abwsco

The pram minefield

Can any recent Mum's or Dad's recommend a pram for my DD to buy please. They don't own a car but it must be fairly lightweight and easy to collapse for when in goes in our car boot or the other grandparents car. Also, their flat isn't huge so don't want one that's large. Have a very limited choice of shops to see any in the flesh. Not too bothered about ahving one with a car seat as can buy that on it's own. Thanks :)

I think the best one I had was a Baby Jogger City stroller. Very light, easy to manoeuvre and easy to collapse one handed whilst holding baby!

Can't remember whether it can be used from birth though.

I also had a Jane - they are expensive but are the Rolls-Royce of pushchairs.

I had a Maclaren techno XLR. Fab pushchair covered from birth to toddler easily. Lovely and light folds down in one manoeuvre. Unlike lots of my friends that went for the sporty buggies I didn't have to buy a second light weight buggy for holidays etc because the Maclaren covered it all. They have solid rubber wheels so no risk of punctures. I must confess I loved my 4 wheeler, after finding the 3 wheelers quite difficult to steer :think: (probably just me). Lovely range of colours too. Perhaps people would discount it because your child does face away from you but there is a lovely clear section in the hood so you can get a clear view, personally it wasn't a problem for me.

Oh soo long ago now - mine was a Chico something or other I think - brilliant - now if you want advice on walking sticks, zimmers etc - only joking - good luck.

Mamas and Papas Pliko Pramette :D Baby can lie flat facing mum which for me was so important. Turns easily into a buggy as they grow and is umbrella folding so it doesn't take up much space. Easy folding mechanism too. It was slightly bigger than my Maclaren Techno but that was a price I was prepared to pay to have my baby laying flat facing me.

I would recommend the Phil and Ted over and under push chair. The baby can lie flat and be face to face with you and you have the chair as well. So when you have one you have somewhere for the shopping and the yummy mummy bag. If you have another you can stick with the same pushchair. If you only have the one there will be room for shopping and a little friend. These came out the year after I had my child but my friends had them they are brilliant. I often had to balance other children in to one seat but not with these. They fold easily as well.

I had a Jane. It was big and heavy and took up the entire boot and you had to take the baby out to fold it. However the demented dog never knocked it over and it could go cross country. Not quite what you are looking for though!

Sister obsessed with prams! She loved her Pilko Premette, I thought it was heavy though. When tiny baby she also had a Quinny zap where she just snapped the baby carrier seat onto the frame. Bit flimsyish they are, but oh so very handy for just popping round the shop. Out the car, snap on to frame & go! She also had a quinny buzz which she liked.

Don't buy a Skate! She found this pram very dangerous for a little one as not much to hold baby in. She soon got rid of that!

She has just bought a Phil & teds double pushchair from The baby show & she has also bought a pram called 'Mimi' which is lovely!

Emma.x

Thanks everyone.

I've been told pramettes can be too small too soon. She wants baby facing her for as long as possible. I've also decided that we'll have a car seat just for our car so don't want one that includes a car seat.

I've not heard of Jane so looked at those online and found a Nurse (sister make) Hello Luxe Capazo whihc was a Which best buy. Looks good to both me and her but no stockists nearby :(

A car seat will be my next problem-lol

The Pramette wasn't too small at all, it was the only pram I bought for Georgia and she used it right up until she didn't need it any more. Sadly my pram needing days are behind me but if I needed another pram I'd buy another Pramette.

I had a m and p 'skate' it cost the best part of £700 with the car seat and was a total nightmare (I even ended up changing my car so it would fit in the boot :oops: ) I also had to remove a radiator cover from my hallway so I could get it in the house! It looked (and still does) gorgeous but was just so big and heavy.

Eventually I gave up and bought a quinny zapp which was a fraction of the price and is the smallest folded puchchair in the world (or it was a year ago) it's so light and easy. I think it can be used from 6 months but could be wrong.

Both my sisters have 1yod and both have been through LOADS of prams one has stuck to her bugaboo but it is not small but so easy to push .

the other now only has 3 :shock::? her fave is the quinny buzz ive taken baby out and its easy to push and folds up quite small .

the other she has is a pramette nice pram a bit heavey but folds up and a zap extra very lightweight and very small and can be used from birth :D

Thanks Sarah and emmastar.

Will write off the M & P Skate then.

The Nurse one we've seen online is here and she's also seen the Quinny Senzzlinky

Opinions on either of these would be welcome :)

Quinnys are tiny and very lightweight that looks to be a cheper version of the zap extra it will e very lightweight so no good for carting shopping about if she dose not drive ,

the first looks to be a copy of the bugaboo they dont fold down small at all and that looks to be near the same i would opt for the second one of the 2

Without wanting to put a spanner in the works, or appear unhelpful...

I don't have a car all week, so if I want to get anywhere with baby we either walk or use public transport. We can walk long distances sometimes! And the weather can be cold, wet and / or windy. Any shopping I buy (including grocery shopping, nappies etc) also either has to go into the basket of the pushchair or hang off the handles. And this is on top of the usual baby stuff I carry around - spare nappies, clothes etc etc etc

Therefore, I am VERY glad I did not go for a cheap light weight pram/pushchair. It just wouldn't cope with everything I personally throw at it and know parents who after 4 or 5 months regret going for the lightest option as you just can't hang anything off the handles without everything falling over... Also having a more substantial pushchair means baby stays much warmer in the colder weather and better protected against the elements.

We have a Silver Cross Linear Freeway Pram & Pushchair (not the compatible car seat), and been very happy with it.

Good luck though. It is a nightmare choosing one! My only other comment is make sure you work out what is really important to mum and baby. Is it weight, or is it storage for example?

Thanks again emma star and C&T.

C&T, appreciate your comments. DD needs one that doesn't take up much room as their flat is small with no hallway but as I said it can't be too heavy for getting it in and out of our car boot either :? We have a Mazda 323F and you have to go up and over into the boot iykwim. I struggle to get a 20kg bag of chicken feed into and out of it but I do have no upper body strength :oops: She won't be using buses as the town centre isn't too far away which is a plus.

Has she considered the bugaboo bee? It's lightweight, forward and backward facing, can have baby flat in a coccoon and folds fairly small (though not as small as a quinny). It's a flat fold, but not narrow if you know what I mean. I've had a BUNCH of pushchairs. The zapp is very handy, but if I bought something similar again I'd go for the petite zia star, which has a recline unlike the zapp. We have a bugaboo donkey for our two and a Phil and Teds vibe for tandem days. The P and T is good, but three wheelers are a nightmare to steer in my opinion, and they don't tend to fold down small. The bugaboo is glorious, but was expensive and is a big pushchair, even for a double. We've also had a Mamas and Papas Luna, which overbalanced if you sneezed at it, a stokke xplory which was divine but massive and a whole bunch of maclaren type buggies which we run into the ground and then replace.

So in brief, my recommendations would be to look at the Bugaboo Bee and the P and T smart buggy. As far as car seats are concerned, a maxi cosi cabriofix is relatively inexpensive, very good and can be used with most pushchairs if you buy the adapters. I never used isofix bases as we have to take the seats in and out of our car so much it's safer to fit with the belts than risk getting the isofix wrong, and it's cheaper anyway.

I'd also suggest considering second hand pushchairs. Apart from the donkey, I've never bought a new pushchair, I see it like cars, someone else can take the hit for it being brand new! Otherwise, Mothercare do a decent layaway system and will price match :)

Thanks aunty e for your thoughts. I'm glad you mentioned secondhand as I went on a search and I'm just waiting to hear back from someone who has a Silver Cross sleepover pram (classic frame) for sale. It looks to be in really good condition from the pictures so fingers crossed it is and that DD likes it. Not sure if it will fit my car boot though but then not sure how often we'd all we out in the car anyway. Sorry I'm rambling :oops:

It's so tough working out which is the right one! If only there was only a couple on the market it would be so much easier!!

Read reviews as well. Take them all with a pinch of salt, but you can get a feel for what others experience of a pram is. Netmums has a review section, and sites like Mothercare of course as well. Just in case you haven't found them!

Although not sure if reviews make it easier or harder!!

Thought I'd update that I'm back with the Silver Cross pram. It's like new and never even been used as a pushchair. The girl didn't even know how to take off the carrycot or collapse it but luckily I'd watched the Silver Cross video last night. Won't fit in our boot easily but it was just too good to miss. It's also a "proper" pram. Bought back memorys of the coachbuilt one I had.

Classic%20Sleepover%20Pram%20Marina1.jpg

We really like our Silvercross pram - hope yours works out for you and your family too!

We really like our Silvercross pram - hope yours works out for you and your family too!

Thanks C&T I'm sure it will. DD was over the moon with it anyway which is the main thing.

Car seats are the next thing to look at. Again, there are far too many to look at. Do we go for one up to around nine months and then swap over :? Isofix ones are ruled out as our car is an M reg.

Car Seats... It took us ages to find one that would fit our car...

Check the websites of the different car seat manufacturers to check if they are OK in your car. Our local MotherCare were really good as well at checking the fitting when we eventually found one. We had to order the seat online, but then took it into the local store still in its packaging to check the fit - luckily it was OK. A couple of other different stores claimed to fit car seats, but wouldn't have trusted them for love nor money!

We've ended up with a Britax one, up to 26lbs I think from memory, and is OK. LO is comfortable in it, and easy to get her in and out. We've not had to test it in a crash thank goodness!

They are one thing we refused to get 2nd hand, as safety in the car is so important and you don't know how a seat might have been used and abused in the past...

Thanks again C&T :) Did one of the stores you wouldn't touch begin with an H by any chance. As far as I know they're the only one round here that do say they will fit car seats :?