NFMC

Poo on concrete?

So - three days in and I'm noticing that chickens produce quite a lot of poo. Who'd have thought that such small animals would creat so much!I had German Shepherd dogs as a kid and they didn't produce as much *ahem* produce!

Anyway...I have a 'normal' suburban garden and today they've decided to spend practically all day on the concrete underneath our outdoor table. And as such have done their poos there. I've brushed them up and given it a blast with the hose but is there anything else I should do?

It's a real sun trap and we like to eat out as much as we can so don't want to be sat in and round any chicken poo!

I've not put any food at all near there but it's not stopping them pecking at my tubs and also the various weeds in the cracks of the concrete - there's a job I'll never have to do again!

Plus - I have a wormery...the majority of the poo is going in there. Is that OK? It's very well established so I imagine it'll be fine. I've decided not to give the worms to the chickens just in case there's any crossover.

Thanks.

Yes I'm safraid they do poo, copiously, usually where you least want it. Mine do it all over the back doorstep. :roll:

I've given up worrying about it and have learnt to dodge the ones not yet swept up.

If I really don't want them to leave presents for me, I resort to the trusty Omlet netting and give them their own space.

Mine are the same..on the patio especcially the step by the door. :roll:

I keep a metal food spatula and a small plastic container by the back door and each time i go out I scoop it up and put in the container till the end of the day and then throw a bottle of water over the whole patio and sweep it over with a broom.Jeyes fluid now do a spray on one so I spray with that and by the morning we are all ready to start all over again :lol:

I have a number of black plastic spatulas (really cheap Tesco ones) strategically placed around the garden and every timne I go outside I poo-flick i.e. dextrously flick the offending blob into the nearest flower-bed. Or delicately s"Ooops, word censored!"e the delicious gooey-korma ones onto the soil and cover with a bot of loose soil. Some plants are really thriving with this fertilising and it quickly disappears. I have the 'flick' down to an Olympic art as too strong and it goes over the fence next door; too weka nad i have to go and repeat the flick! Their dirt tray from the Eglu is s"Ooops, word censored!"ped inot the compost bin every morning. The analysis and disposal of chicken poo is one of the joys of owning them I'm afraid.

Jeyes fluid now do a spray on one so I spray with that and by the morning we are all ready to start all over again :lol:

Just be careful with Jeyes fluid if you have cats...it's not good for them

I am very carefull and throw buckets of water over it after spraying ... Only when it starts smelling like a farm yard :lol:

As for cats...Enough said :roll: I am scared of them (after an incident as a child) so not really welcome

Thanks all - so, after they decided to pepper the concrete yesterday, today they've done none. Today the grass has got it all. I have mowed and it is a touch warmer - can't think of any other reason. Dare say tomorrow will be back on the concrete. Very strange.