counturchickens

Stressed rescue cat, suggestions please

After losing our beloved Cat aged 19, we've adopted another from the cpl. She is a gorgeous 7 year old, black with white star on her front. When we adopted her she had become stressed in her foster home and had been pulling the fur from her back. Went to the vets, and invested in a feliway plug in and some spray. She does spend most of her time in the sitting room where the plug in is, but her bald patch doesn't seem to be any better. Has anyone else had experience of this? I also sprayed her blanket which she uses as a bed, but not much anywhere else.

She seems happy otherwise, super friendly and enjoys a cuddle, eats and uses the litter tray no problem. We'd be grateful for suggestions.

I got a cat from cats protection at the weekend but thankfully mine is not stressed in the slightest.

It seems to me you are doing all the right things and when I read the title instantly thought of feliway but you are using that already.

Perhaps it is something only time can fix. Does she lick the fur off or is it just not growing back? If she licks it maybe you could put a jacket on her? Is it possible she has an allergy to something and that is irritating her skin/fur?

Could you post a photo of her please she sounds pretty with her star. What have you called her?

She is called hattie. Perhaps we are being a little impatient, she has come on really well since she arrived - she spent the first 2 days hiding in a drawer! She has progressed and now rules the sofa :lol:

I had thought about a jacket in case she has just got into the habit now. Some patches seem to be growing back, but she's still doing it. The vet did say it would take a month or so for the feliway to take effect, and it is about that now. She is allergic to fleas which might have been the original cause, but her foster carer noticed the fur pulling.

I was hoping someone might have some experience of something similar.

I had a rescue British Cream cat who regularly stripped her fur down to the skin. We tried everything from Feliway, to allergy testing and even anti depressants.

In the end we just had to realise that this was who she was and to accept it. We never got to the cause of it all despite years of trying. As long as she's up to date with flea treatments and wormers just give her time.

My rescue cat does this in response to her flea allergy dermatitis. I would try something a bit more hardcore than normal frontline - we used frontline combi religiously for a year before it got better. We've not been using it recently and madam has a bald bum again. You can use a couple of drugs to help treat it if it's that, but they have been linked to cancer in cats, so not good long term option.

Thanks. Have been using advocate monthly on the vets recommendation. She hasn't been outside yet (not showing any interest) so I don't think there are any new fleas. The other complication is that she can't take some drugs as she is on metacam due to an old injury which has healed badly, bless her. Might try the jacket, thanks for the tip dogmother.

We had a rescue cat who did this. When he was rescued by Animal Protection Trust he was furless all across the main part of his body. His previous owners had not had him treated by a vet at all and he had a very bad allergy to fleas. So bad, he was not put up for rehoming for 3 months until his fur had regrown. We were recommended either frontline?? and or a steroid that our vet injected into him for sometime, before we got hime weaned down to normal frontline. Also I gave him garlic to keep the little blighters off him. He had been very physically abused before we had him and ended up costing an absolute fortune (£6k!!!) at the vets due to illness whilst we had him. We had him insured but only for the first grand on each incident...silly us didn't think a cat could get through that much treatment. He was a very very sweet cat and lived until he was 15 years old. He did lick himself a lot when we first had him which gradually reduced over time...then he got furballs and constipated...we bought fur ball remover that we gave him....an oily gungy stuff that cats are supposed to love only ours didn't and we had to mix it up in his favourite tuna. I hope this helps you, it was sometime ago that all this happened so if I remember anything else, I will post.

Thanks clucker1, sounds like you had a bit of a time! Hattie isn't as bad as that, although she's clearly had some abuse. I could resort to violence for the things some people do to animals.

People are seeing quite dramatic results with a product which is a diffuser like Feliway but it diffuses a mix of essential oils including valerian it is called a 'Pet Remedy Diffuser'. It works on all mammals but reports of it's use in cats are amazing. I would try one of these before a shirt or jacket as one might cause her more stress at this stage.

That looks good CM, sounds as if it's better than DAP, which has little effect on my scaredy dog when there are fireworks around.

I have also found a contact (through a friend) who practices TTouch; I am going to see if she'd teach me that so that I can use it on Rubes at new year when we will have more fireworks going off. I've heard great reviews about it. It might help your cat counturchickens

Thanks for the pet remedy suggestion, saw that whilst googling. Will try that too! As I say she is much happier in herself, I just worry about fur ball problems later down the line. I have ordered the jacket, but will give the pet remedy a try first.

My old cat Tigger(aren't they all called Tigger!!) had a flea allergy, if it got bad, the vet would give her a steroid jab to take the edge off, and to allow the fur to grow back, then we'd watch like hawks for any trace of fleas... She lasted until she was 19 and a half, and was a lovely girl, who we all still miss

When Tigger had flea allergy dermatitis, the dermatologist recommended Stronghold rather than any of the other flea products. She seemed to think that it had a better effect on this particular condition...

People are seeing quite dramatic results with a product which is a diffuser like Feliway but it diffuses a mix of essential oils including valerian it is called a 'Pet Remedy Diffuser'. It works on all mammals but reports of it's use in cats are amazing. I would try one of these before a shirt or jacket as one might cause her more stress at this stage.

Chucky Mama, I'm so glad you mentioned this - I've been using Feliway on and off for the last year, but have more or less accepted that Welly and Claudette will never be good friends. However I ordered a couple of these, one for a friend who's just rehomed a rescue cat, and one for me. I can't say my cats were 'worshipping the wall' like in the photo (I wish!), but last night Claudette sat on my lap for half an hour for snuggles and purrs.

That might not sound particularly dramatic, but I've had her for nearly three years and it's only the second time she has EVER sat on my lap! Last night she lay down, purred, butted her head against my arm and generally behaved like a normal cat rather than the spiky, anti-social one I've grown to love. Counturchickens, have you tried this yet? I am very impressed, and can I add that it also makes the room smell rather nice!

Chucky Mama, I'm so glad you mentioned this - I've been using Feliway on and off for the last year, but have more or less accepted that Welly and Claudette will never be good friends. However I ordered a couple of these, one for a friend who's just rehomed a rescue cat, and one for me. I can't say my cats were 'worshipping the wall' like in the photo (I wish!), but last night Claudette sat on my lap for half an hour for snuggles and purrs.

That might not sound particularly dramatic, but I've had her for nearly three years and it's only the second time she has EVER sat on my lap! Last night she lay down, purred, butted her head against my arm and generally behaved like a normal cat rather than the spiky, anti-social one I've grown to love. Counturchickens, have you tried this yet? I am very impressed, and can I add that it also makes the room smell rather nice!

Glad you have seen a change in your cat using it Olly. It works on all mammals including humans and whilst there is a human version called Stress Remedy, it is exactly the same as the Pet Remedy. I is great for those that don't sleep well. I am always amazed at how things like this work so well on behaviour. I suppose it goes to show how harmful stress can be.

I got them on Wednesday evening, plugged it in that night in the lounge, and then moved it on Thursday into the kitchen, which is where Claudette (the spiky one!) spends most of her time. Yesterday she actually climbed onto my lap of her own volition, without me lifting her up - I nearly cried!

Today she's snoozing on a kitchen chair next to me, she has one eye open and one ear cocked in case her stripy nemesis Welly comes in and surprises her, but she is looking very relaxed - she's always preferred a chair under the table or a cat-bed with a high back, before. I am very sceptical about these sort of products, and honestly wasn't expecting any difference - I've never been sure whether the Feliway worked or not - but I don't think it can be a coincidence that after nearly three years, she has suddenly changed.

She is a damaged cat, and I'm not expecting her to suddenly become a total cuddlepuss like Welly, but it would be lovely just to have the occasional stroke without being savaged!

So please for you olly! Some of hattie's fur is growing back, but every now and then had a chew on herself. I am really sure she doesn't have fleas, I think it is a compulsion now. She is super affectionate though.

You need to be 100% sure that your flea control is tip top. If she has a flea allergy it will take only 1 bite to trigger a reaction. You need to have sprayed your house etc with a suitable environmental spray - Indorex, RIP, Acclaim, Skoosh (Flee) to deal with hatching larvae and fleas within the home.

I might try that plug-in too. We've had our rescue cat fro 5 years now and she's a s good as she's going to get; She will come in at night if it's cold, but usually spends most of the day, and warmer nights, outside. I assume that she has somewhere to snuggle up.

She's never really made eye contact with us and will only come up on the bed for a cuddle on her own terms, then she gets down and sleeps on a chair in my room. She was in a very bad state when we got her from the rescue, having been pregnant and kicked about, so we're not expecting great things, but any improvement is better than nowt.

Thanks chucky mama. I am confident about the fleas, we have been infested years ago (in a different house) and had to do all that. I have never had any issues since doing away with carpets! The vet combed her for ages and couldn't find any, plus she has had the monthly advocate on top. Having read up I do think she has just formed a habit now, but will give the pet remedy longer. She is very affectionate and after being a stray then at cpl for a number of months I wonder whether it is separation anxiety. She has started venturing just outside the back door, but comes back as soon as we are out of sight.