stehaggan

Swap my orange cube for a yellow one? haha

I love the colour, but if they are anything like the yellow eglus, they will be a devil to keep clean by all accounts.

Funny you should say that Clare - we have a yellow Beehaus and it still looks as good as it did the first day we got it (around 12 months ago now)...

The trick to keeping your Eglu/Beehaus clean and fresh looking (no matter what the colour) is to polish it with beeswax furniture polish as this will seal up the pores in the plastic and also help against the acidity in the bird droppings, making it easy to wipe down...

It works for me - maybe you should give it a go?

I lurve my yellow mark 1 Eglu and wouldn't swap it for all the tea in Sainsbury's. It is very battered and bruised now, as it must be 7 or 8 years old and is mainly used as a sick bay/sin bin. One day, when I have nothing better to do, I might just give it a treat and polish it with beeswax.

I love the colour, but if they are anything like the yellow eglus, they will be a devil to keep clean by all accounts.

Funny you should say that Clare - we have a yellow Beehaus and it still looks as good as it did the first day we got it (around 12 months ago now)...

The trick to keeping your Eglu/Beehaus clean and fresh looking (no matter what the colour) is to polish it with beeswax furniture polish as this will seal up the pores in the plastic and also help against the acidity in the bird droppings, making it easy to wipe down...

It works for me - maybe you should give it a go?

Would using bees wax stop you being able to use stickers to decorate?

Would using bees wax stop you being able to use stickers to decorate?
I expect so, and it might melt in the sun too. :?

Well, surely you could always apply your stickers before you applied the wax???

As for the sun, ours is showing no signs of melting away so I do not think you are likely to have any sticky situations!

Anyway, it was only a tip that I thought I'd share which works for me... Each to their own!

:wink:

:doh:

Why was this tip not mentioned before? My (cube purple) is all green on the top where the tree that it is underneath drips on it.Even if I pressure washed it it would still have bits of dirt on it, so it's a bit late to wax it now as it would seal the dirt in :(

Does anyone have any tips for cleaning the Eglu's BEFORE polishing with Beeswax? I find a plastic friendly scourer will do so much but has anyone else found anything that works? I have a pink Eglu which is discoloring on top - is it the more pastel colors that are the issue as the red one is OK.

Caroline

I had a pink rablu which was badly faded and discoloured, it was newer than my orange eglu but not in as good nick. I just used soapy water followed by an anti-mite treatment on all of them and neither was necessarily left in the sun any more than the other.

For what it's worth, they will all get marked to a certain degree; that's just natural wear and tear, but the pale colours do seem to tend to mark and fade more. Having sad that, they last far longer and are more robust than even the best wooden coops.

I only pressure wash mine a few times a year but when they get done it does a really good job so I'd say thats the best.

Otherwise scrub with Poultry Shield :D

My cube + classic are green and a bit faded, its all over so an only really tell when you take the egg port off. The Go is red but a different plastic, don't think its faded too much.

Need to collect my (orange eglu);)