Mrs Potts

Double Upset

Hello.

I posted on the chicken memorials yesterday that I had had to have Hett put to sleep yesterday. She hadn't been well for some weeks and as of yesterday morning, couldn't walk. She'd been refusing all food and drink so I did what I hoped was the decent thing. Hettie showed no other signs of illness (discoloured comb, for example). It was very sad but very peaceful for her and I brought her straight home.

I knew Blossom was subdued yesterday, and she spent over an hour with Hett's body yesterday afternoon. I had noticed that Blossom's comb was just a little dark blue at the tips, but that is nothing unusual except it happens in cold weather. Very sadly, I have just found Blossom dead in the egg box, only a little warm now.

I have taken her away and will obviously clean and disinfect everything as soon as possible. They were in the process of being dewormed but can't think of anything else. In the space of 24 hours, Leia has lost both Hettie and Blossom.

I had planned to get more ex battery hens when it became obvious Hettie would not last too much longer but now Leia is on her own and I haven't contacted the Trust to see when next re-homing is (would be willing to travel). However, Newland Poultry are just up the road.

I will leave it 48 hours to make sure that whatever Blossom had, Leia will not succumb to. After that, what do you think would be best for Leia - some more exbatts in a week or two or some POLs sooner?

Thank you.

Mrs Potts.

Thank you for all your kind thoughts and words. It was quite a shock, but on reflection Blossom always used to peck just underneath and to the side of Hett's beak and being half the size, we always thought of Blossom as our special needs girl so maybe they had a bond, or maybe I am romanticising and Blossom just went very quickly. She was positively bionic until yesterday morning when I took Hett into the main run in the box. When I checked her body this morning, there were no signs of leaking nose or vent or anything. :|

Ex battery rehoming at Alveley takes place 24th March and looking at Bristol/Malmesbury/Oxford/South Wales they are all on similar dates. I'm not actually sure Leia has noticed the other two are missing yet. We've kept her company and let her free range and she has had two lots of treats, but she was the outsider of the group and did things on her own, so maybe she will be ok.

So, hopefully three weeks tops?

Mrs Potts

oh that's so sad. and poor little blossom, maybe losing her friend was just a bit too much for her. if your remaining hen has been a bit of a loner anyway as you say, maybe she will be ok with being by herself until the next rehoming? especially with extra cuddles and attention!

So sorry to hear this. We have been in a similar situation this last week. We lost one of our original ex batts, Rosie, a week ago today to heart failure. Today we found one of our new girls, Cromarty, prolapsed and bleeding, so we sadly had to help her on her way to the hen house in the sky. It seems particularly sad to lose girls so close together.

I hope your remaining hen will be okay on her own until you can get her some new friends - I am sure she will be.

Very sorry to hear about Cromarty. It seems an inappropriate time to say that these were lovely names for your four hens. Sandy, I'm very glad they both went together - I think that's better for Blossom but thank you again for the kind thoughts.

And Leia .. well, Leia can't see the point of having other hens at the moment. She's getting a lot of hand feeding, special treats and chats during the day, as well as her own new heating pad at night as it is a bit chilly. She's been shouting at the next door neighbours cats (unusual) and spent a long time announcing today's egg, perching on a top branch and playing hunt the treasure (I've buried small pits of corn for her to scratch about in). No moping yet.

Best bit is that Mr Potts said she would be ok and he wasn't going up the garden to talk to her during the day. I came home unexpectedly (forgot something on my way to work) opening the front door as he opened the back door in the kitchen coming in from the garden ... still in his PJs ... looking sheepish with a "well, it was only a quick chat and a hand of worms!".

I have put my name down for a further three hens at Alveley rehoming on the 24th March, before Leia trains Mr Potts to let her live in the house and forgets what other hens look like.

Mrs Potts.

Very sorry to hear about Cromarty. It seems an inappropriate time to say that these were lovely names for your four hens.

Thank you - don't worry, not inappropriate at all. The shipping forecast theme was hubby's idea and chosen largely because we can keep going for some time until we run out of names!

Bet your girl is being spoilt rotten at the moment? (Especially by Mr P by the sounds of it!).