chickencam

What have you been sowing and growing 2012

Dug over the rest of the veg beds and planted some spuds - Charlotte and Nicola. Also dug over my cut flower beds and found a buried bit of revolting bone :vom: And we don't own a dog :shock: I sowed some Sweet Peas a few weeks ago and they are up (Navy Blue and Hunters Moon which is creamy white) so now I've sowed some more (Daphne, Charlies Angel, Royal Wedding & Terry Wogan) so try to get a succession. I must find a deep crimson one to go with them I think :D

I potted on all of my tomato seedlings on Saturday, and some chillies, aubergines and dahlias. I also planted quite a few more seeds of various things and planted 18 Honeoye strawberry plants, in a new raised bed filled with the contents of one of my many compost bins, the soil looks lovely, we have never produced such good compost although it has been in there for a couple of years and was a good mix of veg peelings and aubiose from the hen houses. :D

When did you plant them, and what season are they meant to fruit? If you have autumn fruiting ones they are usually cut the ground after fruiting and they will then grow strong new canes during the spring and summer ready to fruit again in the autumn. If they are summer fruiting you would usually just take down the weakest canes after fruiting, leaving any new strong canes from that years growth to grow on and fruit the following year.

Ive got both varieties in different places - i kept the cards on them so I'd know which to cut so cut down the autumn ones. The summer ones I just left as they are as they were quite small really so didnt want to cut any off.

As of yet I don't see any new shoots coming up though so didn't know if thats right as everything else seems to be budding and getting leaves on already! I think i planted them about june/july time - as i said it was late but i wanted to try and get them established for this year

stehaggan my autumn fruiting Rasberries are just starting to set leaf on last years canes so I'd think the new shoots should start to appear in a week or 2. I double crop mine so thats why I still have last years canes as I prefer yellow Autumn rasberries

SJP - I've heard yellow fruiting rasps are even better than the red ones, is it too late to get some in do you think? I planted some Tullameen a month or so ago as I like their flavour. I currently grow polka but I'm not overkeen on it, I prefer my neighbours rogue raspberries which have travelled into my garden :lol:

Stehaggan - My established autumn fruiterers are only just beginning to break into bud and I am quite a bit further south than you I think.

SJP - I've heard yellow fruiting rasps are even better than the red ones, is it too late to get some in do you think? I planted some Tullameen a month or so ago as I like their flavour. I currently grow polka but I'm not overkeen on it, I prefer my neighbours rogue raspberries which have travelled into my garden :lol:

Stehaggan - My established autumn fruiterers are only just beginning to break into bud and I am quite a bit further south than you I think.

it's only early march so no if you can get some it's worth a try and pot grown one can go in at any more or less. mine is the one that has apricot in the description.

Shoots on the raspberry canes & lots of shoots on the gooseberry bushes. It must be the cow muck, Sid the old fella put round them! :wink:

I also have seedlings on my window sill. They are only cheapo grow kits from Poundland, but very good mini greenhouse pots with the soil & seeds included. I've got sunflowers & Sweet Peas growing.

Sid, the old fella brought me 2 trough planters to sow seeds in - bless him. I'm also saving yogurt pots & similar things to sow seeds in. I just need to get some more soil.

The soil that the moles dig up ie: mole hills, is fabulous compost type soil for growing stuff - I'm amazed!

Emma.x

As you are Mr/Mrs/Ms Potato (I'm sorry I don't know your real name!) could you tell me - have you ever heard of a variety called Melody? I bought a sack (whites) over the winter period, grown locally (ish) on Romney Marsh. They were delicious - you really felt like you were eating a potato if you know what I mean, they were particularly good baked. However, I have never heard of them, let alone seen them before. I was wondering if they were a new introduction. And while you are here ( :lol: ) I've saved some to plant, as I wouldn't know where to buy them. Am I wasting my time?

As you are Mr/Mrs/Ms Potato (I'm sorry I don't know your real name!) could you tell me - have you ever heard of a variety called Melody? I bought a sack (whites) over the winter period, grown locally (ish) on Romney Marsh. They were delicious - you really felt like you were eating a potato if you know what I mean, they were particularly good baked. However, I have never heard of them, let alone seen them before. I was wondering if they were a new introduction. And while you are here ( :lol: ) I've saved some to plant, as I wouldn't know where to buy them. Am I wasting my time?

http://www.alanromans.com/p-2052-melody.aspx

I more than likey have grown them but not for a while, growing from ware pototoes isn't good practice but I have to with one variety Equisia as it's the only way to get it so no you aren't wasting your time I do find that one supermarket chain tret their spuds with a growth inhibiter(sp) which stops them sprouting

Very anxious about my tomatoes lat night, because it went down below freezing here. I lit two large candles on the path of the greenhouse and it just kept the temperature above freezing, they look ok so far, so fingers crossed. My 3 Rosada plum tomatoes got a touch of cold the other night and have gone a bit dark in colour but they are still alive and I have a spare in the house.

I have just sown my Tomatoes & some Chives too - I don't like to do them too early so that when they are big enough to go out into the Greenhouse,I know there is no risk of frost at all (may usually)

I have also Freecycled a load of lovely wooden glazed Georgian frames that my husband replaced last week,to be made into cold frames, & several large sheets of corrugated plastic for cloches too,so am feeling very worthy :wink::angel:

I've got lot's of yogurt pots of sunflower seedlings growing on my windowsills. Have also got cherry tomato seeds due to germinate soon & Sweet Pea seedlings. They are quite tall now! My poached egg plant seedlings haven't germinated yet.

My 1st earlies will be going in soon, as will the carrot seed & other veg - very end of March or just into April. Have taken advice off Sid our Gamekeeper ( as we call him). :wink:

Will start the beans off indoors today, plus a few others pots of seeds.

There is still a touch of frost about - so not taking that risk!

Emma.x

Onion sets going in tomorrow & I'm going to get hold of some more cow muck ready for the spuds to go in next week. Hubby & Sid ( The Gamekeeper :wink: ), will be putting the spuds in for me.

I've also got 4 cuttings of lilac that have had root powder applied & are in pots indoors.

My poached egg plats have sprouted, plus still got loads of seeds to sow.

Emma.x