torrentially for 2 days, and I lifted the roof this afternoon to find it dry as a bone inside, so I wouldn't panic too much.

Keep chasing them, I have the same problem, but mine is second hand, yours is new, Omlet need to sort it - did they build it? I have found their service good, but they can go deaf on occasions if the problem is more tricky. Maybe you could get yours swapped for on they have tested?

here are a couple of photos of my cube if it helps. There has never been a drop of water in it even in the most awful rain and howling gales. I don't necessarily think it is the size of the gap that is the issue but how it all fits together and the angles I guess. Good luck. I can't say that I would be happy paying the price they are and then having to cover the cube in waterproof covers.

http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab22/chuckymama/P1020181.jpg

http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab22/chuckymama/P1020182.jpg

Edited by Guest