Cranberry

Should I kill her?

Sorry to hear about your hen Cranberry :( Reading through your original post I think that your request for advise got a little lost in your long post documenting 2 weeks of activity. Many members quickly dip in and out of the forum and speed read.

My heart does out go to the OP and the responses she received and which prompted her to no longer log in. People who argue the rights of animals and yet are so dismissive of human frailties give me more cause for concern. :talk2hand:

Sadly lengthy analysis and criticism of advise given with good intention may well result in members refraining from offering, or indeed seeking advise in future. Often with chronic debilitating disease the only advise that can be given is seek veterinary advise or cull. Hens showing symptoms of illness rarely 'self heal'. What frustrates forum members is when those seeking advise do neither and wait for animals to 'die naturally' often after some time. I am not saying that this happened in this case :) . I do feel that this has rather detracted from the question posted and is perhaps better discussed in a new topic for those that wish to debate the why and wherefores of animals welfare thus enabling the OP to move on from the trauma of loosing this hen.

isn't that just what we do with our old people in homes? :(:(

I wish someone to put me peacefully to sleep when I get like this and treat all my pets as I would hope to be treated.

I rather thought that the animal welfare act covered this anyway. :(:(

No darling, sadly not. When "old people" are put in homes, it is because those who could/should care are of the belief that they cannot. This is a reminder that we live in a very individualistic society without the values of religion to back up our moral arguments.

To be put to sleep when you reach that stage is the euthanasia argument and is very contentious.

I just wanted to say that I am incredulous that this has gone unchallenged on this, of all forums. The words 'holier than thou' and 'judgemental' have been tossed about in the thread. When someone lays down such exacting standards for the posts of others, perhaps they should apply them to their own comments.

When my elderly but beloved relative was put into a care facility, it wasn't a lightly taken decision, but one that had to be taken for his safety as well as that of others. To log on to this forum to find a random stranger making such a sweeping and offensive statement has quite shaken me up.

I find that this forum is generally self-moderating; if folks aren't too happy about a post or opinion, they either speak up, ask a moderator to intervene, or - as is often the best action - ignore it :D As a past moderator myself, I found that the people of the forum were made of pretty stern stuff and found no need for undignified on-forum squabbling. :D

'Tis a wonderful place... Omlet-world 8)8)

And generalisations are not aimed at anyone and therefore, not to be taken personally. (wish there was a hug icon)

I feel we should remember the whole context of the thread. :)

That my ""personal""feelings are that doing nothing is not an option, to simply be left to die, :( is wrong an against the animal welfare act. :(

That many people feel that helping a pet go with kindness and dignity, and prevent further suffering is something we are unable to give our human loved ones, who are nonetheless being treated, hopefully with appropriate pain relief. xxxx

When my elderly but beloved relative was put into a care facility, it wasn't a lightly taken decision, but one that had to be taken for his safety as well as that of others. To log on to this forum to find a random stranger making such a sweeping and offensive statement has quite shaken me up.

I do not believe I said people did this lightly? If you read my words again, you will note I said people do so because they believe they cannot do the caring themselves.

You state your personal experience and clearly it was a distressing situation for you and a hard decision for you to make and that is why you hold the opinion you do.

My opinion is based on both personal and professional experiences; not a glib comment posted to offend or shake anyone up.