Dandelion

My hens are messy eaters!

The first two hens we had in our eglu were well-behaved Omlet rangers, who ate their layers pellets from the Grub container, and were fairly tidy birds. (They could decimate a garden, but we won't go into that....) With the demise of one of the rangers we now have two new hens - a Blacktail and a Rhode Rock, and one of the original birds. They seem to have developed a habit of emptying out the pellets onto the floor so they can scratch in the wood chippings, but I'm a bit concerned about hygiene and the quality of the feed as it lies on the ground. We have the run covered so it doesn't tend to get wet, and change the flooring every few months.

Yeah...our old (omlet) hens used to do that...and so do our new ones -.- seem to like it all mushy. I do advise you to try and clean it up...we let it get a bit damp last winter and the ground got all mouldy :vom: You can buy containers so they can't spill it...but where's the fun in that, eh? :)

One of mine does that. I've put a large cat litter tray underneath the grub and secure it with washing line pegs (to the run), so I can empty it out every few days. Some does still get on the floor so at the weekend I just rake it up (I only have bare earth and a bit of hay in the run so it is easy to do that).

I've just put in one of the feeders that redwing suggested for the same reason - and they hate it! Probably because they can't scatter food onto the floor. Some of them are more messy than others. Our blackrock, Blodwyn, is VERY messy and chucks food all over the place, but the bantams are generally tidy eaters, as is my CLB x Marans and one of the rangers.