Hi all,

Last night, our Eglu was stolen from our run.

It would be irritating enough on its own, but whoever took it decided to take our last remaining chicken with it which belonged to my five year old daughter. She is distraught as you can imagine (the chicken was 4 years old and was the last of our original omlet chickens)

Just a warning for you all to be vigilant - some people will steal anything.

That's shocking - it's actually the first time I've heard of this, and considering how heavy an Eglu is (if it's not taken apart) and how awkward it would be to move if it were dark, it must have been pre-planned I should think. So sorry to hear it, and your poor daughter must be terribly upset.

I agree it's worth looking on eBay etc, the trouble is unless it was marked in some way it could be hard to identify. Can you give us any more information (without giving away too much personal detail) - was it in your garden, and was it attached to a run or was it in a walk-in run? Do you know how the thieves got in, and how they carried it out? I'm so sorry for you and your children.

First of all a HUGE {{{{HUG}}}} for your daughter, I know my children would be devastated should this happen to our girls :twisted:

I think it's disgraceful and totally agree you should keep an eye out on E-Bay, Gumtree, Pre-Loved and the like, also keep an eye open in the local farm shops etc maybe???

Thanks all for the kind words - I will be monitoring Ebay, but it wasn't marked so would have way of identifying it as ours in all honesty.

We reported it to the police and they said it was the first case they had heard of (heating oil thefts are the only things that happen occasionally) but I just wanted to give a little warning to everyone so you can be alert to potential thefts. The funny thing is that our dog was really jittery and barky last night but we just thought she was just having one of those funny nights so ignored it (probably wise as wouldn't want to come face to face with these people in the dark!).

Take care all.

I'm so sorry to hear this and can totally understand how upsetting it must be for you and your children.

I must admit, I have a padlock on my WIR because it really wouldn't surprise me if someone stole my chickens ... but an Eglu!!!??? That would have needed at least two people.

Second hand Eglu's do sell for quite a price, so clearly someone knows their stuff, saw yours and thought it was an opportunity. Selfish people rarely consider the feelings of others.

Your post highlights two issues:

1) security (as in my case I have a padlock - even though it's a minor deterrant to the determined) and,

2) finding a way of security marking an eglu :think:

Just a thought, but are you sure they stole your hen too? Is it possible they left the door to your run open and she got out? If they were stealing to sell it on, they probably wouldn't want her too. It might be worth having a look around for her, she may be hiding in a bush somewhere. Perhaps calling her and rattling some corn might coax her out? Perhaps ask around to see if anyone has spotted a lone hen nearby.

How terribly sad. The loss of your eglu is very annoying, the loss of one of your girls is simply dreadful, I can only imagine the heartache that you must be feeling. I guess as ANH said, she may have got out while the scum were stealing the eglu. Or they may have a shred of decency when they find her in there and return her to your garden :pray:

So sorry and angry :evil: to hear your news. Your daughter must be distraugt. I hope you get good news soon.

There used to be a security pen you could buy which was invisible but showed under ultra violet light...I had one years ago and postcoded things like laptops etc. I will try to get another and postcode my eglu on the inside. If anyone else knows where to get one please post

So sorry to hear about this, especially the loss of your chook.

Might be worthwhile taking a moment to post on "stolen" section of the Practical Poultry forum, wth whatever details you have. There are plenty of people there who will be able to help keep a lookout, and wo may benefit from your sad experience.