Hi, To Omlet staff

Re theft of Stuartlowb's Eglu & hen : Omlet have a Facebook page , an Omlet Newsletter & operate on Twitter. Is it worth getting some basic details of the theft from him & posting them on all of those? It would be a great way of getting the "poultry /Omlet community" aware of what's happened & increasing the chances of getting his Eglu and/or his hen back home. The more publicity / eyes looking the better.

Doesnt help those of us with older Eglus though - I have marked mine with fluorescent pen thing and toyed with idea of marking with a permanant marker but that won't help if i want to sell it. Omlet must have a list of buyers - couldnt they offer a service of marking any Eglus with a unique number or something? for a small fee I would pay that. I am paranoid at present as there are builders up ladders over the way - apologies to any honest builders but we all know that often those employed by companies are not scrupulous when it comes to hiring labour. My Eglu is green and partely obsrured by a bush but i still worry. We are in an area where burgularies are going up and up and we here of 2-3 a week. Its scarey and I dont want to lose my girls. I saved as many of us did long and hard for my Eglu and chucks and I do not want to lose them without a fight.

Hi,

But it would help those of us with older eglus ( me included) if Omlet chose the option of a kit with small container ( like dog ID cylinders that u unscrew) that u could put onto one of the small manufacturing holes in our Eglu,. They could sell them on Omlet Online, each kit with a unique serial number, & u could put it into your Eglu & seal it up . (after making a note of the unique serial number on your Eglu paperwork).

If it was stolen it would be identifiable & if you were buying a 2nd hand one & someone couldn't tell u the Unique Serial Number or u could see that the Eglu had been tampered with, u would know that it was stolen. The sheer fact of having a sticker saying "Security protected" would put a thief off.

If a register was kept by Omlet or on the forum by members it would be even better- our Eglus would be traceable & protected by each other.

I would certainly buy a kit like that & if necessary pay a small yearly fee to keep my Eglu safe from thieves.

I think a serial number engraved on the metal bar of the door opener, not visible unless you know where to look, and serial number can be logged against buyer details by Omlet at time of purchse, second hand buyers could pay an admin fee for owner details to be updated on database, verified by seller to ensure no fraudulent claims of ownership.

Good ideas, They could do a service for those who already have Eglus and charge a small

reregistration fee.

I've tucked my Classic away from sight now, I don't think they would be able to steal the cube without

a lot of fuss and Dawn barking her head off at them. :lol:

I think we'll see a lot more of them being stolen sadly as their price secondhand is very good compared

to most coops.

Good point Karen, perhaps Eglus will be the new s"Ooops, word censored!" metal.... there have been problems locally with s"Ooops, word censored!" metal 'merchants'; rather than just touring in their van shouting 'rag and bone' they have taken to nicking stuff out of back gardens; the most recent being a washing machine that a man had put out there (under a lean-to) while waiting for the insurance company to come and inspect it. Luckily he saw them and was able to head them off.

You're right on the edge of the village, but luckily have guard dogs - do you have warning signs up about the dogs? that's usually a good deterrent. Mine will bark at unusual noises outside in the night, and the PIR lights all come on if anyone sets foot inside my back gate.

Good point Karen, perhaps Eglus will be the new s"Ooops, word censored!" metal.... there have been problems locally with s"Ooops, word censored!" metal 'merchants'; rather than just touring in their van shouting 'rag and bone' they have taken to nicking stuff out of back gardens; the most recent being a washing machine that a man had put out there (under a lean-to) while waiting for the insurance company to come and inspect it. Luckily he saw them and was able to head them off.

We have had problems with them too.

As we are in the building trade,they keep doing VERY slow drives past the house,looking into the driveway to see what is there.

Luckily I can usually see them,as my office faces out into the road.

The few times they have stopped & come to the house,we have given them no encouragement at all & they have left again.

We had no fence at the side of the garden last week,while it was being replaced, & I was very worried about the Cube & Eglu....but as my husband pointed out,anyone stealing them would have to get them over a very deep,very muddy stream too :lol:

OH and I were discussing the theft of the eglu and really you do not think how much money you have invested in equipment lying about the garden. Thankfully we do not have much trouble here and our eglus are not visible. However recently we have had to let people in to deal with a telegraph pole and it makes you more aware of who they may tell or who may wander into the garden when the gate is left open. Maybe I am starting to get a bit paranoid now :? I am not sure how many people here actually know how much eglus are worth as there are not as many hen keepers as down south. This does have benefits as I was able to pick up a run extension for a few pounds locally on ebay mainly I think due to lack of interest.

You're right on the edge of the village, but luckily have guard dogs - do you have warning signs up about the dogs? that's usually a good deterrent. Mine will bark at unusual noises outside in the night, and the PIR lights all come on if anyone sets foot inside my back gate.

No but we have a "beware of the rabbit" sign for Ruby :lol::lol: and a "Beware of the chicken poo" sign. :lol:

I am worried about the s"Ooops, word censored!" metal van as i have had around 10 people knock our door asking to buy

my Defender :shock: one even ask me to name my price, He was sharply told that "Dennis is not for sale :notalk: "

I think it's only a matter of time before to catch on.

I shall put the evil Fran in there a nights. :twisted:

We have to make sure my brother brings his bike/scooter (peddle powered!) round into the garden when he pops in the house for something as quite a few kids locally have had them taken by the s"Ooops, word censored!" metal people when they have been left on drives.

You can't see our eglu unless you're in our garden or a direct neighbour, but it is visible on Google Earth :?

As well as "Beware the Dogs" signs , the dummy alarm boxes ( especially with a red blinking light, run by battery) also help deter would-be thieves. Try not to leave anything visible in view. Padlocks on gates & chicken runs would also help. If thieves see anything that's going to slow them down & increase the chances of being seen/caught, they move onto somewhere easier.

I think someone else on the forum mentioned that they chained the Eglu through the vent holes - they'd have to take the Eglu , minus the back!! Again , if the thieves saw that they'd go elsewhere to something quicker & easier. At least if they decided to try & cut through the chain it would slow them down & increase the chances of being seen/heard.