lindafw

Eggs in Winter

Having invested in 3 Hybrids in October (bought at point of lay) I suddenly have eggs :dance: 3 in 4 days...all from the same hen by the looks of it...I am so hopeful the others will start to lay. I wonder if my pure bred hens will start feeling guilty for being on strike?

Who else is getting eggs in late November?

Getting two every day, and three eggs on most days - I try and have a couple of new hens every year, to keep the egg flow going. My two gingernuts who were POL in May are laying, and the Copper Maran most days. The Speckledy is 4 years old now, her comb is very pale and I don't expect her to lay again till spring - if then. The daisybelle is moulting and the Bluebelle is just contrary!

Last year I hadjust one week - between Christmas and New Year - when I had no eggs at all. :(

Lily, White Star is laying every day. She even laid throughout her moult. Primrose, ex free range rescue girl and 4 years old now is in a fearsome moult and she is laying every day as well. Daisy, Sussex star is laying and so is Sweetpea, Cream Legbar cross.

Today I got another egg as well. Not sure for certain who laid it but it think is was Bluebell, the Bluebelle who has just finished moulting.

I picked up 3 new chicks in mid September as POL - one bluebell, one speckedly and one light sussex (can't be sure from looking if she is purebred or hyrid). We have been getting one egg a day from the bluebell (we think) for the last 2 weeks and had our first egg from one of the others just this morning. It is a lovely pale pinky cream colour so could come from the sussex, but who knows!! My 3 established hybrids are all laying every day at the moment. Dolly had moulted her knickers so we were down to 2 for a while, but the egg numbers have increased with the appearance of her new knickers :lol: So this morning from 9 chooks, we had 5 eggs - only 2-3 weeks ago we were lucky if we got 3.

My Cream Legbar pullets hatched this spring are laying quite nicely at present as is my Olive Egger, and the later hatched Cuckoo Marans and Higgledy Harriets are just starting :D So I have blue, green, brown and speckled eggs :dance: Clever girls, and I am hoping they will carry on through the winter months.

CreamLegbarMaransAraucana.jpg

Edited as to practice posting photos

Edited by Guest

My three oldies are still laying (POL this time last year), but it is becoming less frequent. And Emily the new speckledy laid her first egg yesterday. Just need the last two hybrids and the pekins to come into lay and we will be overflowing again :?:dance:

Are they really classed as oldies then? :(

I got POL last november - but now thinking about it they would be about 1 and a half now? :o

Still getting 3 eggs a day though! :D

Are your chickens hybrids? We were like that last year....had new girls and everyone complaining few eggs...we were getting 4/4 eggs a day. We were very proud and gloating!!!!! newby chicken owners. This year 3 eggs from 6 chickens...I think it must be they are older as they are now approaching 2 years old. Have wormed them, done everything in the book..just think it is Mother Nature and you can't beat her...unless you put in lights etc......

Are your chickens hybrids? We were like that last year....had new girls and everyone complaining few eggs...we were getting 4/4 eggs a day. We were very proud and gloating!!!!! newby chicken owners. This year 3 eggs from 6 chickens...I think it must be they are older as they are now approaching 2 years old. Have wormed them, done everything in the book..just think it is Mother Nature and you can't beat her...unless you put in lights etc......

Yes clucker they are all hydrids and youngsters being less than a year old, guess I will make the most of it this winter then and do loads of baking while I can :lol::lol: Love having them anyway, eggs or not, but the eggs are such a bonus x