Mr Rhode Island Red

Favourite song of all time

I was just thinking today about what is really the best song of all time. When you think about it, all the modern songs on the radio today have no depth. They have a catchy melody alright, but they just aren't memorable.

So I thought back to days gone by, (pre 2000) and finally decided that in my opinion, the best song of all time has to be either:

Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen

or

Don't Stop me Now by Queen

So what do all ye omleteers think yourselves?

Really difficult to decide as it changes over time, but it would probably be one of:

Teenage kicks The Undertones

London calling The Clash

Invisible Sun Police

Sisters are doing it for themselves Aretha Franklin and Annie Lennox

But I suspect another 60secs thought would come up with others I may even prefer to those :lol:

Tough question :D

I don't think I'd ever be able to say what the best song is, although I know what you mean about Bohemian Rhapsody - it was awesome at the time, the TOTP video, my grand-dad liked it and I liked it aged 10 or something! But the one I'd be saving when I'm on Desert Island Discs :lol: will be Nina Simone singing Summertime :D

My favourite 'pop' tune is probably Wonderwall because it has really good memories - my 4 best male friends linked arms around NYE, as we 4 couples walked across the fields under the stars, going to the pub, and they just belted it out into the frosty air, no houses within sight. Luckily they can sing 8)

But my favourite song that I like purely because I like it is 'A Forest' by The Cure 8) Its never going to make 'Best Song' though - its such a personal thing isn't it :D

Well mines a wierd one, as I love Musicals.

So mine is ' Tomorrow' from Annie. I like it because it is positive & when you're a bit ugh - I do think that tomorrow will be a better day. :D Plus I have the album of Annie & the instrumental prelude always reduces me to tears. It just tugs at the heart strings, because it reminds me of my Grandad. He was a well known trumpet player in Cheshire - hence us being a musical family. Any orchestral music just makes me go cold.

Oh & War of The Worlds I really like too!

I also like a lot of Barry Manilow music - Only the music though, not him. It's mainly because I like the words & the orchestral build of his songs.

Other favourites are The Magic Flute & Eine Kleine Nacht musik, by Mozart.

I have very very varied tastes. I think heavy metal is the only music I don't like.

Emma.x

But my favourite song that I like purely because I like it is 'A Forest' by The Cure 8) Its never going to make 'Best Song' though - its such a personal thing isn't it :D

Ditto - I would say A Forest is my all time fave song :D I specially love listening to the album version with the intro before it. Really builds up the mood.

I do have other loves, but this one still hits the spot :D

Nimrod is for me the most emotive piece of music. I have it on my ipod and whatever I am doing when it comes on, it stops me and gives me time to think. It is an important piece of music for me.

There is a bit of music from La Ronda (something like that and I think its by Puccini) which is in Room with a View, which I love more than anything.

Then again - Life on Mars, David Bowie - wow!

Oh gosh..this is such a tough one....

I agree with you Mr Rhode Island Red about some "pop" songs but not all popular music.......

As others have said though, my favourites really depend on the memories they bring back rather than for the quality of the music...

So my first choice would have to be Amigos by Santana...which brings back memories of whizzing round Rome in a Fiat 500 with my bf when we were young and giddy..

And then it's a close second between No Woman No Cry,(Bob Marley) and Famous Blue Raincoat (Leonard Cohen..but I like Jennifer Warnes version the best!)

Ditto - I would say A Forest is my all time fave song :D I specially love listening to the album version with the intro before it. Really builds up the mood.

I do have other loves, but this one still hits the spot :D

:clap: I never thought I'd find somebody else who likes this as much as I do :clap: I wonder if we are from the same vintage :lol: My brother had the excellent idea of making up a CD to give to his son when he was 18 of music from all the family which was important to them at around the same age - this was my choice, but I don't think my nephew was the least bit impressed :lol:

I love far too may songs,both modern & old,to have one stand out favourite.

It is also mood dependant :)

'Moon River' would be up there, along with Gershwins 'Rhapsody in Blue', & 'Fly me to the Moon' by Sinatra.

But so would 'One day Like This' by Elbow, 'Somewhere Over The Rainbow' by Israel Karmakawiwo'ole , '5 Years Time' by Noah & The Whale, 'No Surprises' by Radiohead, 'Nightswimming' by REM, 'Don't look back into the Sun' by The Libertines, & 'Seven nation Army' by The White Stripes.............................to mention but a few!

Have you seen her by the Chi Lites, makes me sob every time I here it.

Also Puppy Love by Donny (hangs head in shame) Scarey as I think I am goin back 35+ years, but it reminds me of happy times, me being a teenager and both my mum and dad being alive.

My taste in music has changed rather since then, but those 2 get me every time.

This may sound strange but I love Spirit In The Sky by Norman Greenbaum. I have told my family that I want it played LOUD at my funeral. :oops::lol::lol::lol: I do have many other favourites. :D

That's my my mums fave too & she wants it played at her funeral :roll::lol:

I can't think of any one specific song I love above all others. There's loads, but I'm completely rubbish at remembering song titles

More than a feeling - Boston (played very loud in the Defender)

You'd have it loud to hear it in a Defender!

Mine change all the time... at the moment it's a toss up between Wichita Linesman by Glenn Campbell and Gotten by Adam Levine/Slash. Currently listening to Need You Now by Lady Antebellum.

Too difficult to answer in a single song!! I have such diverse tastes. I agree mood and moment dependent. Four that always stop me in my tracks thought are Pachabel's Canon; Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd; The Theme from Schindler's List and Street Spirit -Radiohead

Edited by Guest

Barbara Streisand - What kinda fool. Her voice is amazing so really any of her songs! Same goes for Celine Dion...I love her voice.

Bohemian Rhapsody is an absolute classic and piece of art. My brother used to play it all the time when he came home on leave and sing at the top of his voice with his head phones on!! he couldn't sing!! :lol::lol: Very fond memories :D

Pachabel's Canon is another of my favorites as is 'Bring him home' from the musical Les Miserables.

I'll stop there before I get my box of 7" singles out!!! :lol::lol: