BrightonSteve

No egg for 3 days - should I be worried?

One of our girls hasn't laid for three days and I'm not sure whether I should be getting concerned. She's a Sussex Light hybrid and has always been a slightly erratic layer, especially compared to her Columbian Blacktail flock-mate, but she's been laying pretty much daily since late January (over mid-Winter we only got one or two eggs a week). Her eggs vary in size (the last one was a big one) and sometimes have little 'bubbles' in the shell at one end.

I've been looking at the forums about egg-binding and she's not (yet) displaying any particular symptoms - she's her usual active self, eating properly (haven't seen her drinking but I haven't been around much today) and not hanging around the nest box, but when I pick her up and check her vent, I can definitely feel an egg there. At what point does 'not having laid for a few days' become 'egg-bound'? Would I be able to feel tomorrow morning's egg already, right inside her vent? She normally lays about 9am.

I've just shut them up for the night and they went into their house happily - I'll wait and see what state she's in tomorrow morning but is there anything else I should be looking for? Should I be sticking her in a warm bath for 30 minutes tomorrow morning, as a lot of the online advice suggests?!

How is she? If she's fit and not showing any signs of distress and eating and drinking I would probably go for the watchful waiting. If you are concerned an eggs stuck the vet could give an injection. :?

Thanks for the reply - she laid today while I was at work, thankfully - I'll keep an eye on her laying for a few days but luckily it seems I was worried prematurely!